Idiot Pacquiao re-signs with Top Rank

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, May 20, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

There went any possibility of a fight with Floyd right there.

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/DHB/Steve-052014.htm

Now we have to ask the question... who does Manny fight? They want Marquez yet a FIFTH time in Macau China (yeah, I'm sure Marquez will go there where he'll get a fair decision if it goes to one), other options I have seen have been Ruslan Provodnikov... but as far as big names go... I really can't think of any. arum has exhausted all of the fighters he exploits, oh I mean promotes.

Meanwhile, Floyd is also running out of big name options that would rake in big PPV money. This is the one reason that I wonder if he was playing a big with Maidana... who's left? khan? He has little to no chance, has lost twice by big KO's and should have lost his fight to Diaz. There's Thurman and Porter, but neither are a big enough name to really bring in big PPV numbers. I can definitely see Floyd eyeing the winner of Cotto vs. Martinez next May.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If Pacquiao, who will be remembered as one of the greatest lb-for-lb boxers of all time, is an idiot, then the rest of us can only aspire to achieve a fraction of his idiocy.

The Mayweather fight is irrelevant. It would have been a genuine superfight 3 years ago, now it will just be a circus act. Neither guy needs the money and neither guy needs the W.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I wish I were an idiot

[​IMG]

4. holyheadjch

and that's just where his gardener lives.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

[​IMG]
    Yeah, it doesn't look like he's doing too badly from my vantage point.

6. Saved_in_Blood

don't forget about his multimillion tax issues too before you view his house.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So is this part of your whole "I feel sorry for Manny Pacquiao" bit? Because the overall tone when you talk about him isn't pity. It sounds inexplicably bitter.

8. Saved_in_Blood

Well, I wrote "idiot" because I thought he had learned from the previous company he had hired who had told him he wasn't getting all of the money that was actually owed to him. arum has taken advantage of the guy all of these years, but not re-signing with him could have made him a whole lot more since there are so many other fighters that he could have been matched up with that people would buy. His last 2 PPV's haven't even broken a million, and the Rios fight sold under 500k... that would be a good number if he first was starting out.

He should have taken the 40 million that Floyd offered him to fight, but he turned it down, thinking that after PPV it would equate to more than that, but not once arum got his hands on it.

So since I follow boxing and you apparently don't, why don't you tell us all why is was a good decision for him instead of showing a picture of his house.

This report says Manny owes 18 million dollars http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw...-victory-over-bradley-is-big-win-for-irs-too/

It also states that he may owe as much as 50 million.

Here's another one: http://www.faniq.com/blog/Manny-Pac...ing-money-to-help-with-typhoon-aid-Blog-73016

Anything else?

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You may be right. His life may be an irredeemable mess. But you really sound like you're reveling in it. So congratulations on knowing the business of boxing. But between your hissy fits toward me and your bashing of a man you seem to acknowledge has been victimized and is otherwise a decent human being, you're coming off as pretty unpleasant at the moment.

But, hey, choose your own adventure. Maybe that tone'll play better with a different audience than me.

10. Saved_in_Blood

My tone is based off of people who write or say things without knowing anything about an issue. Showing a picture of the man's house that he cannot afford because of the company that he re-signed with shows he is financially ignorant and really could go after them in court and have signed with someone else. After all of what people have told him, and what he has seen in his own financial statements, you would think he would have said good riddance to them wouldn't you?

11. holyheadjch

I'm not sure what his tax issues have to do with Bob Arum. That's his accountants job.

You know nothing about the contract he has with Top Rank and you know nothing about how that contract compares with those offered by other promotions.

You seem to think that money is all that matters in boxing. That's really sad.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Well, you have my unreserved apologies for venturing an opinion less well researched than your own on a discussion forum of all places. Feel better now?

Honestly, what goes on with you? This isn't mod speak. Just one poster to another. The level of vitriol you display sometimes simply doesn't make sense to me. Right out of the starting gate, "Pacquiao's an idiot." Not "his manager is a jerk." Not "boxing is a dirty business."

