In A World Without Kuk Sool?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Herbo, Aug 10, 2008.

1. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

I never set out to do martial arts, or kuk sool in particular, I just kinda fell through the door. If I hadn't have started when I did, I probably wouldn't be doing it now, I accidently made one of those life changing decisions the minute I walked through the door of the TA centre for the first time.

Having said that, if I couldn't train in kuk sool, i really don't know what i'd do. I like the idea of muay thai, but i'm not interested in the fighting/competition side, more so the actual training. The same would go for jujitsu/bjj, i'd like to do more groundwork but i'm not prepared to do less kuk sool to fit in the time.

2. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Prior to KSW I had studied JMA & CMA. I learned good *rigid* rules of etiquette from the first, and more fluid movement from the second. I wasn't disloyal to either discipline, as I only switched due to circumstances beyond my control (relocation of either myself or my instructor, etc.). When I was yet again forced to look for something else, I decided to pursue my interest in joint-locks and falling. I first explored Judo and then Aikido, tho found both of them somewhat lacking (maybe if I had stumbled upon a DRAJJ institute it might have been different ;) ). So, I then decided to seek out a HKD studio and that's when I found KSW.

I suspect I'd be doing some kind of HKD or possibly kempo (which I dabbled in briefly) if no KSW existed. I had also done some yoga before getting involved with MA and so I was especially fascinated by the similar aspects of KI GONG found in KSW. It's quite possible I'd have gravitated to more of an eclectic style of learning stuff despite that cross-training was frowned on by most styles back in those days (where would the fate of MMA be if x-training wasn't so popular?), so it's really hard to speculate as to which system I would have devoted my allegiance.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  3. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

One of the hardest aspects of kuk sool for me to incorporate into forms etc was fluid movement as I has a residual rigidity from my years of karate training.

Cheers to all who got the thread back on topic, I was unable to post for a few days or I would have clarified my original intention, which Willow thankfully did for me :)

4. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Though I don't practice KSW, the thread has me scratching my head all the same.

I think if I were not practicing Hapkido I would most definitely be practicing a traditional style of Chinese MA..... and quite definitely a Northern tradition rather than a southern. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

5. JSun

JSun Valued Member

I tried that school out for about three months. All forms, no chuan. I like his class, though. 45 minutes of conditioning followed by 45 minutes of forms. The sensei is in amazing shape for his age. It did get me interested in the idea of forms, though, which ultimately is what helped spark my interest in the Kuk Sool Won.

6. ember

ember Valued Member

Tai Chi / Kung Fu school

He wouldn't let me watch a class / practice session. At the time, I considered this a big red flag. I've since had similar experience with another CMA school not wanting spectators, which makes me wonder if that's "normal" for a CMA.

He was also pushing me more towards the Kung Fu rather than Tai Chi. I really wasn't sure Kung Fu was what I wanted, but looking back I think he may have had the right idea (assuming I was going to study there, which I didn't).

The other turn off was that he wanted me to buy a uniform right away. I don't remember whether there was a "trial period" option, or if he also wanted me to sign a contract before ever seeing or taking a class. I'm a big fan of 1-month trial periods before committing.

7. JSun

JSun Valued Member

No spectators are most definitely not typical. My friend teaches tai chi chuan/kung fu at the Jeff Bolt school and I've attended two free classes just meeting people and checking out the training regimen.

I wasn't particularly impressed with wushu at the school in clear lake. He had some kids promoting to black sash that were spectacularly athletic, but the whole of the adult class didn't inspire me.