I'm old and falling apart... need advice :P

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by asphalt666, Sep 29, 2011.

1. asphalt666

asphalt666 Valued Member

Hey there,

I'm asking for advice here for two different issue i'm actually dealing with.

First: I'm a taekwondoist and this involves a lot of kicking obviously... don't know why but last year a weird sit up move while doing stretching had a weird sensation in my right hip... it now kinda feels like my leg bone's coming out of it's socket after a few "hammer kick" (we use the korean term but truly i can't spell it (apcha chagi?)... so to everyone to understand,,,) and becomes sore quite quickly now when training... My GF is a nurse and she tells me that to avoid further damage and bone coming outta my hip i should strenghten the muscles around it... but she don't know of any exercise for such results... Do any of you had that problem and fixed it? any training suggestion to strenghten the muscles around the hip??? any old oriental medicine? ;)

second: i used to be a truck driver here in canada and about two years ago i was on my flatbed trailer thightening a chain and i fell from the trailer, about 5 feet high but i fell on my ankle and it twisted. took 2 weeks before i got back to work but almost 6 months before i could walk and work without pain in my ankle... Now when getting in fighting stance (lightly jumping on both feet at same time, guard up, etc...) i can barely keep my fighting stance more than 40 seconds before my right ankle and the bottom of my leg gets really sore even getting me to quit fighting stance... i'm one of the higher belts in the adults (13 years old and up) and to see me quitting fighting stance is a very bad example for the lower ranks but it gets so sore that i can't even jump on it after a while... anyone has any idea? suggestion?

i hope my explanation were clear enough, i'm french canadian so english is my second language, if something's not clear just ask me ;)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Do you train with weights at all?

3. asphalt666

asphalt666 Valued Member

you mean weight other than the excess weight i carry permanently? (since the question might come, i'm 215 pounds, 5 foot 8, considered obese by canadian health system even tho i do have a good muscular mass lol)

seriously in class we do not use weight no, and training at home is pretty rare unfortunately, i'm already having class three times a week, my son has taekwondo on the fourth one...and he has hockey 2 out of three of the remaining days...the last one i kinda need to leave that day off for my GF lol.

What kind of weight training would you be suggesting for my problems and how would they help? (i'm just asking, never used any weight other than those on my bench for pecs and biceps...)

4. Osu,

Go see your doctor.
    - As much as your GF might be correct, I find it hard to believe that someone with a long TKD history does not have the proper musculature around the hip... could be, but it is likely something else.
    - There may be a connection between the ankle sprain and the hip problem.
    - As of today, there are no real solutions for aging... people age, "fall apart", then die - make your peace with it! :D

Vas voir le médecin!

Osu!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  5. Dao

Dao Valued Member

Sounds very much like a hip flexor injury.

Dao

6. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

You certainly want to see a doc to see what is going on. However, strengthening with resistance exercise is very important to injury prevention, especially us older athletes.

7. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

An easy way to strengthen nearly any thing for exercise specific needs is to perform the action in question as slooooowly as possible. This keeps the muscles under load for a longer period of time thereby increasing muscular development. So in your case practice your hammer kicks (which I think we call Axe kicks in my school. Ap chagi is the term for front kick) slowly, using muscles to lift your leg and lower it slowly. It'll be hard and feel much different than what you're used to. A few kicks and you'll feel that.

Also, if it is a hip flexor issue, you can strengthen them further by taking a seated position, say on firm chair like a dinning room chair, nothing that swivels or reclines. Place the palms of both hands on the knee for the leg in question. Using your hands to apply pressure, raise your leg from the floor fighting against the pressure you're applying with your hands. The trick is to apply enough pressure to make it difficult but not so much that you either cant raise your leg or injure yourself further.

I would recommend some NSAIDs prior to class for a while and icing after class - say two or three weeks and see if that helps. Training as much as you are you may be in a situation where its simply not getting time to heal properly before you have to train again. NSAIDs and ice will help a bit if thats the case.

As for your ankle, can you describe the pain? Is it localized to the ankle or does it radiate outward. Did you see a doctor after the injury or simply tough it out? I've known more than one person who actually broke a bone but thought it was just a sprain and after the pain subsided went right back to work/training. It can be the cause for one of those plaguing injuries you hear about. I hope thats not the case.

A doctor might be a good idea but given how long ago it was there may not be much they can do. The afore mentioned NSAIDs should help that issue as well.

One question though: have you tried wrapping it during class? Or applying one of those ACE elastic bandages? See if that helps any as well.

Good luck man.

