Illegal Weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Arashi, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Arashi

Arashi Valued Member

It would be greatly appreciated if members from varying states and countries, would tell me what martial arts weapons are ban in their area. Thank you.

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Can't think of any. Just need licensed for a handgun. But MA weapons I think are okay.

3. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

In Norway, you need to be member of a gunclub and over 18 years to own a pistol/revolver. You need to be over 16 years and own a hunting-license to own a rifle.

For other weapons, it highly depends on the context. If you walk on the streets with your gang, fielding hollwyood/hong-kong kliche-weapons, you're sure to get them confiscated, but if you avoid criminal comunities, the police leave you alone with just about anything. There are no rules on exotic weapons such as spears/swords, flails, etc in Norway and the Police works on their common sence. If you get stopped by the police with 14 razorsharp longswords in the back of your trunk, you're probably gonna be fine as long as you say thy're requisits for a play/show.

I was actually stopped by the police one night, while having my 30cm lapp-knife with me. (I had used it in the woods the day before, and forgotten to take it out.) They asked why I drove around with it, and I said it was in case i ran over an elk, and it was all fine, even though i had forgotten my driving licence as well!

4. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

umm lots of things. throwing stars, weighted chains (which i love and can't have one.. just use string insted) which kinda sucks as im a ninjutsu student but i can see why you don't really need training to inflict damage with them. Pretty much everything concealled if the police catch you :)
    plus i heard that the uk was thinking of bringing in a gun lisensing type system for katanas which would be a good idea, had alot of weirdos running around with the recently!

5. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

For the benfit of those in the UK I will post the prohibited weapons list AGAIN.
    Anything can be considered an offensive weapon in the UK if you use it for that purpose.

© Crown Copyright 1988

The legislation contained on this web site is subject to Crown Copyright protection. It may be reproduced free of charge provided that it is reproduced accurately and that the source and copyright status of the material is made evident to users.

It should be noted that the right to reproduce the text of Statutory Instruments does not extend to the Royal Arms and the Queen's Printer imprints.

The text of this Internet version of the Statutory Instrument has been prepared to reflect the text as it was Made. The authoritative version is the Queen's Printer copy published by The Stationery Office Limited as the The Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988, ISBN 0110880196. Purchase this item. For details of how to obtain an official copy see How to obtain The Stationery Office Limited titles.

1988 No. 2019
    CRIMINAL LAW, ENGLAND AND WALES CRIMINAL LAW, NORTHERN IRELAND CRIMINAL LAW, SCOTLAND
    The Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988
    Made 17th November 1988
    Coming into force 18th January 1989

In exercise of the powers conferred upon me by section 141(2) of the Criminal Justice Act 1988[1] , a draft of this instrument having been laid before Parliament and having been approved by each House of Parliament, I hereby make the following Order:
    1. This Order may be cited as the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988 and shall come into force two months after the day on which it is made.
    2. The Schedule to this Order shall have effect.

Douglas Hurd
    One of Her Majesty's Principal Secretaries of State
    Home Office

17th November 1988

SCHEDULE
    Article 2

1. Section 141 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (offensive weapons) shall apply to the following descriptions of weapons, other than weapons of those descriptions which are antiques for the purposes of this Schedule:
    (a) a knuckleduster, that is, a band of metal or other hard material worn on one or more fingers, and designed to cause injury, and any weapon incorporating a knuckleduster;
    (b) a swordstick, that is, a hollow walking-stick or cane containing a blade which may be used as a sword;
    (c) the weapon sometimes known as a "handclaw" , being a band of metal or other hard material from which a number of sharp spikes protrude, and worn around the hand;
    (d) the weapon sometimes known as a "belt buckle knife" , being a buckle which incorporates or conceals a knife;
    (e) the weapon sometimes known as a "push dagger" , being a knife the handle of which fits within a clenched fist and the blade of which protrudes from between two fingers;

(f) the weapon sometimes known as a "hollow kubotan" , being a cylindrical container containing a number of sharp spikes;

