Ilustrisimo

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Lutang, Mar 13, 2007.

1. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Now that being said. When your back is against the wall there is a kata that is good for it but if you are not in that position you would not pick that kata for your first choice.

I should have said something like that in the first place :bang:

:D

2. oosh

oosh Valued Member

"Ok, if that is the movement. I guess I would have to say it is impressive.

My Bad."

hehe no probs :)

"Now that being said. When your back is against the wall there is a kata that is good for it but if you are not in that position you would not pick that kata for your first choice.

I should have said something like that in the first place"

Yeah I agree, it is situational, trying to get the right technique, combat principle and theory for the specific situation. I guess this is why the greats, like Tatang and Floro were undefeated - years of dedicated practice in the arts, extensive combat experience, a deep understanding of distance and timing; Plus the fact that they depended upon their fighting skills on a regular basis, in life and death situations.

3. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

That was very well put. :D

4. Limbas

Limbas Valued Member

You hear Him talking to you? Lemme see... either you'd snuff up some good stuff in there and are hallucinating or just got OD'ed big time and your nostrils got hooked up with the Grim Reaper. No problemo. :Angel:

5. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Wikipedia Information

Hi,
    Others and I were in a discussion about Wikipedia (different thread). I was explaining how come I liked it, the ability to find information fast.

I was in the section on Ray Galang for I saw a post about his location and wanted to check something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rey_Galang

If you will notice all the names are in blue and you can see what information is about them. The ones in red have no more information.

I thought it was interesting that Antonio Diego was in red and the others have more information on them than he. Considering he is the head of Kalis Ilustrisimo, I thought that it was odd that he is not included or does not have information about him in the same location as the other pillars of the system.

Guess someone needs to get some information about him in there or maybe he would rather not have his name and information in Wikipedia?

Curious, so I thought I would address it.

Regards, Gary

6. oosh

oosh Valued Member

Interesting question BGuile, but I don't think it is as sinister as you may suspect ;) You'll notice GM Yuli Romo is red also, I tried to post one and it was removed for copyright infringements...even though the information came from www.yuli-romo.com :D I'll be sure to pass on your concerns to a student of GM Tony :)

edit:

Wiki removed it by the way :confused: even though I had linked and had asked PG Peter's permission. It may be a case of writing an article from fresh, all I had done was copy and paste the biography Peter had written.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  7. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi,
    I like that word sinister it simply means left handed and is not a bad one to use. I was waiting for someones input about GM Yuli Romo and was hoping it would be addressed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinister

It is not uncommon for the greats that are content with and very secure in their surrounding's. After all many have mentioned and I read it of late about the most famous in the Philippines did not leave for they were secure.

Similar to others that had to go forth and leave a homeland for they were not the top dog and going abroad was the answer. Questions and answers are just that, how sinister it is in the mind of the beholder I have found.

Those who have left their homeland for reasons of their own and speculation by others is always different I have noticed. It is good that they did go forth because 20+years later the people who are in the Islands are reaping the reward now.

I look at all the ones who went to other locations as the teachers of where they came from and more like goodwill folks than anything sinister. More like the two hands working together, but then some folks don't know what the right and left hand are doing at times FMA can be tricky some times and doing some of the drills you pay when they are not in agreement.

Fame and fortune have a price and some have gone for the brass ring and got it, while others are still around and have lived long lives and are happy with what they do. I see that both in GM Rolo and GM Diego.

I just have been rereading a good book put out by Tuttle Pub written by who else but Mark Wiley, called Arnis. It has a picture of GM Ramiro Estalilla Jr on the cover (I have studied with this person).
    Good book many stories by many of the people that make up Arnis, Escrima and Kali and some that are just writers and givers of information done for others to read and enjoy.

I recommend the book, Krishna K. Godhania has two articles in the book. Good stuff.

Regards,
    Gary

8. Lutang

Lutang New Member

I had the chance to meet Manong Tony and he was a very humble and kind person. From what I could see and from what I have heard Manong Tony and the Kalis Ilustrisimo Orihinal Group are a very low key group who do not look to have their info or material on the internet.

9. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Same tree but have many branches and bear the same fruits.

10. Scarmiglione

Scarmiglione Valued Member

Of course i didn't feel a need to post in an open forum. I feel that anyone who has interacted with the different Ilustrismo maestros will have a similar account to my own. If one wants to know and asks me, i will tell you what i think, nothing more, nothing less. I am not one of the Maestros and there can offer nothing more. ( As a matter of fact i'd very much enjoy a correspondence with one of the five)

The feud itself is no more a feud than a Cold War between two groups.

