Inside thigh pulled

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Yatezy, May 30, 2007.

1. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

As the title says ive pulled the inside of my thigh. Ive used the search function and have been unlucky in finding anything, sorry if ive over looked it and it is there though.

This has happen twice too me so it not a new injury. The two times ive done are from partner stretching in MT, the first time i did was at the end of the session and i over stretched totally (pushing it too hard) but i stopped going MT for just over a year after that so i never did stretch it after that session but i could always feel the injury in my leg when in certain positions.

I started back again last year and i could really feel the injury in my right inner thigh but as the sessions went on and i got used to stretching it would go. But ive felt it a few times over the last few months but nowt serious but in todays lesson it was really playing up so after warming up i did some stretching then midway through the lesson we did some partner stretching. I sat down and split my legs and my instructor placed her feet on my ankles and grabs my hands and pulls me towards her, stretching the inside of my thighs, it was fine on the first two strethes no discomfort as i was warmed up completely. I then made her open my legs a little bit more to stretch them a bit further and suddenly felt a snap in my thigh, so i stopped the stretching straight away (with a few well choosen words :D ). I continued the lesson as it felt fine and there wasnt a problem so no harm was done but as ive now well and truly cooled off my leg is killing me.

I know ive taken my stretching too far so its my own fault but ive had my legs open as far as that before, so im a lil confused to why its happened.

Ive rested this injury before and it had little effect, any suggestions on how to help recover and eventually strenghten it so it hopefully doesnt happen again? Cheers guys

2. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

It sounds like you may have strained or torn one of your hip adductor muscles. I remember doing this in Taekwondo in my teens (high up on the thigh people usually call it a 'groin strain', which is where I damaged mine). I took some time off to rest but I could feel it plague me months and months afterwards whenever stretching or practising high kicks. I could probably still feel it now over 20 years later if I was inclined to practice high kicking.

You might benefit from seeing a good sports physiotherapist. But from what you've said you may well have a permanent limitation there now - if its torn in the past there will be scar tissue there, which holds everything together but will also place a limit on flexibility.

I figure you have two choices - either learn to live with it / work round it OR, if you're really serious about your art (ie. professional) see a sports physio for expert guidance.

Mike

3. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Cheers mate, looks like ill have to live with it.

I can can high kick with my right leg but struggle with my left leg. The injury is on my right thigh so its seems its only gonna be a problem when its the supporting the kick.

Looks like ill be taking it easy from now on and not pushing it