(g) the weapon sometimes known as a "footclaw" , being a bar of metal or other hard material from which a number of sharp spikes protrude, and worn strapped to the foot;
    (h) the weapon sometimes known as a "shuriken" , "shaken" or "death star" , being a hard non-flexible plate having three or more sharp radiating points and designed to be thrown;
    (i) the weapon sometimes known as a "balisong" or "butterfly knife" , being a blade enclosed by its handle, which is designed to split down the middle, without the operation of a spring or other mechanical means, to reveal the blade;
    (j) the weapon sometimes known as a "telescopic truncheon" , being a truncheon which extends automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to its handle;
    (k) the weapon sometimes known as a "blowpipe" or "blow gun" , being a hollow tube out of which hard pellets or darts are shot by the use of breath;
    (l) the weapon sometimes known as a "kusari gama" , being a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at one end to a sickle;
    (m) the weapon sometimes known as a "kyoketsu shoge" , being a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at one end to a hooked knife;
    (n) the weapon sometimes known as a "manrikigusari" or "kusari" , being a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at each end to a hard weight or hand grip;
    2. For the purposes of this Schedule, a weapon is an antique if it was manufactured more than 100 years before the date of any offence alleged to have been committed in respect of that weapon under subsection (1) of the said section 141 or section 50(2) or (3) of the Customs and Excise Management Act 1979[2] (improper importation).

Notes:

[2] 1979 c.

2002 Update

2. This Order extends to England, Wales and Northern Ireland only.

3. The Schedule to the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988[2], which specifies offensive weapons for the purposes of section 141 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988, shall be amended by the insertion into paragraph 1 of that Schedule after sub-paragraph (n) the words -
    " (o) a disguised knife, that is any knife which has a concealed blade or concealed sharp point and is designed to appear to be an everyday object of a kind commonly carried on the person or in a handbag, briefcase, or other hand luggage (such as a comb, brush, writing instrument, cigarette lighter, key, lipstick or telephone).".

John Denham
    Minister of State

Home Office
    22nd June 2002

http://www.blades-uk.com/1988ACT.php

6. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

7. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

so is a kubotan illegal in the uk or not? that article/law/paper thingy refers to a hollow kubotan.

8. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Only the hollow kubotan is illegal here, I think. Also, item (n) refers specifically to a length of rope or chain which is longer than the weights, so nunchacku aren't illegal. The things on the list above are illegal to even own, except in some special cases (e.g. antiques I think is one of them) but using anything as a weapon (e.g. hitting someone with a baseball bat) can get you done under the offensive weapons act, particularly if you were planning to use it as a weapon (as opposed to picking it up in self defence).

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

10. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Guns require licenses here, license to own and license for each gun.

You can buy almost any MA type weapon across the counter providing you can prove you are training with a MA club or association. IOW they wont sell it to you if you look like a ganster or look a bit dodgy.

My local MA shop sells throwing stars and all the other ninja stuff like claws etc. I've bought ninja sticks and kubotans from them without any questions.

11. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

It sounds like the UK weapons list ruled out anything sharp or designed for strangling with.

Makes my Bo perfectly leagal. :)

12. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

not so, Strafio.
    anything that the police can prove is a viable weapon that you may have in your possession at a given time can get you nicked.
    exceptions:
    --moving to or from a place of education regarding the alleged weapon
    --moving to or from a reenactment or entertainment show of sorts with regard to said weapon
    --the word, "reasonable", which presides over all laws pertaining to violence or potential violence, which in itself is perfectly legal if reasonably err...reasonable

also, the police are often ill-informed of the specifics of the law so they can confiscate anyway, espescially if you aren't particularly cooperative with them.

one more thing...I know this makes little to no sense but that's the law of the land i'm afraid. i'm open to corrections of course, just to be on the safe side.

13. Romantic

Romantic Martial Prowess

Weapons should be for display and rarely used in real instances.

14. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

In Aust. the laws are under the Commonwealth system of GB so are relatively similar.
    The use of even improvised tools in the application of force are strictly regulated and restricted to specific, proscribed items such as the extendable baton or under licensing for specific officers, in specific circumstances and employ, firearms.
    There are no self defence laws as such and the system has no specific capacity for it. Put simply, in Westminster's mind there is no such thing, only alternating applications of force. These are governed under the "Force Continuum" defined under Victorian law in Sections 458 and 462 of the Crimes Act and pertain solely for the purposes of making an arrest, which anyone is authorized to lawfully perform.

