Indonesian Movie??!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by incubus, May 10, 2012.

1. incubus

incubus Valued Member

A friend told me there is an Indonesian Martial Arts movie which is very popular at the moment, he heard the news on BBC . Anyone knows its name?

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

The Raid?

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

If it's not The Raid (and it probably is), it's Merentau (starring the same guy)

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Likely The Raid which is getting really good reviews.

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

6. incubus

incubus Valued Member

7. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Yup The Raid, doubt it's his earlier work Merantau Warrior

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

It would never be as good. Low budget Asian movies like this tend to have more heart and soul put into them.

9. CrowZer0

Not only that, but their lower budgets go a long way! Ever seen a Bollywood movie? They look top notch for something less than a million dollars!

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

*cough* financed by criminals *cough*

11. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

has anyone here seen The Raid yet? it was on general release from friday, a colleague went that night, I'll hear about it tomorrow and if any good go during the weekday to get one of the cheapseats :) if i lose this cough that is

12. CrowZer0

I don't see your point?

13. Mangosteen

they get a heck of a lot more than a million pounds. and most the money they get comes from less than legal sources. and their profits also go to less than legal sources.

it's how they're able to fly the actors and crew out to holland and shoot a single scene like dancing on a mountain top in every movie!

14. CrowZer0

I think you need to learn a bit more about Bollywood before making blanket statements.

15. Mangosteen

there have been numerous cases of high profile bollywood director and actors being shot or even caught with funding from gangs.
    Chori Chori Chupke Chupke is one that springs to mind and that was a pretty famous movie too.

my father also worked in the industry for a number of years and is friends with a number of people in that industry - they do get a good amount of criminal funding because finance are not regulated.
    even if they don't recieve directfunding from gangs members they'll recieve it from people involved in those areas and they have to undoubtedly bribe their way through a number of politicians.
    What they anounce and what they recieve are different things.

heck dont tell me hollywood doesnt have some dodgy people in there.

16. CrowZer0

I'm perfectly aware of criminal involvement in Bollywood, but not EVERY movie, I'm aware of director kidnappings and actors and so on. Also aware that many actors are affiliated with gangsters, I was talking more about the dancing in a mountain in Holland. Chori Chori Chupke Chupke was in no sense of the word famous. I didn't say anything about Hollywood.

17. Mangosteen

oh - the dancing on the mountain tops was a joke on a typical (pretty random) scene in bollywood movies. wasnt being serious about it in EVERY movie!
    i always found it funny - one moment they're in downtown mumbai and dirt poor - the next they're dancing on a mountain in holland!

cmon chori chori chupke chupke had one of the world's most annoying songs. famous for how overplayed it is.

back to my original point - many bollywood movies dont need to declare their finances and can get funding from else where - im sure a number of film industries world wide recieve similar backing so i doubt their budget is as small as they say.

18. CrowZer0

19. Mangosteen

20. CrowZer0

Now considering John Carter cost hollywood 250 million... I think Bollywood does a pretty good job.