Increasing wrist width

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Zinowor, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I want to increase the width of my wrists because they're quite thin at the moment. I know it is genetically determined, but I was wondering if there are any exercises that may help towards this goal if only a little. I've been doing grip training with the Captains of Crush grippers for a while now and managed to get up to around 90 kilos. I can easily close the #2 but the #2.5 seems infinitely far away, so I was thinking doing wrist exercises might help in a collateral fashion.

I looked around on the internet, but there's always all kinds of "experts" that tell you about some amazing exercise you can do to increase the size of "whatever" :eek: in just under 2 weeks.

So yeah, I trust the people on this forum a lot more than them. :)

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

wrists don't grow. there is nothing in there that grows. supposedly you can thicken tendons with extremely heavy loads and partial reps, so maybe holding the grippers closed for time, or doing holds for time off heavy rack pulls might do something..

why do you want to make your wrists thicker anyway?

3. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

It seems a little odd to me to focus on such a specific part of the body. I'd give farmer's walks a try, though they mostly work the forearms, they also work a lot of other parts as well. I don't think I've ever seen someone with big arms and small wrists.

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'd work on reducing your vanity, rather than expanding your wrists.

Not a joke.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Thin wrists can make your forearms look beefier anyway

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Heavy pulling movements combined with some focused grip work can thicken your wrists somewhat but mostly through the enlargement of the tendons. Some sledgehammer levers, plate wrist curls, and farmer's walks will help a lot. You can't expect much though even in the long run - a quarter inch at best is all I've ever added.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Anybody got any advice on getting thicker knees?

:confused:

@ Zinowar - is this question stemming from boxing and not hurting your wrists with punching? I notice you post a lot in threads involving boxing. If that's the case then just general grip/hand strength and fore-arm development is sufficient to stabilize the wrists for striking. Also, hand wraps. If that's not why you're asking then I'm just as lost as anybody else here : P.

8. David Harrison

That's all about angle, not width.

Tendon strength, yes, but that's not going to enlarge your wrists any more than Kuma described.

9. Ero-Sennin

I'm assuming Zinowar is having problems with his wrists when hitting things due to his activity in boxing threads. Whether his question is posed strangely (wrist width) or is literal, the advice being given applies to developing stronger wrist stability (meaning less injury/discomfort) with hitting things. I wasn't addressing making your wrists wider in any way :p

When all else fails though, I'm sure there is some type of steroid that will increase bone size. HGH makes your face bones bigger, not sure about your wrists though.

Edit: Angle yes, but that angle is often held by muscles keeping the hand in that position. If those muscles are compromised by force (being too weak to hold the correct angle) than injury occurs.

10. David Harrison

If you really want thicker joints, break them a few times and don't go to hospital :p

11. Ero-Sennin

Almost a verbatim story of my middle knuckled on my right hand.

12. David Harrison

If it's about strength, and not aesthetic worries, then grip training, wrist rotation with weight/resistance and knuckle push-ups would be my advice.

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Just realize that the OP was asking wrist and not waist.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  14. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

thick wrists are overreated look at jon jones

15. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

they also help allot if you want to choke somone out !

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Old saying said that your

- back should look like the back of a tiger,
    - waist should look like the waist of a wasp.

Just realize that the OP was asking wrist and not waist.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  17. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Hairy? Eeeewwww!

Can't figure out one for the wasp. Any help??

18. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I think it means you should be able to use your stinger more than once and without dying.:cool:

19. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

apparently a lot of top level bodybuilders have small wrists, including Arnie

20. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I have a goal to close the #3 CoC gripper, but I also want to increase the width of my wrists for vanity reasons. By the time I could do 30 reps with the #1 my wrists became ridiculously strong. Now when I punch the bag at an awkward angle, my fist barely bends. So those problems are a thing of the past.

The steroid part made me laugh out loud. :D