Instructor Ranking

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by firesprite, Sep 27, 2004.

1. firesprite

firesprite Irate Pirate

I was thinking of starting BJJ but the only club where I live is instructed by a purple belt, I don't know the grading system so I was wondering do others think thats a high enough level that it would be worth joining the club?
    Especially since from what I gather from the website it seems to be around NZ$25 for 2 sessions (~$50 US)

2. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I am no expert, but from what I understand it is not terribly unusual for an instructor to be at a purple belt level. It takes a long time to get a BB in BJJ and there aren't a lot of them. At a purple level your instructor should be able to teach you a long time before you catch up to him, assuming he never progresses himself. I know the purple belts at our club are phenomenal and I could easily train under them for a couple years and still be learning new stuff.

That is very expensive compared to what I pay for a BB in BJJ to be teaching me, are you talking about private lessons or a class? Are BJJ lessons traded on the stock exchange where you are? They seem to be worth more than gold!:eek: ;)

3. gakami

gakami Valued Member

Hi Lady Calynne,

BJJ has an arguably different belt ranking system to most other martial arts around today. There are only 4 belts in BJJ if you don't count the white belt.

White-Blue-Purple-Brown-Black.

The purple belt is the standard teaching belt in BJJ. It is the rank where you would already be armed with an arsenal of techniques, including a small selection of techniques where you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to perform on a lower ranked, fully resisting opponent. Purple is where you are starting to really refine your "game". Brown belt is very close to black belt, it's a belt where experience counts, giving you the edge.

As for the price you mentioned, it should be cheaper if you pay the monthly fee. Can I ask which BJJ school you are enquiring about? Is it the John Will-Machado BJJ schools?

*edited - I forgot to mention that the purple or brown belts are usually affiliated with a black belt head instructor, under the umbrella of a parent organisation. It is highly unusual for a purple belt to be running an indepedent BJJ school on his own, without a clear designated blackbelt head instructor somewhere above him.

*edited again! - if you have never had any grappling experience, I guarantee that you could train under a purple belt for at least 5-6 years before you got to purple yourself, by which stage the purple would've progressed to black!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

A purple belt as an instructor is perfectly ok, but the price does seem a bit steep.

Col

5. firesprite

firesprite Irate Pirate

Yeah it is under John Will, I'm not sure about the price though, what it did say was:

:p

After a price check:

The price is nz$40 unwaged or nz$50 waged a month, though womens only is $5 a session, once a week, maybe they'll let me do it for less if I only go to half the sessions, :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2004
  6. gakami

gakami Valued Member

Ah I think the $25 price they quoted was for single lessons, which sounds about right. They'd prefer if you signed up for a month at a time I think.

The Will-Machado BJJ schools are reputable, you'll get quality instruction.

Good luck!

7. firesprite

firesprite Irate Pirate

Cool, just wanted to make sure :) thanx!