Improving speed in Judo

Discussion in 'Judo' started by AgentS, Jun 8, 2004.

1. AgentS

AgentS New Member

I've realized lately ( also b/c of my ankle injury) that my reaction to initiate the attack is lacking behind. How can I get "in" to the opponent quicker to throw. TIA :)

2. The Walker

The Walker Unregistered User

All in the hips

Practice hip movements- shift your hips to your left, turn your body; switch your hips to the right. If you need speed, try doing ladders or sprints.

If you're talking about in a fight 'getting in' then use my first idea- thrust your hips into your opponent before you throw. If they counter it, maybe your telegraphing it too much. Try some feint attacks like fake grabs, arm and wrist manipulations, then go in for a throw. I guess after recovering from an injury like you are, it just takes time. Don't re-injure yourself by trying this stuff all at once...be patient with it!

Hope I could help,
    Zach

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  3. Jim

Jim New Member

Just continue to train technique as often as possible. Don't worry about speed, it'll come with time.

4. Fenix Eye

Fenix Eye New Member

A great way to improve leg speed that I use is as follows. If you run regularly (which you should) change the movement of your feet every so often. Switch from running forward to suddenly running sideways or backward. Push off from one leg to the other like you're dodging something. After a while, it should increase your leg-speed.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004