Improving my jab (not the same)

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Thrash, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Thrash

Thrash New Member

Hi guys, I just started boxing and I was wondering if there was anyway to get rid of the awkwardness of jabbing. I mean when I would "fight" before I started boxing I would just punch, but not im throwing my left at a curve. Another thing, how do you more experianced guys deal with anxiety before a fight? I recently had to box this guy from my school and I think the reason I lost is because I was so damn nervous, Thanks for your time.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The jab is just practice, practice and a bit more practice. Then when you are getting better...practice. Your coach will give you some pointers.

As for "nerves"...welcome to the world of adrenaline my friend! I'll let you into a secret - everyone feels exactly the same way before a fight. Howevr, the more experienced you are, the better you can deal with it. All it is is your body preparing you for "fight or flight". In the wild you would have teh choice, but in the ring you do not. For this reason your body is trying to reconcile all the adrenalin to a single purpose which if you are unused to it (and as a beginner I would say you are) will cause you to freeze and panic.

It does get better, but it never goes away!

3. Thrash

Thrash New Member

Yeah, I had to learn about flight or fight for my debate class on learning how to give speaches, now I can talk in front of hundreds of people and not mess up once but I cant go 1 on 1 with my best friend without almost having a heart attack :D