In the words of an English poet: "OO are Yer?"

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Taiji Butterfly, Apr 21, 2005.

1. hegu

hegu Valued Member

Helo everybody!
    I'm 29 years old and i have been living the taichi for about 8 years. Been doing the 24, 88, 42, and 48 forms for five years. For 3 years now I'm doing the Old Yang style from Yang Shao Hou (Earl). I hope to learn Smal frame in the future. It gives my everything i need and it's so much different than standarised Peking form. So much powerfull and in the same time so relaxing!
    Having fun reading all your posts guys :)
    have fun

2. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

Hey Butterfly. I'm 19 and a college student down at the University of Illinois CU; study aero engineering. I started studying kuk sool won at the same time and am currently a blue belt going on red. Don't do taiji, but am considering starting up next fall, which is how I ended up going through that whole dan tien post in the first place.

3. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

I'm 23, I've been studying taiji for one year today. I study Yang taiji under Bao Tak Fai (Bob Boyd) the 2nd disciple of the late Ip Tai Tak. Still working on the long form.

4. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Oo I are :)

When I was much younger I began martial arts with about three years of judo and then three more of karate. When I went off to college at Washington University in St. Louis I found a Kung Fu school there that taught Southern Shaolin Wuxing-quan and Yang Taiji. I studied there as much as possible while pursuing a double major in Japanese and Chinese studies. Along the way I also studied abroad in Beijing where I learned some Chang-quan, and in Kyoto, where I sadly neglected my martial arts studies in favor of consuming voluminous amounts of green tea and sweets.

After graduating I decided I was pretty happy with my Japanese but still not too satisfied with my Chinese, so I applied for a scholarship at the Mandarin Training Center at Taiwan Normal University in Taiwan. I spent two years there, where the focus of my studies became less and less on Chinese language and more and more on studying with a great teacher I found there, Zhou Baofu. With Shifu Zhou I studied Chen Taiji, Buddhist Qigong, Mizong-quan and a bit of Northern Praying Mantis. He kindly gave me his complete DVD collection before I left and so I continue to study Praying Mantis in particular by using these DVDs.

I am now getting ready to go to Law School this fall in my hometown of New Orleans. Besides continuing to study my Shifu's DVDs and practicing the forms I already know, I found a good Chen Taiji teacher here, who has studied with Yang Yang in Illinois. I learned the Lao-jia yilu and Paochui from shifu Zhou and am now studying the Xinjia with my current teacher. I hope Chinese martial arts will continue to be an important part of my life... and I intend to do all I can to make it so. :)

5. R Strausbaugh

R Strausbaugh One Mild and Lazy Guy

I have a background in Kenpo, but in order to re-hab a busted shoulder I took up Taijiquan. Started in April 2001. My instructor, George Harper, is a student of William C.C. Chen, and has also taken instruction from Professor Jan Bi, Ted Knect, and Almonzo Lamoreaux. Along with WCCC's short form, long form, and sword form I've learned Taiji saber, the Beijing 8-movement and 24 movement forms, the CMC 37-movement form, and I recently started learning a Wudang cane form. We also work on push-hands, qigong, and form application.
    When I say "I've learned", it doesn't mean I claim any real level of proficiency. I can merely replicate the movements, and am now in the process of rasping off the jagged edges.
    Gongfu Fan, is this Master Chen Bin? If so, I saw him at the Asian Festival this year. Very impressive. Any chance he'll be coming back to stay?

6. Fawkes

Fawkes New Member

Let's see, When I was in my early teens I had a Korean neighbor in San Diego who was my age. He started showing me some Tae Kwon Do, and I eventually started taking lessons at a school down the hill from where we lived. After two years, and earning my blue belt, we moved back to Washington state, in a small Navy town that had no MA schools in the area.

So here I am years later, living in Seattle, wanting to get back in to shape and I've always loved how Tai Chi looked. So I'm beginning that journey now... and may be adding in some Wing Chun Kung Fu very shortly.

7. kudarat

kudarat Valued Member

I'm 36 living near Newcastle.Started judo then shotokan when I was 12 for 3 years.Drifted in and out for years until I started Ninjutsu at 27.Had about five years on and off(wife/child etc),tried a bit Muay Thai,JiuJutsu,Wing Chun and finally settled into Filipino Martial Arts.I've always had an interest in internal arts but have never found a suitable teacher.Read loads of books/magazine articles done some standing/qigong until I attended a workshop with Alex Kozma who taught us spiral force applications of BaGua and Taiji.This was my first real taste of IMA and have been hooked since.The depth of these arts is endless.I have since dropped the Filipino stuff and started a Taijiquan class which I am finding fascinating.Also practising lots at home(tai chi form/xingyiquan/circle walking/qigong/nei gong/standing practice) I don't think I will ever go back to external arts again.

8. RobP

RobP Valued Member

I did some judo and boxing when I was a kid, then in 1981 started traiing tai chi under John ding. Met and / or trained with most of the "names" in the UK, as well as people like Ji Jian Cheng, Yap Cheng Hai, Erle Montaigue and others. My last tai chi teacher was Vincent Chu from the Gin Soon school in Boston USA.

Edited a couple of magazines in my time, Tai Chi International and Tai Chi & Alternative Health, wrote a few articles, appeared in a book and made a DVD series.

These days I've switched over entirely to Russian Systema, but that's another story.....

