i'm learning to free sparr

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Blade96, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

because: 1- she enjoys doing shotokan. 2- better to work at one's weak points than to ignore them*

* *conspicuously avoids training in grappling*

2. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

I should add that it is good practice for learning the game of sport fighting.

If you are playing a game, it is good to practice that game, so you get good at that game.

Like anything else it is still a game, and should not be thought of as too much more.

Cheers

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

How do you test your "combat" skill?

4. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

If my head droped off I would stop buying hats

5. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Yep. I love shotokan, wont ignore kicking, I love kicks, I was just looking for a way to improve on them. :hat:

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

because you'd be dead.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Remember this folks? :D

Not everything is about how sparring relates to SD.

Blade asked about sparring, how about we answer, well, about sparring? :D

Mitch

8. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Is that because you prefer more full contact stuff and see light sparring as more of a sport?

Yeah but i dont mind a little off topic stuff. :)

9. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

If you don't know by now, you won't understand my answer. So If you have to ask me, you are not there yet.

If you need constant testing then you don't know what you have, or don't have much to measure or it is not much more than others, so you keep trying to check it.

If you think speed and power is measuring , your ruler is losing its scales.

Cheers

10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Before this goes too far off topic, could this remain a friendly thread with some advice for Blade, who is relatively new to free sparring, on good tactics and training methods to improve her skills?

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Please don't dodge my question. I asked you a simple question, and I expect a simple answer from you. My question is, "How do you test your combat skill if you don't spar/wrestle?" You are the person who has issue with "sparring", not me.

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I have just one simple suggestion. If your opponent

- punches you, you run him down.
    - kicks you, you run him down.
    - does nothing, you still run him down.

Try to "squeeze the space - don't give your opponent the space that he needs" is the key words.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  13. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Its right in front of you, if you can't see it, me telling it is there won't help.

Cheers

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No, it really isn't so you need to expand and explain

thank you please!

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Blade, my advice is work on footwork and movement. They will serve you as a great base for defence. Once you get good at not getting hit you can then start to hit back! That is where it gets REALLY fun!!

16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

best advise i ever got regarding sparring:

1) you spar to learn, not to win.

2) you fight to win. you don't spar to fight.

3) keep it real.

17. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

* Don't be intimidated by other higher ranks

* Your practice opponents are your classmates who are not there to bash you, but help you

* Everyone gets hit. If they haven't, they have been doing it wrong all along

* Think of sparring as a tool, just let it unfold. With much time, becomes more experience

18. shootodog

shootodog restless native

everyone gets hit!

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Please don't dodge my question again. Do you spar or not? Just say "yes" or "no".

20. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

I think a solid Mai Geri is always going to be your strongest kick Blade.
    Set it up with your hands, jab/cross (oi zuki/gyaku zuki) getting in range with the punches and bringing the kick to the gut (low) right while they are dealing with the jab/reverse.

So thats a left/right punch which they react to, they more often than not retreat straight back, with their mind on the punches, and a right front kick directly after the right punch.
    Dont worry about kicking high, just belt level or a tad bellow is good.

If they retreat to their left (your right) theres a right round (mawashi) kick to thigh right there. Mix it up, always working with combo's.

With the balance, keep them snap and not thrust for a while, that way you can plant your kicking foot quicker and move off again etc.
    Good luck :cool: