I'm new here...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mark 42, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

My son has ADHD (very mild)... he is the more motivated TKD student & is learning pretty fast.
    My daughter is ont as motivated, but still is doing her best. She has AS, so learns different but also similar to my son in various ways. Academics come easy for her while my son has to really work at it for the same gains.

I suspect it does help - the brain behaves like a muscle & gets stronger when you use it.
    I was old for a college student, and had become a bit dull, then got pretty
    sharp when I was studying, and now I'm dull again (I trained in rocket science
    and I work in babysitting / data entry). It's kind of sad really - I learned
    calculus so I could put the same data into 7 or 8 databases which all have
    the same info (parts lists) and check work of other people even though it'd
    be easier to do their work myself. Sometimes I get to do the work myself,
    put not so much anymore. I miss Alabama.

But I've had much harder jobs. :cool:

2. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

Well, I signed up for the two week TKD trial, did my first lesson on Monday,
    learned how to tie my belt from this video, and tonight is my second lesson.

I really enjoyed the class! I did feel like maybe the instructor went a bit
    light on the class on my account... I told him "Please don't go light on the
    class for my sake - I can handle some exercise. If I pass out, roll me to the
    edge of the mat, check for pulse, and keep on going... Sherri can drag me
    to the car after class.

I couldn't talk my wife into joining us. The instructor is allowing me to train with
    the 11 to 14 year olds because it works better with our schedule, but I will probably
    bite the bullet and go to the 15 to adult class in spite of the schedule challenges.
    One problem is I might need to eat dinner before class... which could be bad.[​IMG]

BTW, I almost had my first injury about a week before my first lesson...
    I was hanging up my son's heavy bag, wanted to see if I had enough sand
    in it for ballast, so I kicked the bag. My son pointed out I was kicking it wrong...
    I was using the side of my foot and needed to rotate my hip to do a proper
    "loud house" kick. So I stepped back a little and took a good hard kick at it...
    but I hit the edge of the open bedroom door about halfway through the kick.:bang:
    I hit with the instep of my foot, and was lucky I didn't damage anything!
    The new house rule: close the door and clear the area around the bag first.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Aye...I 'm certain that I don't need to tell you that if you're working in a place that has seven or eight databases each containing the same data as all the rest, there is something quite wrong in your IT dept. LOL. There is definately something wrong somewhere.

You must work in one of those relics - info, telecom, data support arms that was severed by its parent company during a hostile merger of years ago. Entire depts. would get swallowed whole - personnel, dept management, physical plant and then regergetated and sold off during the next round of corporate take overs - which were in epidemic proportions years ago.

Each time the IT dept changed hands, it would have to go through a process of "Integration and Assimilation" to molde it in the image of its buyer who, of course, had their own software standards, supporting data structures, server requirements, etc.

It might've worked but so much of the info and telecom infrastructure of those old bemoths were custom jobs - back in the day, they didn't have a lot of the off-the -shelfs that they have today and so much of it was proprietary - which meant each time the IT dept changed hands, it would end up with another patchwork of servers, operating systems, programming languages and database management systems held together by makeshift, proprietary patches and chewing gum - and only a handful at best really knew how it all fit together.

I could see where some of 'em would end up with multiple DBMS all containing the same info in that case.

Huntsville, Ala., I assume :)

4. belltoller

Ouch! While back before I started Muay Thai and knew even less than I do now, one of my kids who was in TKD at the time was practising kicks on the heavy bag we have in the basement. Well, kids feet have those layers of flesh on their instep that disappears sometime during adulthood leaving the blood vessels and those many delicate bones exposed right on the surface...and so he was letting the bag have it with quite hard and rapid kicks using his instep.

"Now, you give it a try, Dad..." And so I did. I let out a howl that could curdle the blood of the dead.

Fortunately, wiser folk here convinced me of the futility of trying to condition one's instep.

5. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

You mean, it's hopeless? I gues board breaking will have to rely on technique & strength rather
    than toughening? What about toughening hands?

My ankle is what's plaguing me at the moment... but I think strengthening will fix the problem -
    but waiting for it to recover is a bit frustrating.

I did something wrong on a kick on Monday, I felt it when it happened, but it's not bad at all -
    it just sort of twinged a bit like when you misstep on uneven ground. But then on Wednesday,
    it started aching more as the lesson progressed. I'm chomping at the bit to go and kick my son's
    heavy bag so I can work on technique between lessons, but instead I'm just trying to rest the
    ankle and keep it wrapped (compression) so that I won't delay my progress - I'm hoping it will
    be close enough to 100% by the next lesson so that kicking at the TKD class won't set me back
    in recovery.

I hope my enthusiasm will continue as time goes on.
    I have started learning more musical instruments than I can count. I do good for a few months,
    then eventually lose momentum for one reason or another.

