inside leg kick

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by shs111, Sep 16, 2012.

1. shs111

shs111 Valued Member

Just wondering how yous like to set up the inside leg kick, I know a lot of people just simply throw it like a jab, what do yous think of that? and what do yous do to actually put power behind it? Also anyone have any good follow ups after they throw it or do you just move? Just looking for some ideas
    Thank you

2. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

1. Lead had jab, lead leg inside leg kick.
    2. 1-2 punch combo, lead leg inside leg kick.
    3. Push the opponent back, Inside leg kick on the forward leg.
    4. Instead of just stepping forward, Knee or kick the opponents leg while your foots already off the ground.
    5. When the oponent goes for a kick, kick his standing leg, Inside or outside (which ever is convenient at the moment)

these are some i use and can write down without confusing myself =P

3. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

Assuming my opponent and I are fighting with the same lead I usually follow with a right cross. In fact I use my inside leg kick to set up the cross more often than not.

If my opponent is a southpaw I try to keep my distance after the kick because I feel like I'm set up for his left.

4. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

They can be good as part of a takedown, but in general I don't consider them a technique worth using. I've always been taught kick to the hip and above.

5. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

[​IMG]

You'll be surprised on how effective an inside leg kick is, especially when you kick out your opponents supporting leg. If the low kick to the inside of the leg wasn't worth using then I would imagine that most full contact martial art styles wouldn't of incorporated it into their lists of techniques. The reason why it works so well is because above the knee in the inside of the thigh is a very large cluster of nerves (including the sciatic nerve - the largest nerve in the body that sends messages to and fro, from the brain to the leg and back again). It doesn't take much of a kick to send someone home limping if you hit in the right spot, hit hard enough and you can cause your opponent to temporally lose control over their leg.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  6. Grass hopper

Different styles use different techniques, leg kicks are a technique to weaken an opponent, in my style of karate its generally considered that you don't want to stick around long enough to wear them out, it's great for a longer sport type fight, but I'm talking about a self defense type thing. But if you can use that technique to incapacitate someone quickly, more power to you!

7. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I find the inside kick makes a great counter. One way how I use it is when I see my opponent about to throw a push kick; I pivot to the outside of the kick, catch the kick with my forearm and then I proceed to kick out the opponents supporting leg with a low kick to the back of their leg (just above the knee).

One way you can set up the inside low kick is with the simple jab and cross. Another thing you try is to feint the low kick first (to give the impression you're going to kick to the outside of their leg), switch step, then kick to the inside of your opponents leg.

It's important though that your feet are in the right position, otherwise you'll end up kicking to the outside of your opponents leg. Your kicking leg wants to be in the inside of your opponent (in between their leg's/their center line). Once your leg is there, its a matter of opening up your hips and pivoting on your supporting leg (like the kick to the outside of the leg). Its important like the low kick to the outside of the leg, that you kick straight ahead, there's no need to angle the kick downwards or upwards (unless you're sparring someone smaller or taller than yourself). Usually with the Thai styled low kicks, you angle the kick downwards after you've hit or missed the designated target.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AbDR4xpLUc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AbDR4xpLUc[/ame]

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I've handled quite a few encounters with nothing more than a simple knee strike or low kick to the outer thigh. If you can "dead leg" somebody with one blow it quickly takes the fight out of most knobs you'll encounter. Not to mention if you have to run it'll better your chances of getting away...

9. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Then why say they aren't worth using? :confused:

10. Grass hopper

I should have elaborated in that, I meant for self defense, sorry about the miscommunication :/

11. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

In self defense? Considering that the groin is all fair game when defending yourself, I would strongly encourage kicking to the inside of the thigh. If the kick to the groin misses, the kick to the inside of the thigh lands. But this isn't self defense we are talking about here, this is kickboxing and the OP is asking how he/she can set it up and land the kick.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Here is me sparring going for a inside leg kick on a team-mate who is is southpaw stance, I threw a wild round kick after being hit hard with a 1-2-1 combo.

I aimed for the thigh, and the impact shows, however the picture makes it look like I'm hitting the groin as the impact of the kick made my foot ride up the thigh and onto his groin. Helped me gain some distance and clear my thoughts (and bring my nose back in place)

Attached Files:

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If you can drop somebody in one shot with a technique, chances are it's good for self protection.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH8jazIETBs"]The effect of a thigh kick on the average person... - YouTube[/ame]

If you don't spar with low kicks, it's hard to understand how deceptively devastating they can be.

14. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

hey. in the beginning, i had to actually make an effort NOT to strike the groin accidently. Thats how easily an inside leg can translate to a nutty owchie =P

Plus. the iside legs hurts a WHOLE lot more than the outside leg. and takes almost no time to launch and hit. infact, i dont really see much of a way to avoid one if you were close range with your opponent and expecting one =/

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If that guy wasn't limping 2 days later I'd be amazed. Take one plumb like that and it's gonna hurt.

Mitch

16. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Now that's what I call a bulls eye to the sciatic nerve.

17. Grass hopper

Lol, ball kicks are another story all together! I've taken one too many of those while sparring, now that, is an effective technique!