I'm confused - perhaps an admin can explain...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Andy Cap, Dec 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

I have been in these forums for 6 months now and have noticed a certain heavy handedness from admins and moderators that confuses me. I have seen threads closed because they were revamps of threads that have already been mad and then I see threads closed because they were olds threads that someone searched out and responded too. So, which is it? For example http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2963&page=3&pp=15 This thread was closed abruptly by Yoda (not to pick on Yoda specifically) because someone was responding to an old thread. Well, isn't that what we are supposed to do? Or, are we supposed to open a new thread with teh same topic if we are interested in discussiing the subject of that thread?

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Oh really?

Attached Files:

3. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

There you go, thanks for the brilliant answer KE. It wasn't a complaint, although I can see how it would be taken as such. It is a concern and an honest question. I have been spanked for starting threads on topics that have already been discussed, but at the same time I have seen threads closed because they are resurrections of subjects people wanted to discuss. What is the answer.?

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Mainly because that was a topical thread started by somebody who has since dissapeared with trace from MAP. We already have threads on that subject, where further comment would be much more appreciated. Certain threads also tend to crop up again and again- for example the traditional retarded 'is boxing a martial art' questions, and we would very much like those 'threads' to GO AWAY.

5. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

OK - thanks. I was annoyed personally because I thought it was a relevant topic. I suppose I could start a search and find another thread that pertains to that topic.

Notto be sarcastic, but if the thread starter leaves does that make the thread obsolete? It may still be of interest to the other members?

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Spanked by who exactly?

If there's already a load of threads on the same topic thats been doing the rounds, or one thats still alive and kicking when you make a new one, then yes, it will be closed. May I also direct your attention to this part of the forum rules:

"MAP Administration has the absolute right to view, edit, modify, close or delete any content found in this community"

Also, if you really think the mods and admin here are "heavy handed", feel free to seek out another forum where the moderation is more lax. Much as you may not like it, the moderation of MAP isn't tailored to suit individual members, yourself included.

Oh, and Merry Xmas! :D

7. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Well how do you do? Very nice answer. In the future I will be sure not to ask any questions for I may be chastized. I will go on blindly wondering which is the correct thing to do - either I can resurrect and old thread on a topic or I could start a new one, but either answer may be incorrect.

8. Not playing devil's advocate here, but the mods do seem to be a little heavy handed on this board. This is something that I too have noticed. I'm not getting at you, but the guy does have a point. Whilst I understand that it isn't tailored to suit the needs of everyone, who IS it tailored to suit?

9. Topher

Topher allo!

I do understand what Andy is saying. If i have questions regarding knife attacks (for example) should i post on an existing thread on said subject, or start a new one?

10. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

You some judegement. Threads IMO should not be ressurected if...

1. They came to a natural end and you have nothing more to add and only wish to ask another question.

2. The thread caused problems

3. The thread has been innactive for a long time - say 6 months or more.

Basically - if you are asking a valid question and there is no currently active thread - start a new one.

Moderating a forum this big is not easy - sometimes we make mistakes - please accept that.

11. I understand - my dad moderates a big forum, too.

12. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

I'll take a wild guess that this forum has grown over time? [end understatement] It's also a fairly safe bet that the tools used to control it have not made things 'easier' at a similar rate.

I {half}jokingly suggested to Gaskell (after shotokanwarrior found a particularly funny old thread) the creation of the 'zombie routine'. A program that brings particularly useful (or just plain funny) old threads back to life after 1 year that poor newcomers would otherwise miss out on.

If your 'point 3' is a shared oppinion, then perhaps the 'locking away the garbage' routine may be needed aswell. Not to remove any old stuff, but to auto-lock it and save anyone returning to it. (A good old 'read only' tab :D)

I've re-read Andy Cap's initial post, and the only two words I can see to prompt KE's curt response are "heavy" and "handed". The question seemed polite, genuinely enquiring, and offering options as to which way to proceed in the future. Obviously I'm stating this purely from what I have read in this thread, and understand that (a) there are plenty members out there gunning for 'the moderators/admins' [and I'm sure you get well sick of it], and (b) you could have had loads of trouble with Andy elsewhere that I don't know about.

Posted in a spirit of Pyung Ahn {peace and harmony} :)

13. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Sometimes we mods hear screaming because someone asks a question thats been asked a thousand times before, and the person doing the asking never bothered to do a search on that subject. For me, thats a number one problem that drives me nuts. And I haven't been a global mod that long. I can't imagine how some of the more senior mods keep from going nuts.

We appreciate everyones opinions and input to the boards. However sometimes we just can't stand to look at one more post that asks something like "who better, Bruce Lee or *insert name here*". We honestly don't mean to offend anyone. Well most of the time we don't mean to.

14. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Out of interest why was the Master Sken DVD thread chopped last week, I posted a comment about the DVD, next thing gone with out trace, I would be really interested to know why, I would of queried it sooner but did not know who to speak to.

15. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Because it was a blatant advertisement started by a guy that had had a previous blatant ad for the same product deleted a few days previously.

16. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Thanks for the answers Yoda, and no I did not mean any malice or to cause trouble. I was genuinely confused by what the rules are or how I should proceed with posting.

I also want to thank the other people that have said a good word in my defense or agreed with me. I don't want to start some sort of upheaval, but it does seem a couple of our moderators need to should try to remember that we are all friends here and should treat each other as such.

Thnx again.

17. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Andy,

This will echo what Yoda has already posted. I've gone on record on MAP, prior to becoming a Mod, of saying much of the same things. I'm on the other side of the fence now and fully understand how difficult it can be in a community of this size.

However, that's what also makes the position rewarding in many respects. I think you'll find that the Moding has only continued to improve here. We all engage in a lot of dialog to help get thing as consistant as possible, and I see improvements each time I visit.

We are all friends here, as as friends, I hope that we all understand that sometimes on festive days we sometimes get a bit to festive and frisky for our own good. :)

- Matt

18. silentwarrior

silentwarrior Valued Member

How does one become a Mod or admin? im just curious

19. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

Also, if you really think the mods and admin here are "heavy handed", feel free to seek out another forum where the moderation is more lax. Much as you may not like it, the moderation of MAP isn't tailored to suit individual members, yourself included.

if everyone took your diplomatic advice this site would be empty.

20. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

From: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21325

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.