i'm 15, and dont have time for martial arts, what do I do now?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Levi, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Levi

Levi New Member

i'm 15, and now that baseball is starting, i will have to go there after school until 6:30 pm.
    I have a black belt in taekwondo, and i have had a white belt in jujitsu, and judo.
    i just dont have time for any martial arts, i'm not old enough for a drivers lisence, and my city doesnt have any form of martial arts.

what can i do at home, to become a better fighter?

2. Kempo Fighter

Kempo Fighter New Member

Whoa, thats a damned tough one, well.
    From what your post says, the only thing I could suggest is having
    to seriously sit down and think about what you need least and can dispense off, then, use that time youve freed up for martial arts. I know it sounds corny, but you seriously have to look at every option available and be honest to yourself to find time. Im also 15, but I actually had a little too much time, so I joined kempo a while back.

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Get to know your parents and other family members even better. Spend long periods of time with them. Have long conversations with them. Draw close. You're away from them a lot as it is with your schedule. Extra effort put into family conversations will pay higher dividends than another activity away from them.

4. Raven Wing

Raven Wing Valued Member

I like the sentiments of spending quality time with your family that's nice.

However for the martial arts side of things, hmm, well you should know your stuff pretty well with TKD, are there not exercises for one you can do with that? Can you maybe get hold of focus mits, kick shield or punch bag for working out at home?

Jujitsu and judo you say you are a white belt at? Might be difficult, if you have anywhere you could maybe practise rolls and breakfalls it might 'keep your hand in' if you see what I mean. If you are determined to keep your martial arts up you will. When I moved and was looking for a new class I had to do what I could at home - keep it simple but do something is the best advice I can give you.
    Good luck

5. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Its simple, choose. Ma or Baseball.

6. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

It's true that it's simple.

Your 15. Chances are that you are going to live for at least half a century longer.

Enjoy your baseball.

When that finishes in a few years time (unless you get to go pro or something), then you can go back to MA.

You have all the time in the world. :)

Practise your breakfalls/rolls. Use a bag. Do TKD katas/exercises (if there are any, I have no idea).

Get close to your family.

Don't try to do everything at once. Enjoy what you're doing now, and when the situation changes, enjoy what you'll be doing then.

7. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

When I was fifteen I "never had time for everything" either but then I learned how to schedule myself. This sometimes includes asynchronous multi-tasking and a not-so-picture-perfect schedule, but when the day's over I usually have done what I had planned.

But if you really have no time you may want to consider taking just one martial art. Taking two or three is quite a nice sentiment, but if you're out of time you're out of time. Pick your favorite by whatever criteria you choose your martial arts by and run with it.

And, of course, you could quit baseball. I never was one for sports like that anyways so that's one area I haven't had trouble with. :)

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  8. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

well you could just perfect what you know in TKD if you choose to cary on with MA.
    or learn on line or off videos(not the best of suggestions but something)

hope this helps.

mike.

9. FATSAN

FATSAN Valued Member

If you just dont have time for martial arts then you just don't do it!

If you are not happy with that situation then you need to change it.

If you're prepared to train on your own at home then speak to your instructors for some advice on solo training excersises - This way you can show your instructors that, although you are unable to attend there classes, you are not neglecting your training and maintaining a good relationship which will make things easier when you can go back.

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Well you have to prioritize whats important in your life right now. If baseball is more important, then thats what you do. My nephew dumped his girlfriend because she wanted to spend too much time with him and it cut into his training. Good for him!

11. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with becoming a better fighter?

12. shootodog

shootodog restless native

he's not doing martial arts so how can he be a better fighter? aikimac's suggestion is to spend more quality time with his family. do something worthwhile with his time.

13. ubermint

ubermint Banned Banned

Join your school's wrestling squad.

14. aikiMac

It has to do with honor, so that you'll know right from wrong by example and so that you'll know when to fight and when to not fight.

It has to do with courage, so that you'll have the inner strength to fight when fighting is right and not fight when not fighting is right.

It has to do with compassion for people, so that healing will become more important than hurting and so that making friends will become more important than making enemies.

It has to do with discipline and priorities, so that you'll know what is important and what is not important and so that you'll have the discipline to do what is important when it has to be done.

15. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Yes, I understand all that. But what does it have to do with becoming a better fighter?

16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

it has everything to do with becoming a better person.

as for becoming a better fighter, the only way to do that is to train. train regularly. train with people who can offer you both guidance and resistance. if you read his original post, he cannot train. so as for being a better fighter, it'll have to wait.

17. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

AkiMac makes a good point.

People hardly ever have time to spend with family, or just plain relaxing. I think its a shame.

If you want to do baseball, then do it. Ma will wait for you, you're not going to die and never get to train.

Take time to relax, dont cram your timetable so much that all your doing is training, working and sleeping. Make time for yourself to go to the beach with your family or girlfriend and relax, even if it takes time away from your ma.

Your not going to become a crap fighter if you take a few months away from ma, sure you might not be as good as you were, but you will quickly get better. Do what you want and be happy doing it, and make sure that you leave time for the special things init.

If people did that, the world would be a much better place.

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Do the things your supposed to do, school, family, etc.... MA's at your age should be far down the list.

19. aaron

aaron Chinese Martial Artist

Back in the old days of China, great martial art masters who had no time to do martial arts because of work did things during the day that make them stronger without anyone noticing. Some things were carry heavy loads of things, horse stance while pretending to sit on a stool, and much more.

I think a good way to start is during your spare time try to do a half an hour parallel horse stance if you can. Another way is during the day, you can wear ankle weights all day to increase your strength and speed in your legs. But since you have "time" on the computer, i suggest that you do pushups while you wait for the web pages to load. :)

20. aikiMac

I always make good points. :Angel:

Consider the difference between feral Wolverine and Batman. Feral Wolverine is more likely to kill and maim people, so in that respect you could say he is a “better fighter.” But I think we all would agree that Batman is more worthy of admiration, and this because Batman has honor and compassion and self-discipline and knows right from wrong, etc. Batman is truly the “better fighter” because Batman has those inner qualities.