I'm on the fence....

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by CALI Academy, Feb 3, 2021.

1. jmf552

jmf552 Member

Thanks. To paraphrase Yogi Berra, "90% of it has been mental. The other half has been physical." I guess what I mean is the tough part has been keeping myself motivated. I have learned to deal with the physical challenges better than the mental ones. That has surprised me.

Jaydub likes this.
  2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Hello,

I am a long time Hapkido student and a Combat Hapkido instructor. My advice would be to go in and try out a few practice sessions to see if you like it and if the school will work with you on any issues you may have.

I've had quite a few older students train in Combat Hapkido with us... some into their mid 70s. A lot really depends on what you are looking for. The biggest gains that we see with older students is in the falling practice (sometimes modified depending on physical need), basic flexibility, strength, and stretching. Yes, we work a lot of kicks, strikes, locks and self defense material but by that age it's not necessarily the main goal. A lot of our senior students also love working with the cane.

Good luck to you.

EDIT - I originally misread your age. I am in my 50s and love Hapkido