i'm learning to free sparr

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Blade96, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I get the why you should not be clever and complex now. :) thanks x

btw can I call you panda?

2. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

go for it. I prefer it haha!

3. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Have fun. Sparring is learning. I've found that thinking in terms of "winning" and "losing" tends to involve the ego, which subverts the intellect. I would recommend going into it with a "let's see what I can do" sort of mindset, if that helps.

At this stage, "strategy" should pretty much consist of "create an opening while not exposing one yourself". Part of that includes keeping your eyes open and on your opponent/training partner, which some beginners have trouble with. Other than that, the specific "how's" and "whys" of strategy will come with training and experience.

It's probably a little early for you, but one concept I try to keep in mind and tell the guys I train with is to always think about what your next move is. Everything, including movements and feints (fakes), sets up something else.

Finally, remember that you're learning something new. You probably won't be great at first. Accept that as part of the learning process and use it to keep you from getting discouraged. Nobody started off with a black belt, after all.

4. Ives

Ives Mokuteki o motte hajimeru

Some good comments there for you Blade96.

I especially like the above: "Sparring is learning.", and: "I would recommend going into it with a "let's see what I can do" sort of mindset, if that helps."

Here's my advice towards young grasshoppers starting anew in the whole sparring thing:

In the beginning (learning to spar) I wouldn't concentrate too much on blocking.
    Why? Because you might end up in a defensive mindset. (This will be very unbeneficial for shiai, but that needs a different approach.) You mentioned you kept at an 45 degree angle; that's a good way to go by.

You might want to discover your partners openings in their guard. First try to find them and try to remember them and attack those points. (Do you have the same openings? What can you do about them?) It doesn't really matter if you can attack those points yet, just try.
    Did you notice patterns in the openings in your partners guard? Good, make use of them!

Like mentioned earlier; most openings appear just after initiating an attack (this means for you and your partner). So when you (think) you see an attack coming: attack the appearing opening.

After some experience in sparring, you might want to alter the approach, or mix it up with the following. (Using the above approach, you kind of neglect your uke/blocks 'n' parries.)
    What you could do is, to focus on blocks only for some rounds (kakari-kumite). Try to stand your ground and block every attack neccessary. (You can switch role with your partner.) Next step in this last game-plan: block and counter-attack (an (obvious) opening offered by) your partner.

During a sparring-session you might what to mix the above approaches up a little.

Remember you are both learning; you and your partner. (That's the reason why you read partner instead of opponent in the above.) You might want to evaluate the session right after. Discuss what went bad and what went well.

Any thoughts/feedback on this are more than welcome.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'd agree with Ives on this, for an additional reason too; if people focus on blocking when they first start sparring, they tend to end up hitting at each others limbs rather than effectively attacking. Evasion and keeping a good guard is better than blocking.

6. Blade96

ooooooooo thank you :)

So much. :)

7. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Yea, spar as many different people as are available.

8. Blade96

just a winsy update, my free sparring is going better, I'm learning how to guard my face and solar plexus and how to looking for openings to punch at. and feel like I'm starting to improve a little.

Though I dont like kicking, due to the balance problem of course, If I get swpt a lot or lose my balance while trying to kick how am I going to be able to sparr well?

Any advice for that?

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

kick less while sparring seriously, train your kicks more outside of sparring or in lighter sparring sessions until your balance improves more, then slowly start introducing them. also, openings are very important for kicking as well, so you'll probably improve with that after you get used to looking for them with punches. same thing but kicks come from below so the openings are a bit different.

10. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Take up boxing?

11. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Have fun, because that is about as much as it is good for.

Cheers

12. Blade96

I do now, I have lots of fun, yeps.

x

Cheers back atcha. :)

13. finite monkey

How do you mean?

14. Blade96

Heh. :p

15. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

Oh my yes. I'm starting to get back in to sparring now because i have a competition coming up, and I realized just how useless the 1 hit kill thing is :p

Although i may just be out of practice. I find my self relying more on blitz attacks and continuing after we have been stopped.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  16. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

Double Post

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  17. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Enter when your opponent throws a side kick at you.

- Move back your leading foot to obtain more distance and deflect his kick with your right arm.
    - Step in your leading foot and jam his leading arm with your left hand.
    - Slide in with your back foot and punch his face with your right fist.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  18. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

You could at least explain how you think this will help her with her sparring.

You don't like sparring?

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

He doesn't like "sport".

20. finite monkey

Well, if one can punch well but has difficulty with kicks due to balance etc, then why not train in a punching art and forget kicks?