I'm now a 5th Kyu (green belt)

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Zinowor, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I just came back from my grading and I passed for my green belt (5th Kyu). :D

[​IMG]

I had to go without sleep because of my nightshift at McDonalds and the grading started this morning. :bang: Needless to say I was bummed out that I couldn't get some proper rest before the grading, but a bit of willpower pulled me through it. I couldn't find someone to cover for my shift because they kept rescheduling the grading, so I was left with this challenge and I'm happy with myself for not letting it stop me.

And so I am now one step closer to my goal, which is the blackbelt.

The grading was divided in 5 parts.

1. Kihon tsuki & geri
    2. Renraku waza
    3. Sanbon kumite
    4. Kata
    5. Jiyu kumite

I had to get an okay in each part from 1-4, otherwise I would have to redo the part I failed in a re-examination. The 5 examiners had nothing to say about my performance in any of the parts, so I accepted it as having done a good job. The lack of sleep caused me some trouble in the first and second parts, because they just call out the Japanese name of the techniques without any explanation. Translating that into movements was pretty difficult, but somehow I pulled it off without having to look to the guys beside me. In fact, they were watching me instead. :p

I planned from the start that I would start to compete in Jiyu Kumite competitions when I got to green belt, but I'm still debating if I want to participate in a Kyokushin tourney or a Wado tourney. I wish to compete in kumite, because I want to learn what I am capable of and to become worthy of the belts I've earned and will earn in the future. I hate the idea of earning my blackbelt without having the fighting skills to back it up.

Anyway, for now I am simply happy that I am progressing forward. :love:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Congratulations!

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Congratulations and nice photograph.

4. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Congratulations Mr. Zinowor. :)

5. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Very well done.

Green belt was (and still is) a significant milestone in our group as it meant you were an intermediate grade and no longer a novice
    Keep it up.

6. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Thank you. I like that way of thinking. :D

7. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Congratulations! Also, nice job of pushing through and performing up to par with no sleep! I have been there before and I believe that sort of thing is really good for you(on occasion).

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Congrats!

Mitch

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Congratulations! Nice work!

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Congrats!!!!!

11. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Osu!

Congratulations on your grading, hard work starts now!

Dan93

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Congratulations! :)

13. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

Congratulations!

14. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Congratulations!!!

Now back to train harder for the next. And do that kumite, you are young, you can.

15. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Congrats. I remember when I got to green belt, one of the black belts said to me, "Now we get to hit you."

16. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Well done on your grading, espescially under duress through lack of sleep!
    Enjoy the 'new' material for your next grade!

17. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Congratulations!

18. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

good job bud :)

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Isn't there a Japanese term for exhausting yourself as a sort of rite of passage? Whatever that's called, I think you inadvertently did it. :)

Well done, Zinowor.

20. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Thanks. I feel more of a man because of it, in fact my arms got a little hairier since the grading and my beard is coming along nicely as well.
    I might start doing the gradings this way all the way up to black belt, so I can be proud and hairy like the rest of my family. :D