If you could only train in two martial arts what would they be?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by u6s68, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

There have been 4 submissions in the UFC this year OVERALL. Says it all I think.

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Is CSW a pure grappling system or does it contain striking? I honestly don't know (or have forgot).

3. Pretty In Pink

Both for sure. Can be taught with and without strikes. In my club we learn without strikes. I think Ben does it with strikes?

4. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Wow I didn't realize it was that bad.

There is a lot to be said about things that people don't know. My kids for example learned Freestyle moves that they used against kids who only knew folkstyle and won because they were not prepared. They don't have that same easy success against people familiar with both.

I realized a while ago that this was kind of at the core of why all the old stories about "rival schools" from the old days of martial arts being super secretive.

BJJ was devastating when nobody knew what was going on. Now it's just another style.

The success of wrestlers comes from an insane amount of conditioning and an aggression and toughness you don't get elsewhere. My daughter went back to our Judo/BJJ club after seven months of being absent due to wrestling and destroyed someone who outranked her who used to tap her out easily. Now obviously results will vary but it was on a totally different level.

The learning curve for wrestlers learning other grappling arts is very good. And that's how you end up with people like Randy Couture doing some BJJ but being lifetime wrestlers being destroyers, whereas lifetime BJJ practitioners can lose to people with wrestling as a base.

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

How does the grappling differ from BJJ?

Any good vids on youtube you could point me to? Not techniques, but the system in action :) only if you have time like.

6. Pretty In Pink

I wish we had wrestling in uk schools. Perfectly safe sport for the most part.

7. Pretty In Pink

Well the way I've heard it referred to is basically "Catch wrestling when you're on top, BJJ when you're on bottom". When strikes are involved it becomes less about passing and more about posturing up to hit, also using your strikes to pass.

I'll try and get some videos uploaded later, when I'm at home. Or you can just watch Josh Barnett at Metamoris 4 :p

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxwh7jHy_LU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxwh7jHy_LU[/ame]

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This is an example of "chain wrestling" - something I am a HUGE advocate of. I teach this chain (which I stole wholesale from Erik anyway!)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_B7Wd4LF28"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_B7Wd4LF28[/ame]

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Depends on what you mean by CSW. The student level syllabus doesn't contain striking, but there's more to CSW than the student level syllabus. The CSW association also has it's STX standup syllabus which fuses Savate, Thai, boxing and elements of Panantukan.

11. Ben Gash CLF

However one of them was a Peruvian necktie, so it's not all bad.

12. Ben Gash CLF

CSW ground and pound (with occasional glimpses of me being very gassed and getting the stuffing knocked out of me) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTuHQTmwDWo&list=UUv-B2n6DJRT3l3fcH19D1YQ"]CSW 2011 Camp - Day 2 - Ground & Pound - Public Clip - YouTube[/ame]

13. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Can anyone find the bit on "Grey area wrestling" that someone mentioned?

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So, getting back to the OP for a second, was your question related to MMA specifically? It was posted in that section. But some of the answers here clearly aren't focused on MMA. (HEMA, for instance, probably won't come up in the octagon.)

That would change my answer a bit. Though one of the styles would be consistent. I'd say #1 would be muay thai (or lethwae or some other near identical form of Southeast Asian kickboxing). Savate might also do the trick.

If we're talking MMA, then we'll go with CSW.

More generally, I'd say FMA. Muay thai and FMA.

15. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Mark Hatmaker's ESP system.

Some JDK"C" stuff- maybe Burton Richardson's stuff or something.

Both have aspects good for MMA competition as well as additional material for SD. With Mark, there's an emphasis on pressure-testing and conditioning as well. I just like kicks more than he does, and I've not seen him do much weapons work, hence the JKD"C" for stuff like that.

16. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

Not purely referring to MMA in the octagon/UFC competition sense. Rather choosing two arts to train in and in that sense mixing martial arts.

Probably better termed "pared martial arts"

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Ah. Muay thai and FMA it is then.

18. Katori_jingu

Katori_jingu New Member

My first art is easy and will probably get flack for it...come to think of it both my picks aren't going to be very popular. So my first art is Kaze no ryu ogawa-ha then it's Kosho ryu kenpo. Ogawa gets a lot of hate for them falsifying their lineage BUT this doesn't make the art they teach invalid to the contrary they are one of the best styles I've ever seen. and kosho ryu gets hate for both it's founder being convicted of murder and for it being passed on to Juchnik instead of to mitose's son. the reason I pick them is because they are extremely nuanced and advanced in their concepts and principles and cover a wide range of skills