IJF rule changes

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Gripfighter, Dec 18, 2012.

?

Good or Bad

1. Good

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bad

100.0%
  1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

what are you guys thoughts if any on the new rule changes, step in the right or wrong direction ? it can be hard to interpret what a new set of rules will mean for competitive Judo in practise before they have had time to be used to even the most experienced of Judoka never mind an outsider like my self so I don't understand what all of the changes will actually do. However the further restrictions on grabbing the legs is pretty self explanatory and seems like a step in the wrong direction to me, its just going to bring judo further out of sync with other combat sports and generally make it weaker as a martial art, however I am hearing that the new rules will some how result in more time during Newaza which is certainly a good thing.

2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

The new rules are because Judo fears wrestling. Now there will no longer be any reason for wrestlers to cross-train in Judo, as the rule changes are aimed at minimising cross-overs between the two sports. I think that by minimising outside influences Judo will continue to weaken itself while inclusive sports such as no-gi grappling (and Sambo) continue to strengthen themselves.

This is a terrible move, but it is typical of the insular mindset that seems common amongst the governing bodies of Judo.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I agree with Kave. It's a bad move.

4. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

What are the changes?

5. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

on the IJF Site:

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

So, basically, they want it to look cooler on TV so they're trying to encourage flashy techniques.

7. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Basically they want Judo guys to win the judo tourneys rather than some other style coming in shooting for the legs and winning on the ground.

8. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

This is going to do wonders for wrestling and BJJ.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Another step away from effectiveness for Judo, on the plus side it'll make cross training more attractive for those judo-ka who have more traditional values, and the step away from overly defensive kumikata will keep my fingers less broken in practise.

10. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

Can we add a third option of: Both Good And Bad?
    I like the changes made to Ippon, and that the newaza is longer.

HOWEVER the new rules that are changeing the grip rules are bothering me.

I do have a question about the hugging, is this preventing Ura Nage now? Because if so that takes away one of the counters I plan on learning soon, being a lefty is not much fun when you consitently have to counter Uchi Mata.