Impaired vision

Discussion in 'MMA' started by tengu, Jan 6, 2005.

1. tengu

tengu Capoeirista "Paparazzi"

I need some advice on adapting what I'm learning. I'm currently studying keysi fighting method, submisson grappling and vale tudo. My problem is the fact when my glasses come off for sparring my vision is not so good! I can only pick up on movement, not what techniques been thrown at me, and hooks (punches and kicks) become invisible to me the wider they go, at the moment I am struggling to be effective inside boxing range due to being hit, I can deal with straight shots okay, but anything with a curve in it!
    My vision's a bit blurry due to the musculature in my left eye being weak, which causes a blurring of vision, I can compensate by closing that eye but then goes depth perception, and I'm then hampered by a "blind side."
    So I tend to be dragging everyone to the ground and striking from holds all of the time! This may be okay to some,but I don't like having a major floor in my game!
    Any ideas?

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

could you get contacts?

My brother had a similar prob to what you describe, he got contacts for a while, but he freaked out at puttin them in and out all the time, and you can only wear them for 6 hrs a day i think. Eventually he got laser surgery. Says its the best thing ever happened him. brought him up to almost 20/20 vision. He needed glasses to read anything, to drive, to watch TV....the whole lot, now he doesnt need them at all for anything. He was told he would need reading glasses when hes about 50......but who doesnt??

3. tengu

I'm a bit nervous about getting them smashed out of my eyes, or gettin a layer of eyeball shaved off......

4. Sgt_Major

contacts wont smash, at most it'll come out, and you'll have to look for it.....not ideal in a fight/spar......but for the 99 times out of 100 it stays in you'll be in a far better position than you already are.

I apreciate the nervousness, its not something to take lightly, or rush into, but you may wish to consider it in the long term. I can give you the name/address of the clinic my Bro used...it in Manchester I think as the Northern Irish ones are Crap he said.....

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I have myopia (short sighted) everything gets real blurry past my arm length.

I wear contacts and I dont find any problems when I spar, sometimes they come out but stick with it and carry on hitting. I know you problem is different, but just thought I'll tell you that contacts arent as bad.

They wont shear off anything unless they are already split and you put them in your eye broken.

Contacts are made of really soft plastic and you can barely feel them on your finger let alone your eye.

6. Sgt_Major

Being that your eye is more sensitive than your finger thats a good thing!!

I think the sheering he meant was laser surgery.

But there you go man....contact wearing person doing sparring that finds no prob with them. Good things, they be

7. Mushroom

(As told to me by a friend's relative who got Laser eye sugery)

It aint that bad, you kinda get freaked out by the smell of your own flesh burning though.
    :eek:

Everytime I think of laser surgery I think of what that guy said to me...working in a restaurant dont help much either.

8. Sgt_Major

Thats what my brother said too. However I chose to omit that part as it may put him off!!

lol. He swore you feel nothing, just smell.

9. Mushroom

Well that makes it soooo much better...."I cant feel myself burning...but I can sure smell something"

Did he mention what it smelt like?
    Pork maybe?

Does that also mean that the entire staff who work there walk/drive home smelling of burnt human eyeball flesh?

10. tengu

Thanks guys! I think I'll try the contacts! The smell of burning flesh doesn't appeal to me, though I'd appreciate the clinic number, I'll have to do it eventually.......

11. Sgt_Major

I'll PM you the number etc.......

LMAO mushroom........you mean like when you work in a chiippy, you go home smelling of chips?

Wouldnt fancy going home smelling of burnt eyball........will have to ask him what his impression of the smell was....pork? beef? etc.....