8. asphalt666

asphalt666 Valued Member

thanks folks, i'll try having an appointment to my chiro in the next few weeks (it's not a doc but, doctors are pretty hard to get a hold on around here and get some good followup... i'll see what the chiro says)

you're right bigmikey, ap chagi is the front kick, i was referring to one of the old sheets they gave us at my school where they refer to that hammer/axe kick as "apcha chagi" even tho in class we say "chagi chagi" for this kick... don't know why

concerning my ankle now, pain is very hard to describe, it only shows during that fighting stance, when i stop, so does the pain. pain never go to my knee, i'd say it starts around the ankle and go up to half the lower leg... i don't know if thats related to the ankle injury or not, might just be muscular, i don't really know. i try doing some fighting stance at home (in case that was muscular) but it just get worst... it's not really in the ankle tho, feels like being just above the ankle and up...

i tried wrapping it a few times, it was better but not fixed..

for the other suggestions guys i'll try this all, gotta go to work now ;) thanks

9. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Asphalt, get yourself a copy of this book and have a good read. I think you should be able to find solutions to most of your problems here:

http://www.triggerpointbook.com/

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

You may have scar tissue, muscle and tendon weakness in your ankle which could be causing the pain in certain positions. I would suggest seeing a physio about it. You might need some mobilisation work and some strengthening exercises to help sort these problems out.

I severely sprained my ankle a few years ago and couldn't walk on it properly for a good few months. I started physio a couple of days after the injury and continued for around 7 or 8 months. My ankle never returned to full flexibility and still really hurts if I go over on it. I strap it up for martial arts training. Since the accident I've had more physio and an MRI on it. The MRI picked up some tendon thickening and a 'shadow' on the ankle bone. My consultant said I could have exploratory surgery to see if there was anything they could do if I wanted, but I opted not to have the surgery.

One thing I did find after the initial injury was that I could feel the scar tissue limited movement in certain directions. My physio said that it might loosen with time and exercise and one day in BJJ training I caught the ankle awkwardly on the mat and felt the tissue pull apart, it hurt like heck, but I had a greater range of movement after that.

I was told at the time that sometimes ankle injuries never get 100% better. I still have some tightness in my Achilles tendon and over the front of the foot.

11. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Isn't this the highly touted system they want in place down here?

12. asphalt666

asphalt666 Valued Member

you mean the nearly communist kinda health system where the state pays for almost everything? from what i heard it's that kind of system Obama talked to install down south in the state yes.

This system is far from being perfect (not totally bad either) but there is a major lack of doctors in my province so the one in place are overloaded with work and if you want one that'll make a good followup on you you need to get a "family doctor" which will be your doctor that you always go to and that makes the follow up on your issues. To get one of those family doctors you need to get on a list where you might wait a few years before getting one that will be assigned to you... else you go to the hospital emergency and you wait 8 hours or more to see one that will give you a single shot of pain killer to get you out... you can also go to an appointment-free clinic but these are also overloaded and most won't do followup either...

did i convince you that Obama's plan are good? :p

13. belltoller

Lets just say you've done a great job confirming what I've heard ;)

14. Bigmikey

Is it toward the back of of the ankle at all? It could be an achilles issue - of which I'm all too familiar!

15. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Okay, that's it - I can't help myself any longer.

Try duct tape.

I'll get my coat...

16. asphalt666

asphalt666 Valued Member

nope, it's more toward the outside/front of the leg...

17. belltoller

Nah...tried it. You know you've got issues when the docs send you to a tig-weld garage.

18. Bigmikey

Well, thats a good thing actually. Means your achilles is ok. WHEW!

19. asphalt666

asphalt666 Valued Member

i totally forgot to follow up on this thread, please accept my apologies.

My hip problem is getting much better now, i sometime have the same feeling of the leg bone coming out of the hip but it is much less often and usually doesn't lock up or anything, i just get the feeling and then stop the movement to "realign the hip"... i've been squatting a lot lately during my trainings and i also bought an heavy bag which i can train on, allowing me to train more often and therefore it seems like the muscle recovery around the hip is getting better, i'm starting to think it was really only a muscle strenght problem after all.

concerning the ankle now and the pain around it. the ankle is still pretty sensitive during certain stretching moves so i try to avoid these training in class and direct to an equivalent training with the same result, i guess putting less pressure on the ankle helps the healing process. during training on my heavy bag at home i miscalculated my distance for one of my kick (the dog being in my training room probably got me out of concentration...) and ended up hitting the bag with the ankle... i felt like my ankle twisted like 2 years ago but a week later or so pain went off and i have not felt any pain to this ankle since then...maybe just coincidence.

pain to my lower leg did not come back recently, i train a lot my walking on the ball of my feet ( as read often on this forum) and it might have just strenghtened enough to keep that pain from coming back.

anyway, thanks for all the suggestions folks :hat:

20. belltoller

Glad to hear that your issues seem to be resolving. Feeeling like one's leg is coming out of the socket canna be any fun.