An example would go thusly: if you are being attacked the assailant is necessarily breaking the law. Thereby the course of defending yourself is, in the eyes of the law an arrest of the assailant's activities and thus governed under the Sections 458, 462 and 462(a) of the Crimes Act. It must also, therefore be handled in correct, lawful procession and manner.
    You must witness the assailant in the act of commiting an offense, including various sections of the Summary Offences Act relating to threatening or abusive behavior, common assault, etc.
    It is conceivable that an assailant must first actually land punches on you before you may arrest his activities.
    The provision of Section 458 (making an arrest of another's activities) only covers Summary Offences whilst they are being commited and continue to be commited and the arrest is no longer lawful the moment your assailant feels like no longer beating you for example, although you may record his personal details for a later court attendance regarding the matter. You may not, however effect the attainment of his personal details by any unlawful means and cannot continue his arrest once the offence is no longer being committed.

It is only when an Indictable Offence has been commited, such as a succinctly worded death threat, threats of dramatic injury, causing serious injury recklessly or intentionally, etc. can the arrest under Section 458 continue until such time as police attend and the individual is formally charged.
    Every ex-con I have ever met knew precisely how to play avoiding that whilst they dominated their environment with fear. And that is where this system breaks down.

In my opinion, being derived from an imposed class-structure based culture, it is assumed that criminals are always mindlessly respondant to their own pitiful psychologies and could not have the initiative to play the system against itself.
    This is blatantly not the case and basically any patient, legally aware criminal (and let's face it there's a vested interest for one) simply needs to know where and when to pull back before going at his violent intentions once again to effectively keep any but a circumstantially empowered police officer close to ineffectual by law.
    In other words it just plain doesn't translate well to self defence and is not an effective substitute system.

The Force Continuum [governed under Section 462(a)] is as thus:

Psychological intimidation....................(effecting) Officer presence
    Verbal non-compliance........................Voice commands
    Passive resistance..............................Soft empty hand
    Defensive resistance...........................Hard empty hand
    Active aggression...............................Filled hand (baton)
    Aggrivated (armed) assault..................Potentially lethal force

This is the only facility of which I am aware that exists for "self defence" and is governed, as mentioned under the proviso of effecting a lawful arrest for which you must have witnessed an offence under law.

Thus, arming one's self immediately justifies the use of potentially lethal force against you under say, potentially orchestrated circumstances...
    This is how several Aust. police shootings, whilst lawful involved "mentally ill" suspects wielding knives and advancing towards police positions, in circumstances where most well trained martial artists being so organised and dominant could probably have organised a peaceful resolution with a small matress and a distraction.
    It is also where carrying a knife or any kind of arguable weapon can get one very severely injured or maimed by lawful officers and that saddens me considering a pragmatic perspective.
    As I've mentioned in another thread the system, I feel is inherently geared towards the dominant presence, assumed to always be benevolant/police but can all too easily disadvantage the smaller built or outnumbered upon that basis alone, if they are to remain lawful in their actions.

In addition to all this, under the Control of Weapons Act it is illegal to carry/possess/use a prescribed weapon (those which require permits) or a regulated weapon (those which require a lawful excuse such as employment related, ie. batons).
    Pretty much anything which can remotely be described as a weapon falls into one of these two categories.
    And an improvised weapon is aggrivated assault, for the most part.

I await, with baited breath the abandonment of Westminster's Oligarchy and the adoption of democratic government premise in truth more than "representation."
    Americans got no idea how lucky they are on that basis alone.

15. Lurch

Lurch Angry Kid

I have to pick you up there, Shaolin; ANY kubotan is illegal to carry in the UK. You can own one, but you can't take it out in public.

Many martial arts weapons are legal to own, but in public you really canot carry anyting that could be deemed to be an offensive weapon (I fence, and I have to carry my epees in a bag as taking them out in public breaks the law. You could only hurt someone with one if you clubbed them with the hilt, but there it is). Essentially, if it is manufactured as a weapon it's illegal. If it has been adapted to be a weapon, especially an edged one (eg a sharpened steel comb), it's illegal. Things like sword-sticks are (I think) illegal to own as well as carry, antique or not.

If there are any women who want to know what you can carry for self defense, try a mini-maglite torch or a small can of hairspray - get that stuff in someones eyes and they'll lose interest very quickly.