If you could only train in two martial arts what would they be?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by u6s68, Jul 14, 2014.

1. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

Why have you chosen the two you have listed?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Judo and BJJ. Mostly because I enjoy them a lot, and at the moment that's my reason for training.

3. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

You wouldn't trade one for a striking art?

4. philosoraptor

Nope. It would make me a better fighter, it would probably prep me better for self defense, but that's not why I'm training :]

5. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

Do you have a preference between judo and bjj? A lot of cross trainers have said they would rely on their judo before their bjj in an SD situation. Would you agree?

6. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Tai Chi and Judo :)

I love TC, and Judo would be a good compliment to it.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

JKD and catch wrestling.

I'm talking mostly about JunFan kickboxing rather than the trappy, wing Chun stuff.

Catch wrestling because wrestling + submissions.

8. philosoraptor

They kind of feel like the same thing to me, with different rules that I have to follow. Relative to the rest of the class, I felt like I had different strengths, but I still just felt like I was grappling in pajamas. The areas of self defense that I would feel comfortable employing my grappling in (one unarmed opponent) seem like they'd be addressed by either pretty well. I'm certainly not advanced enough in either to be the right person to ask though, nor experienced in self defense...

9. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

Judo is the main option for submissions and grappling where I live. Catch wrestling would be cool if I could find it.

10. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

How long have you trained in them?

11. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

FMA and Catch Wrestling. Two styles that I have never tried but would love to do.

(Wrestling is something I've always wanted to do but has never been available. Catch wrestling seems more complete then greco or free style)

Always wanted to take FMA (this is more then one style I know), again never been available.

I think these two styles would make you a fairly competent fighter.

12. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Double post, sorry.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  13. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

I have a sambo guy not too far away. May give his classes a try.

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

How dare you train because you just enjoy it. Go out and become a more rounded fighter immediately!

Mitch

15. philosoraptor

Probably 2-3 years of consistent training in BJJ, less than six months of judo. Enough that I have the framework of a game, but need to spend quite a bit of time honing it. I can generally show up to an advanced class and implement the move of the day in free sparring, so it's kind of a really fun time for me right now. I feel a bit giddy with the ability to just add new techniques and experiment with different things, even though that might be distracting my focus a bit. X guard sweeps are just… soooo much fun.

16. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Kyokushin Karate and Kajukenbo. I enjoy training in Kaju and its great for SD too. Kyokushin Karate, it isn't available realistically round my part of California; NorCal, SF Bay Area. Its available but the drive is about an hour away.

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Do Muay Thai instead - it's basically Kyokushin but with better punching :D

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

They blend beautifully! :D

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I like your selection for the following reasons:

- It's not that hard to develop anti-striking skill. A simple rhino strategy (big fist) will do it.
    - After you have taken your opponent down to the ground, you don't need to learn any striking art to be able to knock him out on the ground.
    - You can train your take down skill 10,000 times a year. How many times can you train your knock down skill in one year? To punch on a heavy bag is different from to use your fist to meet your opponent's face and knock him out old.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  20. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I guess I'd pick wrestling and Karate then if I only had to pick 2 (ironically neither of which I am doing right now).

I'd pick wrestling 'cos wrestling. At heart I think I have always had more of a preference for grappling and takedowns and the like. Don't really have any preference as to what type though.

As for Karate, I'd aim for a good Goju Ryu school if I could. Always had a soft spot for that style. All that training with equipment and physical conditioning and beautiful katas really appeals to me as a form of physical meditation as much as anything else. Only thing I would have to insist on would be a bunkai based off HAOV and/or realistic attacking combinations rather than the dross you often see in Bunkai demonstrations from most clubs.

If I couldn't get a good Goju school, then I'd aim for either Kyokushin or something like Uechi Ryu.