IMA in Cambridge

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by DoEasy, Aug 29, 2012.

1. DoEasy

DoEasy New Member

I'm looking to start to learn an internal martial art, not picky which, but rather looking for a good teacher.
    Can anybody recommend anyone up in Cambridge?

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I've seen the odd person practising Tai Chi in a park near me but don't know anything about local classes or teachers... The uni is bound to have a group who practise tho so if you are around a while check out the CUSU site or go to the Societies Fair first week of October at KK (usually)

3. DoEasy

DoEasy New Member

I should have perhaps mentioned that I have no affiliation to the university, so can't do that.

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Chances are that whoever teaches at the uni will teach elsewhere too.

It's also quite common for university martial arts clubs to have some external members too.

Worth a try!

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  7. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Rob Poyton teaches in that area.He is tai chi guy who changed to Systema.I did a bit of training with him several years ago and would rate him as one of the best teachers I have trained with.

8. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Can I ask your definition of internal martial arts?

There is probably alot of choices in somewhere like cambridge. What exactly are you seeking?

To the wider group: do all arts become internal at the higher levels?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

1)Define what you feel "internal" means.

2)Sit back and see all the different opinions :argue: of what "internal" :meditate: means.

3)Then take two aspirin and call me in the morning.;)

Seriously tho', the question is near impossible to answer as there is no set agreement on what the term means.

10. RobB

RobB New Member

Alex K is here in Cambridge and teaching on a Saturday morning at the moment. Rob Poynton is based in Bedford - there was a once a month class in Cambridge but I don't know if that is still running.

Cheers

Rob

11. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I thought there was a once a month class in Systema, first Wednesday of the month at Arbury Community Centre. Though with anything on the interweb it could be wildly out of date

12. RobB

RobB New Member

Indeed. http://www.cuttingedgeshop.com/training.htm suggests you are right though. Also has Rob Poyntons contact details for anyone who is interested.

Cheers

Rob (not that Rob)

13. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Yepm thanks Rob, the next session is on Weds 5th Dec, details are at the link above

I think someone already mentioned Alex Kozma who's based in Cambridge

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

We've gone from trying to help someone find an internal martial art, to systema. :dunno:

I'm not sure that is what the OP was looking for, so with that in mind please reember the TOS when it comes to advertising your own school.

I think in this instance the link can stay.

15. RobP

RobP Valued Member

I guess whether Systema is "internal" or not is open to debate, it is certainly a "soft" style with emphasis on posture and breathing and a significant amount of health work. After studying Chinese internal arts for 20 odd years I found many similarities - as well as some big differences too :)

The OP also said he wasn't picky about style but was looking for a good class. Of course I'll recommend my own , lol, though I'm not the only one to do so, but it is why I also mentioned Alex. There's not a lot else in Cambridge in my experience

16. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

A lot depends on why the original poster wanted to learn internal arts.I practice Taiji,Xingyi and Bagua and if someone phones me up and says their main interest is self defence I refer them to the local Systema guys.Systema will allow you to gain very similar skills to those gained from practicing internal arts in a fraction of the time.The main difference I see in these arts is that Systema uses natural everyday movement as its base whereas the internal arts use very sophiscated trained movement that takes a long while to learn.I find the internal arts fascinating but I am sure there are far easier ways of learning how to survive a violent confrontation.

17. RobB

RobB New Member

Apologies if I've violated TOS. I'm not associated with RobPs school so didn't think it would be an issue.

With respect to the IA/Systema question it seems to be very much in the eye of the beholder. A fair few folk over at rumsoakedfist.org who have a lot of IMA experience seem to think that Systema is of interest. For various reasons I train with Alex Kozma but happily recommend RobP in the same discussion if people are looking for training locally. There is also a small silat group I've come across but they're clazy!:wow:

Cheers

Rob