9. Fawkes

Fawkes New Member

If you don't mind me asking, what is the name of the DVD series?

10. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Hi

It's the Yang Family TCC series. Eight titles on long form, sword, broadsword, staff, applications, self defence, qigong, two man form.

Not sure that I'm allowed to directly link to my shop set from here but you can PM for it if you like

Cheers

Rob

11. Kalamondin

Kalamondin Valued Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this board, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I am 29, and have been studying Yang family tai chi chuan since I was 18. I started wtih a student of Master Yang Zhen Duo's in college, and continued afterwards with M YZD's grandson Master Yang Jun. I've been very lucky to study with him ever since. Tai chi chuan is the only martial art I've ever studied (barring one Ki Aikido class, and a semester of self-defense).

I originally started practicing for health and stress-reduction, but have gotten more and more interested in the martial end of things. I've been studying push hands for about 5 years now and it's my favorite part. I enjoy the challenge of practicing how to stand against and unbalance opponents who are larger and stronger than I am (they all are--I'm short and female). I've learned the Yang sword and saber forms but mostly practice the long form. I've been teaching beginning hand form classes, at my teacher's request, for three years now.

My fundamental interest in tai chi chuan is about mastering myself--I haven't gotten there yet, but I'm working on it!

Best wishes,
    Kal

12. onenumber7

onenumber7 New Member

Hi everyone
    Started on the Tai chi path about 12 months ago , began with classes for health and relaxation which was just moves taken from the form (Wu dang style) , this became a bit repetitive, so found a class locally which taught Cheng man ching style , this I found to be very good but unfortunately after a short time the class closed down ! However I then found a class teaching Chen style , I have been there for about 3 months now and I am really enjoying it , I am just at the end of part 1 of the 19 move short form.
    I have no previous Martial art experience but wish I had done something years ago , but then perhaps that would not have been the right time for me.
    I am 50 years old (51 on Saturday) so I am a late starter, but hopefully will make up for lost time.
    Cheers

13. tpyeon

tpyeon Valued Member

hello everybody,

my name is tim, been practicing tjq for, oooh, about 8 years now with kam lau up in liverpool. started off doing yang then moved to chen. um. love training and am currently in china doing just that!

14. littlewarrior

littlewarrior New Member

hi well im new to this site and well here go's
    im 22 i have been a practioner of cmc taiji since 2000 and now am living in asia to further my education on eastern martial arts mainly silat taji bagua xingy, i do not practise for health i do because i enjoy doing it.
    there is not alot to really say at this point but hopefully you will see me around soon

15. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

Hi there. another noob reporting in. :)

I have been a student of Tai Chi Ch'uan for the past 20 years and counting.
    For the first 3 years in North-West Scotland, I studied under Master Rupert Coping: who learnt/qualified in China (he is also a Kung Fu Master, what grade I don't know).

I achieved no grade, in my defense however; the Master used me as 'the opponent' to demonstrate martial application of the Form. He would also have me demonstrate the basics to beginners. By the time I moved away I could attempt the whole Form left and right.

Since leaving Master Rupert's correct teaching, every morning and evening (with VERY few exceptions) I have practised to the first natural closure-point. A few minutes only :eek: , and I've forgotten most of the rest of the Form :eek: :eek: . I'm getting on a bit now and feel it's time to up the pace. So I'm here to learn and hopefully contribute constructively on a very (of late anyway) lively forum.

I read somewhere that three thing are required to become proficient; natural aptitude, correct teaching and perserverance. Only the last two are strictly necessary. Hence, given I had correct teaching I comforted myself through the 'lonley years' in that at least I could apply the latter. I have checked out several teachers and none offered the style I was taught. I'm still looking.

I'm a 46 year old, six-foot-small (150 lb) Irishman living near Aberystwyth in Wales, UK. I run a UVA Fugitive kitcar, read SiFi, tweak my computer to play games and sing in a choir.

your ever humble and eternal begginer, Mike.

16. slomojo

slomojo New Member

I started Tai Chi about 9 months ago because I got in a fight and got my ass kicked. I didn't start tai chi to learn how to fight, I started it to learn how to harmonize or empathize better. I trained for 3 months in Jeff Bolts school yang style, and then went off on my own. I am about to start a class in chen style. Lately when I start doing Chi Kung at the poker table, my reads are so good its scary.

17. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

I'm here

Steve Rowe - haven't been around here for a while, done Yang style for around 30 years, started with Simon Wyard, and then around 10 years ago started private lessons with James Uglow who introduced me to Ma Lee Yang in Hong Kong (Yang Sau Chung's daughter) made several training visits to her and still train with James.

Run a full time Centre in Chatham Kent teaching Karate and Tai Chi, teach in several european countries and all around the UK. Know a few of you on the list here. Hi Butterfly and Rob.

18. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Hey Steve.
    Never had a chance to train with you, but have heard good things :) Nice to have you on the boards.

James

19. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

Hi there Steve, hope you have a good time getting to know us all.

Where in Chatham are you based as I stay in Chatham when I go and see the guys and gals in Rochester who I train with until I move down there for good. Taiji has taught me a lot since I've been training with the group and they are a good bunch of wonderful people.
    anway good to meet you,
    lisa xx

20. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

My centre is the red and black converted chapel on Chatham Hill, if you go to my website www.shikon.com there is a picture and map on there.