I have stuck with some things (College & enough training to complete a marathon), but not many.

My problem is that everything looks interesting and fun, but I can't do them all!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  6. belltoller

The bane of life after 35. I had no interest in martial arts, fitness during my younger years and now that I have the desire and the maturity to fully appreciate them, I no longer have that one important ingrediant - time.

Kids - wife spends significant time in Europe, so I have to be their mother as well as father - do the laundry and cooking as well as solder the plumbing and repair the drywall; aging mum with cancer and I'm the only child left to help ( which is okay, actually ); house needs fulltime maid as well as handyman... only so much sleep that one can cut back on before your temper flares and your head clouds. And now there're wanting to do surgery to remove some nasty infections in the ear...

Thing is, I've never been so keen to want to get in the ring as now...go figure.

7. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

Schedule and physical aging both make things harder.
    The body doesn't recover from abuse like it used to.
    It used to be, if I beat my body with physical exertion, it would come back stronger,
    but now it is possible to just beat it into the ground.

8. belltoller

:topic:

9. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

It's a spam/scam attempt.
    I looked at other posts by "denim" - there will eventually be a link to some sort
    of scam or gaming site (or would be, if not for the ban - but they may have to
    block the i.p. address)

BTW, I had a good workout/lesson last night!

I got there early, gave the instructor a 2 x 12 x 12 to scare my son with by
    telling him he has to break it for yellow belt :evil:

Then I changed into my dobok and stretched for 15 minutes before class.
    I tried to do stretches we don't do in the class, and also did extra stretching
    on my ankles (we do some ankle stretches, but I wanted to do more).

My ankle was barely noticeable during class, and I was able to workout at
    full intensity (which was not bad for being so out of shape, IMHO).

Today my ankle doesn't feel any worse, which I consider progress considering
    how hard I worked it last night!

My technique felt good too, which was a relief (confirmed that the ankle
    problem was throwing me off). I'm not saying I have good technique... just
    that I did good for my level of newbieness and not great physical/aerobic condition.

Tomorrow is my last class of the two week trial - then I have to decide
    whether to continue, or to take a break until after the Christmas holiday
    (Jan. 2nd - about 2 weeks rest). I'll see how my ankle feels after class tomorrow.

10. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

Well, I finished the two week trial on Thursday.
    My ankle started hurting about half way through the class.
    I think I started using my shin against the pad to preserve my foot.
    We had to go to the later class, which is for 14 to adult instead of 11 to 14.
    The instructor worked us really hard. I had hoped to stretch before class.
    But, I had brought a screwdriver to adjust the front door closer of the Dojang
    (long story), and ended up fiddling with that first. Then I stretched a little,
    but the door was still hanging up, so I went back to adjust it again.
    I don't think he did as much stretching at the beginning of class.

My ankle only hurt when I kicked though, not when I was moving around
    on my feet (impact on my foot sends stress into the ankle muscles).

By the end of the lesson it was feeling better. When we first got home
    it felt fine, then as I cooled down, it started to hurt.

The next day, my plantar fasciitis was acting up (it took a few years
    to stop hurting after doing Seattle marathon - 'nother long story)

This morning it was my ankle that hurt, and the plantar fascia didn't
    hurt much. But because I'm walking different than usual, my knee
    is starting to hurt.

So... I want to continue learning TKD, I REALLY enjoy the classes,
    but I'm going to go with my head instead of my heart this time and
    take a break until after new year's to continue my training.

11. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

On the positive side, both of my kids passed their yellow belt test today.
    My son is chomping at the bit to start sparring. My daughter - not as much.

The instructor is a good judge of how people learn, and I suspect he will have
    my daughter spar with an instructor at first so she doesn't hurt anyone or
    get hurt too bad & overly discouraged.

She did complain that her hand hurt after breaking the board. Somehow
    her knuckles hit the board in the fraction of a second after it broke
    (they were doing a hammer fist blow). I think she needs to get a little
    tougher, but then again, my ankle hurts ;)

If I got any good pictures at their test I'll post them eventually.

And, I did bring more tools and got the door closing nice and smooth.
    I had never worked on a concealed opener on a commercial door, and
    had to find instructions online to figure it out completely do I could
    fine tune the closer and the hinge pivots. I was not going to be happy
    with myself or the door until it was working right (I used to do property
    services many years ago). I'm glad the instructor let me mess wit it...
    I was tired of it sticking part way open in this cold weather.

12. belltoller

Are you going to stick with this Dojang after your trial? Sounds like you're all comfortable there. You'll never find the "perfect" place and you could certainly do a lot worse than where you are at, it sounds.

Thing about feet...you should take the time to go and have your feet properly fitted with shoes by professionals. I always advise everyone on that. Ill fitting shoes can create problems that are not evident but compound injuries when they occur. Its worth the time and cost.

13. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Of course.

People do not age like fine wine to get physically better.

As we age, we have to learn our ever-changing limitations and adapt

14. belltoller

{ SIGH } Wish it were so.

15. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

Yeah, we plan to stick to this dojang for as long as we are living in the area.
    We like the instructor, and the assistant instructors.

It's more sports than self defense oriented, but that's fine for us since
    I just want to get into better condition, and it's P.E. class for the kids.

The instructor is good about recognizing we have a budget - he tends
    to bring cost within our budget rather than finding ways to increase
    our budget (like payment plans).

Example - he said if we buy one set of new sparring gear for our son,
    (his price is not bad either), he will give us a slightly used set for our
    daughter (she won't use it as much or as hard)... and he will throw
    in a chest protector he no longer uses which will fit me!

He isn't charging extra for the sparring class (I don't know if he does,
    but when Drew asked about sparring, he said he'd need to go to the
    Friday sparring class, and said "no extra cost" - maybe he's counting it
    as part of a full curriculum since it's part of the state's home school
    system)

On the shoes... I agree. Normally I wear Asics MC Plus (or the most
    recent version of it) with insoles I buy at a running store. I went to
    a sports physiologist when I was training for Seattle marathon and
    fighting Plantar Fasciitis. I've been too cheap to buy them the last
    couple of years, and had been fine until now. The sore ankle is
    messing up my walking gait and my Plantar Fascia and my knee
    are starting to hurt, so I'm going to go back with what worked before.

I'm taking the rest of this year off from TKD to let my ankle completely heal
    It won't be easy to sit in the chairs and watch, though. :cry:

16. belltoller

Nah...they shouldn't charge extra for the Friday Sparring class anyway. Our TKD has a Friday sparring class, its always been the highlight of the week - till just recent.

Mind you, the oldest one is getting to that age where the girls are starting to get those looooong legs, ya know? LOL! TKD girls seem to develop even longer legs than their non-martial arts peers so, bless his heart, he's had to stick with working the inside - as he's concurrently been in boxing for a little while now, its not been problematic for him to work in.

Only thing is, and I know its going to happen sooner or later; he's bound to let loose with a combo in the heat of the moment and seeing how he drills in boxing, I know it'll have a mean uppercut in there.

I've suddenly jumped up with my heart in my throat a couple of times now, 'cause I saw telegraphs the last couple of times I've been well enough to go watch his TKD sparring. He caught himself, but with the heavy boxing drills and so forth he's getting a couple times a week now, he is bound to forget himself one time and let loose.

His is a really good TKD school, but they are not prepared for the kind of punches he's been drilling in the MMA academy - they don't wear mouth guards most of the time and they have no bob n' weave or slip and duck so anythin' he throws is gonna land solid.

We talked about it and went over the consequences of what might happen if he were to inadvertantly throw a boxing combo during one of his TKD sparring sessions.

The jist of it being - we both came to the same conclusion that it was starting to get dicy doing both boxing and TKD and so he's going to let the TKD go for a least a while and concentrate on western boxing and take either JuiJitsu ( the MMA school he takes boxing at is highly ranked in BJJ ) or wrestling - which he seems to be leaning toward and seems to have a liking for.

Ah...living vicariously is bollocks. I'm out of it for having to have taken off training for so long. Its going to be very tough getting back. I'm less fit now than when I first started.

17. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

An Update

I thought I'd add an update.
    We are still doing TKD - we are up to 2nd or 3rd Kub now.

We did our first tournament last Saturday. Had a good time.
    It was mostly a learning experience. We did do well, but I was more concerned
    about just having a good experience and doing our best.

There was no one in my age/ability division, so I did an exhibition match with
    a black belt from the same age group (46 and over). I won the match by
    one point, which amazed me. He was not the fastest black belt I have sparred -
    usually they have to back it down a bit when I train with them.
    His age and health may have been slowing him down - but I guess that has something
    to do with why I'm not all that good, as well. He was also getting used to WTF rules
    and how the referees score points. I do feel good that I held my own against a larger
    and more experience opponent - but looking at the video, I have a lot more room for improvement.

My son lost his first match, but kept it close against a bigger and more
    experienced opponent. He got a bronze medal because the in first round
    of matches he had a bye, and that counted as a win and tied him for bronze.

He fought well, but if he'd done as well as he is capable, I think he could have won.
    He and his opponent both kept throwing flurries of 3 or 4 kicks. If he had kept going
    1 or 2 kicks more, the 5th or 6th kick might have scored and made the difference.
    He tired early too - his stamina was not as strong as it could have been - he had to
    take a lot of the last month off from training due to an injury. Hopefully he will be healthy,
    stronger, and less nervous next time (November, I think).

I don't know if anyone is following this old thread anymore - when I get some time,
    I'll post video in a new thread (after I upload it to YouTube).

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  18. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie