"In your face" fighters

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TNT Tommy, Aug 15, 2005.

1. TNT Tommy

TNT Tommy New Member

I recently had a kickboxing match with a guy that I hate and vice versa. We never really had any respect for each other.

During the introductions we were in each others faces, nose to nose, staring hatefully into each other's eyes.

I WAS PUMPED!!

I ended up winning the fight, but it was quite a battle.

I've seen other fighters do the same thing. During the introduction of the rules the fighters are in each other's faces. I think it's pretty immature and stupid, but if someone gets in my face, I'll get right back into his.

TNT Tommy

2. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

There is a lot of inherent danger when this happens, as the conflict stretches beyond sport competition and turns into a genital swinging ego contest. This is often unavoidable, but hopefully a rarity and not the original purpose for continued training.

Martial arts is about the supression and mastery of the ego...not the gratification of it.

If I were in a situation to compete with someone I REALLY hated (but didn't fear), I'd probably choose not to compete against that person. My ego would get in the way, I'd do whatever I could to win (since the ego won't let you lose and keep the confidence inherent in your identity), I wouldn't be competing for the sport or the art...I'd be doing something that I stand against.

If someone gets in my face (and they have...many times), I'll simply try to defuse the situation. I'd try everything within my power to turn the enemy into a friend, or at least a neutral bystander. Even if my "ego" BURNED, I'd like to think (and I have in the past) that I'd react with my mind and not my pelvis.

Of course, if they lay a hand on you or otherwise threaten your safety, then that is a TOTALLY different story.

May you achieve
    Satori

3. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

ok...?

4. Punch-Kik-Choke

Punch-Kik-Choke Banned Banned

hmm. you should probably stay away from this sort of thing, it REALLY isn't what training is all about. it dishoners both him, and yourself. It's also a sign of somebody who isn't as confident as they should be.

That said I have a story from tonight, that relates.

small class tonight at BJJ, which is awesome, it's like a private lesson.
    4 people in total.

the too bigger guys (both above 200) paired off. I got stuck with this 18 year old kid on his third week of training.

standard class like this we learn three moves from a position, and rep them soft at first, then gradually increase resistence, and at the end of class go live.

so we're repping chokes and arm locks from side contol.

I'm on bottom and he's repping a kimora from side.

Every dang time he kranks the move hard, FAST. Not even giving me time to tap. I'm like "ok. calm down...technique. technique"

Now we're doing a gi choke from knee on belly.
    He's kneeing me in the jewels, going wayyyy too fast, choking HARD.
    This is really getting to me. I'm feeling sick almost.

ok, time to go live.

We're starting from side control here though. Guy on top looks to submit, guy on bottom looks to escape or improve position.

I choked and arm-barred this poor kid in every way I knew how for 10 minutes. I gave him back every prolonged choke and obnoxious neck-crack I could think of.

I didn't hurt him (really) but I sent a definate message.

I feel kinda bad about it.
    Just saying that no ones above that kind of thing.

5. ManabiMashoMan

ManabiMashoMan Banned Banned

Nearly every boxer in the world and kickboxer studies thier next oppenant, learning thier moves, watching tapes. and they also have pictures of thier oppenant pasted around thier house they are to visualize anger into that person. I know managers that would make you do situps and they would tell you stories over n over again of "What if" about the oppenant hurting your or a family member.

Most of this is not well known to the public but in a ring when its all bout the pride, title, and money, there is no reguard to the other guy. I have been in judo competitions and studied my oppenant but never gave into anger because in my feeling Im representing M.A. but I when in a Tough Man Contest, or if ever in a UFC type match I would have so much anger and hate flowing from me for each guy I had to fight that the air itself would taste like Death.

Just know when to turn it on and when to shut if off I would say.

6. Simple

Simple New Member

yo

next time u should had kiss him when his face is up againt urs

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Sounds like repressed desire to me. You love him don't you? Be honest now...

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

mind games can be very effective. some people couldnt care less if you are going mental at them, for some people a good staredown can be unnerving. look at Wanderlei Silva.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Ikken hits it on the head.

Much of what you dealt with Timmy Boy is the mental ruckus that is part and parcel with MA's like Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai.

Your attitude served you well in that it allowed you to be agressive enough to win the match. There are some advantages to that... and there are some possible down sides to it as well.

Obviously you wouldn't want to use this as your standard approach to all of your bouts... but judging from what you've posted it doesn't sound like it... it sounds more like this cat just rubs you the wrong way. It happens.

There are many examples of this in the Pride and UFC match ups... some of stare downs are horrific. Enough to cut through plate steal. Yes, Vanderlai Silva being at the top of the heap... Severn being another one...

One of my favorite fighters who is a great fighter but seems to come of looking like a schoolboy in his staredowns is Sakuraba. LOL! I bet many people have been put off by that strategy. :D

I think this issue has more to do with MA's where there is a direct competitive element. MA's that don't have full contact bouts probably don't have much of this.

In Kickboxing, Muay Thai and Boxing... there has always been the prevailing attitude that you run your fight like you run a crack deal... nobody just pops in and scores without paying for it!!! :eek:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  10. TNT Tommy

TNT Tommy New Member

I should have explained that this guy uses this technique with everybody because he thinks he's a tough guy. He's a pretty good fighter, but his anger gets in the way. He's lost more fights than he's won.

I was pumped when I learned that I'd have the chance to fight him cuz I knew he was gonna get in my face like he does with all the other fighters he fights against and I just wanted to give him a taste of his own medicine.

I won the fight because his anger was causing him to make stupid mistakes.

Someday he'll learn.

TNT Tommy

11. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Good analogy... :D
    I'll have to remember that one...

12. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

Pretend inferiority and encourange his arrogance - Sun Tzu

;)

13. I'd echo that. What works best for you. I found that generally, a cold, hard stare works best for me. Look streight through them, as if they didn't exist. In traditional arts, and sports karate it may be unacceptable or dishonourable, but in kickboxing or boxing it isn't. Why not get the edge over your opponent?

14. hux

hux ya, whatever.

that's what I was thinking, grab the back of his head and really lay a full mouth smooch on his ass :) I bet it'd be the last time he ever did that crap.

15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I know I failed biology, but when you grab the back of someone's head and you kiss his ass.....and he does a crap......

is that....wrong?

:D:D:D:D:D :confused: :eek: :p :D :confused: :eek: :p :D

16. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i HATE the stare down. i have been in quite a few fights, and im very vicious when the bell rings. but im mainly a wistle to wistle guy. in between i never know what to do. i could actually be frendly and bear them no ill will. I even say "nice round".

the stare down i find kinda funny. i never know what to do. im like "so your staring mean at me...so should i stare back. if i do it comes off as fake. if i look away (like i ussally do i look like a punk).

i mean why are you mean mugging me ...were about to fight anyway.

btw dont you find that all that intimidation goes away (ether way) in the first 30 sec.

me im alway most scared before the fight

17. Punch-Kik-Choke

Punch-Kik-Choke Banned Banned

I just look straight ahead, try to show no emotion at all.

Ever watch Fedor (Pride HW champion)? his stare-downs are the best because the man is so cool and composed he looks like a cyborg.

18. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

thats because he IS a cyborg :D