If you could have your 1st year of training back.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Prophet, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

What would have done differently if you could redo your 1st year of training?

Think in terms of exersise selection and set/rep patterns. Also, any other changes you may think of.

EDIT

I'm still in my 1st year so I cant comment :p

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  2. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

Where do I start? I would have eaten properly, stuck to mainly compound movements, only worked out 3 times a week as opposed to 5, and lifted heavy enough that I could not manage more than 8 reps.
    Also I would not have joined a gym where there are too many people talking to you! I would have just bought my home kit in the first place :p

EDIT: My gains and muscle development have been a lot better since I started doing the above!

3. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

same :p , but iam curious, what is that arabic writing beneath your name say? :D, where u from?

edit: btw i like "prophets painting workshop" bahahahah :D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I would have done all compounds, no isolation and I would have done a lot more leg and back work.

5. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

The arabic text is like this: I typed "I love girls and girls love me" into a translator and got that arabic text you see. But then I put that arabic text back in the translator and it really means "I am the most preferable Anatha and a concern loves me" Hahahaha

Also, do I detect sarcasm with the painting workshop comment?

6. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

bahaha, you cheater :D

nah it was just funny, but i like ^^

7. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I would have followed a good beginners program instead of making a full body routine by myself. The only good thing I did was squatting 3 times a week. The biggest problem was probably going to failure too often.

8. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Same, and I would've eaten MORE and taken lifting more seriously. I plan on doing this tomorrow when I finally get my weight set. (yeah, sears got my weights in, they didn't tell me they've had it since july 28th!!!!!!!)

9. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

does that mean its now free? :D

10. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

I would've done more shoulder work, and less treadmill work. I would've started deadlifting sooner. Also, I would've found more martial arts tournaments to enter. (Goals are good. Goals with concrete timelines are better).

Also, I would've avoided Fiction Fitness magazines. I must've bought 3 or 4 a month, in my first year alone. Figure they were $4.00 each (average), that's $192 bucks right there. :cry: :bang:

11. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Snap on the magazines :cry:

12. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

I know, but remember, waaaay back when I started lifting, this new-fangled online intranet-thingamajig was just getting started. There was no MAP, no T-Nation, no EliteFTS. I had to get info from somewhere. But for "today's generation", I think the overwhelming majority of paper magazines out now are over-rated.

13. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

My first year of weight-lifting was when I was a Junior in high school and took weight-lifting and conditioning.

I wish I could take it ALL back. NO sitting on the bench with 20 lbs dumbells telling people I was toning :bang: NO wasting time with countless isolation exercises while avoiding all compounds save for the bench press (I benched a lot, the only thing admirable that I did, and I benched pretty high weight, but sometimes I would try to tone with 20 reps of 135 :eek: )

14. fixationdarknes

fixationdarknes Valued Member

I'm still in my first year also, but I'll say what I would've done differently at the beginning.

1. I would've kept a journal.

2. I would've tracked my calories and had a goal of either losing, maintaining, or gaining weight.

3. I would've had a better diet.

4. I would've starting deadlifting and squatting sooner.

5. I would've done a real routine instead of just going to the gym and benching some, curling some, doing some lat pulldown and thinking I'm good to go. lol.

15. laoch

laoch New Member

I don't really remember anything specific I would've changed about my first year of training but I know something big I would've changed about my second... I wouldn't have quit. I only really got into working out around the end of high school and then when I hit college I got more into booze and less into working out. Boy was that a mistake. Graduated high school at 6' 2" 180lbs. Graduated college at 6' 2" 230 lbs. 50 pound difference (a fair bit of which was muscle, but not nearly enough). I guess that's what workin in a bar does to ya. Oh well, back into training now and workin my way back down to 200 lbs (somehow I missed it on the way up:)).
    Cheers,
    Jay

16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

More conditioning. Eaten right. taken supplements and generally done alot more to perfect my body and condition.

17. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

No because I paid for it already...those evil people at sears. O well, I got a 210 Oly set for 106. Watch They sell the 300 pound set for 100 bucks in a month....GRRRRRR! :eek:

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I wouldn't do anything different.

19. enquea

enquea New Member

in my first year i started off by doing 5 reps 3 sets of clapping pressups, 100 reps 2 sets of concentration curls, and 100 reps 2 sets of overhead tricep thing :cry: i did that for about 4 months till i found martialartsplanet, you guys are my saviours :) i also lowered my food intake cos i wanted to lose my 5% bodyfat.....

20. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

I would've benched a little bit more. I was always embarassed because I was so weak at that...well, I still am weak at it :eek:

I am glad that I did the lower back machine thing...the one where you lean back while moving the weight. It made my lower back very strong and hard as a rock. That's why I can squat and deadlift so much! :D

Oh, and doing all those curls on that machine made my biceps very nicely defined.