I found Lutang's choice of name quite amusing, as someone who has some degree of familiarity with the Ilustrisimo system.

Thank you Limbas for your snide tone, it is much appreciated

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  11. eome

eome New Member

This is getting interesting, i can tell you that.

12. John J

John J Valued Member

You had an opportunity to speak with several of these individuals during your trip to the PI and Master Galang's visit to Master Suanico's place. If any issues still exist, it is between them not for anyone else to get involved with.

13. Scarmiglione

I meant to speak with him in a more comfortable setting. It is difficult to speak to one of them regarding the matter until you know them from outside the gym.

There were a number of instances that i spoke with Masters Yuli, Tony and Rey while i was there, and they did influence my personal style very much. I enjoyed conversing with them and would welcome the opportunity to correspond with them again

14. Scarmiglione

Did I meet you while i was there? Sorry if i did, i don't remember.

15. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

GM Diego

Hi,
    I understand GM Diego enjoys the fighting of chickens, I figure it must be legal in the Islands or it would not be an open topic that I have read at times.

The newly arrived groups that have come to America and fight them many use boxing gloves on the feet and do not have the lethal spurs...

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu:80/eggs/res13-feet.html

They love their chickens. Those feet are designed pretty good for the job they do... Has any one mentioned it before and are there any pictures that can be seen other than the one in the book that GM Diego and Topher wrote?

Just a curious side item, but sometimes they need to be things like I am trying to interject rather than the small problems that crop up in all organizatons. That can destroy them if not handled correctly.

I figure it is ok to talk about since we are talking about the number of kills these early eskrimadors had. :D

Gary

16. Limbas

Limbas Valued Member

I guess not. Wonder why some are fuming. :rolleyes:
    You can tell us what you think, its alright, we're all adults here you know. :p
    Five what? Who? Can you tell us Mr Suanico's stance about the term "five pillars"? :Angel:

And those two groups are? :eek:

Is the word "Lutang" a standard term to all Ilustrisimo players? :confused:

Am glad you didn't take offense. :)

17. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Greetings Limbas

Kumusta po kayo? Sana ikaw ay mabuti po.

I haven't noticed anyone other than you and / or Lutang 'fuming!' :confused: :D :D Correcting those who desire to change documented and recorded (video footage / books / etc) history is not fuming, is it? It is merely being HONEST...with oneself, other practitioners and members of the public who have a right to be correctly informed...without any political bias or grand statements.

To my knowledge, the term Lutang is unique to KI and is used by most groups promoting the art. Certainly understood to mean 'floating footwork.' I know that it is used by GM Yuli, M Rey and M Topher. Also the archive and recent footage that I have seen / own of GM Tony, M Romy etc, also makes use of the term 'Lutang.'

I don't think that anyone has taken offense on this thread. Although, some of us have been very amused. :D

Ingat po kayo

Gumagalang

Peter

18. Lutang

Lutang New Member

Peter,

Only you see me as fuming. I actually have enjoyed this thread and the discussion it has created.

19. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Hi Lutang

Kumusta po kayo?

I see nothing of you because you are 'hidden!' :D

To be honest, I don't think that anyone has been really fuming on here at all. What I have found extremely interesting is that there appears to be a very small minority of people who seem hell-bent on rewriting the history of KI. This has only occurred after the passing of Tatang and I am sure that it is the result of some hidden agendas. My view has always been extremely simple on this...if people were considered by Tatang to be good enough at KI and were called 'Masters' and 'representatives' of his art when he was alive, then why should that be rewritten by a minority now? Nobody disputes the status as rightful heir of GM Tony Diego...but equally, nobody should dispute the status of any other instructor that Tatang clearly supported as a Master of his art. History can never be rewritten. It would be like saying that Hitler never harmed anyone, or that there is not a war in Iraq now. It can't be changed, regardless of personal aspirations or insecurities.

Have a good day.

Gumagalang

Peter

20. Lutang

Lutang New Member

I hope you don't think I am one who is looking to re-write the history of KI as I don't believe history can be re-written. I am just one who is interested in the different views and opinions of others. From what I have seen on this thread there are many out there including yourself who are very knowledgable and opinionated on this subject. Overall, great dialouge from everyone.

Thanks!