Imbalances

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Blevunly, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

If you do Bench Press do you need to do Pull ups,Bent Rows, etc. so you wont create an imbalance? I ask because I think of Squat and how it requires no other lowerbody work besides itself and Bench is often refered to as the upper body Squat.

2. If you're benching, row!!!

You wouldnt want a big chest with a little back, would you? That would be silly :p

3. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Where'd ya hear that? The dip is considered the "upper body squat", not the bench press. But yes, if ya wanna grow, ya gotta row (or pull, or something). The squat needs no real balancing movement because it does both hip extension (hams, glutes, blah blah blah) and knee extension (quads). Depending how you squat, it can be a more "quad dominated movement" (narrower stance squats with heels elevated or something) or a more "posterior chain dominated movement" (box squats or a much wider stance for example). Although it's good to "balance" squats with deadlifts IMO. Anyone correct me if I missed something.:)

4. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I think you've covered it pretty well mate. :D

Dips rock! :cool:

5. Unisonus

Unisonus Bloody Rare, Please

Well, I think if you squat (training the quads), you should also do some kind of hamstring exercise (e.g. the deadlift). Also, I'd think that the upper-body squat would be the overhead press. ;)

6. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

If you want to get SUPER technical, the handstand pushup is probably more related to the squat if you think about it (both are closed chain, and one just inverts the body):p. Now loading would have to be via weight vests though, unless you can balance a barbell on your feet while doing handstand pushups.. :eek: :p :p :p

7. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

You have to balance everything out.

For some, its the pullover that's the upper body squat

8. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I have to agree with the suggestions of balancing everything out. Alwyn Cosgrove is a massive believer in having almost exactly the same volume on opposing movements to keep strength imbalances minimal and injuries less likely. I agree with this thought. I also agree that the squat should be balanced out with some other movements like deadlift variations, some kind of knee flexion movement like glute-hams or leg curls and unilateral work like high box step-ups or bulgarian squats. No one exercise is the answer.