Indian Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by onyomi, Nov 23, 2005.

1. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

www.kalariworld.com

Has anyone had any first-hand experience with the Indian martial arts of Kalaripayatu or Kathina Yoga? I've read alternately that it is the world's most ancient martial art, practiced by both Bodhidharma and the historical Buddha, or that it is an invention only of the last 500 years. Has anyone witnessed these arts in action? Are they stylistically reminiscent of CMA? Are there any legitimate schools in America? Any info would be much appreciated.

2. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Saw a video of them at a Tai Chi seminar in Ireland once, someone brought it along, had a part on Tai Chi, but the Indians were on it too.

Was very impressive to see, going hammer and tongs with sword and small shield blindfolded, and it hardly looked like a set form. Some of the other stuff they done too was impressive as well, seems a really good and interesting art.

No first hand experience however, but I know think twice if I am going to give a waiter any jive in an Indian resturaunt! :D

3. Viking

Viking Valued Member

hi Oyonomi,

Kalaripayattu is an ancient art.There are mainly three branches of Kalripayattu.Northern(Vadakkan),Central(Madhya Keralam) and Southern(Thekkan).

The Northern style is very popular and it contains a lot of weapon training that includes sword and shield ,long stick,and a very dangerous flexible sword called 'Urumi'.The unarmed training consist of diisarms,locks ,throws and MarmaAdi(pressure point attacks).The northern styles are mainly practiced by the upper caste people of kerala and mainly this style is used to settle the problems between the royal families.Two Highly Skilled Kalrai experts will fight in a Angathattu(it's a type of ring ,something like that) with weapons until one die's.So it's mainly one -to-one Fighting and so it contains advanced techniques.There were families called 'chekavars' who trained fighters for this confrontations.Most of the fighters were these family members.So there were many family styles with in Northern systems. 'Thulunadan',Kadathanadan' are some of the famous styles.

The Northern styles are very beutiful to watch contains a lot of high leaps and jumps and the guys are extremely flexible(There is a special massage (Uzhichil)with an ayurvedic oil for the flexibility).The style is well promoted by the government of Kerala.

Here is a Northern style(Vadakkan) website
    http://www.kalaripayattu.org/index.htm.You can see some good pictures and there's a movie section too .

As i dont have any experience in kung fu i cant compare the both,but it's completely differant from the kung fu in movies.But i have seen a site on Tibetan Lama kung fu ,they compared it to kalripayattu and showed some similarities in the moves.And i saw some simiarities between Kalaripayattu and Silat.

If you have seen Ong-Bak, the Krabi- Krabong showed in the end of the movie is very similar to kalripayattu I have seen.

It's said that in the ancient days there were a lot of budhist monastries in South India.

If you are still interested I can give you some information about the Central and Southern styles(Thekkan,which is differant from the Northern counterpart)

Thank You
    Viking

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

No first hand experience, but came across this a while back which I saved, the history of this particular tradition (sikh) is there too http://www.gatka.de/

I have seen some documentary about kalaripayattu, and an indian classmate of mine studied a little in the way of weapons in his younger days back home, and it shows when he handles a stick. If I get to class early he's more often than not to be found going through some stick work.

From what I've seen Indian arts look and sound very interesting & plenty of focus on weapons.

Viking would I be right to presume that klpt is hindu? or is that not an issue?

5. Viking

Viking Valued Member

Hi Geo,
    The history and traditions of Kalaripayattu is linked to Hinduism.But you know the central styles(Madhya keralam) is mainly practiced by the Muslims.And even there are Christian Asans(Masters).Religion is not at all a problem in studying the art.
    Thank You
    Viking

6. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Yes, I would be interested in any further info. you can provide, Viking. Have you ever studied it yourself, btw? What about Kathina Yoga? Is that a substyle of Kalaripayattu? Thanks. :)

7. zenbaseballbat

zenbaseballbat New Member

i studied all 3 kalari styles a bit in india.... they're quite nice arts...

where are you based? i know a few people teaching it and might be able to hook you up

8. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

This owns, i've been looking for Details on this very martial art, tho i forgot its Name, so i couldnt ask *Very Embarassed*...

9. Viking

Viking Valued Member

hi Oyonomi,

The Central Tradition of Kalaripayattu is an offshoot of the northern style(Vadakkan).The differance is mainly in the footwork.The northern tradition moves in a straight line,but the central tradition ,the footwork is more like a square pattern.The central tradition is mainly designed to fight gainst multiple oponents.This style is used by the chavers(rebel warriors that belong to a suicide squad) to kill the King 'Samoothiri' during the festival of 'Mamankam'.These festival was held in every 12 years.The king would stand in a stage in one end ,guarde by 10,000 guards(kalari experts as well).The Chavers had to penetrate through this defence and to kill the King.It never happened ,but king got wounded several times.So footwork was very important in the training.

Unfortunately,I dont have any experience in Kalaripayattu..

And about Kathinayoga,from what i read ,it's complete system which give more emphasis on internal energy.It's based on Vedas and it focus in the development of 'Kundalini'(an internal energy',i think it's differant from 'Chi').'Kundalini' resides on the lowest part of human backbone .As a person gets deeper and deeper into meditation,the kundalini progressivelly rises to certain points thereby unleashing extremely powerful and myriad form of energy. It is said that Old famous hindu saints got their Wisdom and Mystical power ,by the awakening of 'Kundalini' in the highest level,with each progression of kundalini from the backbone to the summit of the mind.

Excellent book on Kalaripayattu.
    Kalaripayyat,India's Ancient Martial Art
    By DH Luijendijk.

It deals with the history and explanation about the styles.

Thank You
    Viking

10. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

I think the "Prana" in Yoga and the "Qi" in CMA are probably the same thing. I think the Kundalini path in Kundalini Yoga probably corresponds to the TCM chong-mai (thrusting vessel), which runs from the tailbone, behind the governing vessel and up to the forehead via the back of the neck. If you can channel enough qi into this vessel to bring it up to the brain it is supposed to result in religious experiences, enlightenment, etc. The most I've ever experienced is a sense of calm, heightened awareness or lucidity...which I would probably attribute to increased oxygen to the brain or some such... but who knows what's possible?