I'm wondering

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by vampyregirl, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

hand in your license to be Scottish please :p

2. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

I'm a half breed, er, quad breed, uhm, mongrel...er, whitdyecryit...Anyroad I get special dispensation! Also means I don't have to go True Scots for winter weddings, it's practically a medical condition!

Honestly though it's the players annoy me, jumped up little bawbags.

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

haha when it comes to football or soccer id expect even an Englishman to know better, know excuses for that one :p

although this I agree with, the dictionary definition of idiot should have a picture of carlos tevez next to it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Most celebrities are silly with money in general. As far as boxers, there's always good examples too such as De La Hoya. Not only did he make huge paychecks from his fights (he scored well over 600 million in just 18 pay per view fights) but he also owns his own boxing promotion, the publishing rights to several magazines, is a co-owner of a soccer team, has his own clothing line, owns an urban redevelopment company to better Hispanic neighborhoods, and started a scholarship fund for underprivileged youths. I'd say he's pretty business savvy. They don't call him the Golden Boy for nothing.

5. Oddsbodskins

I'm also part Irish and part German that I know of, mostly I get the thirst for the drink, the occasional urge to fight and intermittent genocidal tendencies.

Plus I have compatibility problems between the chip on my shoulder and the English Ancestral Resentment of the Nouveau Riche (subclass-middle). It makes me despise the players for being rich while looking down on them for not having been rich for long enough, it's a horrible, confusing affliction, and I had to stop watching the game for the sake of my sanity!

I wonder if there's any more countries I can insult in this post...

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Do you actually think any of these questions or assertions through or do they just get typed as they occur to you?

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It's a bit like diarrhea. You're not sure how it's going to come out, but all you know is it frequently does and it's never pleasant.

8. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Do you have an answer as to why so many go broke after making millions? Are you trying to deny it happens?

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Are you trying to say it's just boxers who do so?

10. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Never said that. I don't understand how anyone just ****es away millions of dollars.

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Unless you end up getting yourself millions of dollars too, you'll probably never understand either. It doesn't make sense to us, but I'm sure it wasn't their intention to blow it all. Some of them just get ripped off or used by others who just mooch off of them until the well goes dry, then move on to the next one. Others give so much without any thoughts to the future, and end up being so generous that they put themselves in the poorhouse. It's not always just being plain silly spending money.

12. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hi Vampyregirl,

sorry, my initial ersponse was a more general one ratehr than directed at you per se. As for the money thing, well, if you spend epic amounts of your life training very hard the chances are that you probably aren't necessarily very accountancy savvy. On top of this you have a bunch of out and out crooks (promoters) who are past masters at parting folks from their cash.

And hell, if they just want to blow it all in a giant explosion of fun, then good for them. There have been times in my life where I would have happily done exactly that, who are any of us to judge?

It isn't just boxers either. Practically any group of people that get rich very quickly have a percentage of them that just blow the lot at high speed. You should check out what happens to a lot of the folks that win the lottery.

paul

13. Hannibal

MC Hammer did not box, nor did Margot Kidder, Courtney Love, Gary Busey and any number of other stars who went bankrupt

Your question makes an exceptionally sloppy link to boxing which collapses under even the tiniest level of scrutiny - and is now firmly entrenched in the "human nature" side of the equation and has no connection AT ALL with boxing

Anything else?

14. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

You say it has no connection with boxing and i say you're wrong. It does. It seems to happen with a disproportionate number of fighters.

15. Hannibal

No it doesn't - try again

Look at TV, film and music celebrities - they FAR outweigh any other grouping in the "boom to bust" category. Have SOME boxers? yeah. Is it an unusually high number? No

You are completely wrong on this one

16. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

YES,,,, YOU HAVE!!! LOOK AT YOUR POST ABOVE Kuma's^^^^

Many celebs go bust, and it just not boxers.

I think the OP is on a "stereotype witch hunt"

17. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Yes it is an unusually high number. If you're not aware of that you must be very naive. Try again.

18. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Alexis Arguello thought fighters should form a union, have a pension fund like ball players do. Good idea but it hasn't come to being yet.

19. Oddsbodskins

If you're sure it's unusually high, do you have the figures to back it up?

20. Hannibal

Of course she doesn't - although i shouldn't complain too much because it is incredible that this is a topic even remotely connected to martial arts

Ok Vamp, impress us -

how many boxers are there that have been active in the past 20 years?
    How many of them have gone broke?
    What is that as a percentage total of the boxers active?

When you are ready......