Tell you what. Clearly you don't like my input on this issue. Clearly you think his financial woes trump anything else going in his life. And clearly, you think that warrants calling the man an idiot. We'll agree to disagree. And I'll plan on steering clear of your posts from here on out in any capacity other than moderation.

That should help.

13. Saved_in_Blood

I use the term "idiot" for him in the same sense that one would say "hey, I wrecked my car because I was doing doughnuts in the parking lot"... "you're an idiot"

In this particular case the idiot part is Manny clearly not listening to what the entire world, and even his own country wants him to do which is get into the ring with Floyd. Manny can still make money with his win over Bradley, I don't, and have never felt that he has the style to trouble Floyd in the least, but that's beside the point. I actually want the guy to get the payday so he can at least not be in the red anymore. If he happened to win, great... then we'd get a rematch and he'd make even more.

I get tired of seeing broke fighters (sometimes purely by their own stupidity mind you) taking all of this punishment and then can't speak later on and have zero to show for it at the very least. Who will pay his insurance if that happens to him? Who will take care of his family financially?

Oscar and Floyd both left arum and have been hugely successful, I just don't get how Manny could not see that and know he would be better off going with someone else.

14. Saved_in_Blood

Money doesn't matter then? So when you believe you are making 20 million for a fight and actually only take in about 6 million after the arum tax and the other 30 something % of government tax. Ok sure, 6 million sounds great right? You believe however that you have more and thus spend more than you can which puts you in debt, and then when tax time roles around, you have even more problems.

arum is a lawyer and as smart as he is at robbing Manny, he can't manage to help him out of his debt?

Not that I'm a fan of his, but this is what Alex Ariza had to say:

It seems now, even members of Pacquiao's inner circle agree with what Alex Ariza first told FightHype readers over two years ago; that Bob Arum and Michael Koncz are preventing a mega-fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao from taking place. "For this fight, Arum should not be involved. That is the only way for the fight to happen. Everybody wants the fight. Bob should give way if that is the only way. That is the advice I can give to Manny for now," Gacal added.

Mike Koncz is the thief in all of this... arum is just the one playing stupid, like he doesn't know what Koncz is doing. Manny is to good hearted for his own good. Koncz knows that he can just ask for Manny to forgive him and he will because of his religious beliefs. That's great to be like that... but you can forgive someone and no associate with them as well.

This explains in detail about Floyd's 40 million offer to Manny. Breaking down numbers and also mentions the fact that Manny also pays 10% to Roach and Koncz for basically doing nothing but sitting there being ugly.http://www.boxingnews24.com/2014/02/breakdown-of-the-40-million-offer-by-mayweather-to-pacquiao/

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  15. Saved_in_Blood

My apologizes for my hostility btw. I am not always the most emotionally stable person... hence the reason for multiple anti-anxiety medications.

16. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Know I'm late to the party, but more like "That's the manor in which I roll."

17. Saved_in_Blood

It's beautiful... the shame of it is he'll wind up in a cardboard box for all of his trouble.

18. holyheadjch

Yeah, that's never going to happen.

You're effectively saying that a man who is only earning $6m for a night's work is going to end up in a cardboard box. Most people would manage just fine on $6m for a lifetime's work.

Nowhere have you shown that another promoter would act differently to Bob Arum. Nowhere have you shown that another promoter would lead to increased revenues for Pac.

You're just whinging because you want the Floyd fight to happen and Mayweather's promoter wont do business with Arum - yet somehow, this is Arum's problem and not Richard Schaefer's.

Manny is going to be fine. You on the other hand, will always be bitter.

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, okay. But it's become a trend between you and me. So, as I said, I'm going to limit our interactions. If your posts don't require moderation, I won't be darkening your door again. It simply isn't paying off for either of us.

20. Saved_in_Blood

Always be bitter about what? Seeing fighters get taken advantage of? You think 6 million is ok when you have a "20 million dollar guarantee" right? However, if he indeed does owe 50 million dollars in taxes that means that all of his big fights since about 140 lbs don't matter. Have you not read any of the articles I posted? He OWES arum because he had to borrow money from him to help with the typhoon victims in the Philippines. This means he himself doesn't have enough money. One source states that he has 30,000 in his bank account. That doesn't sound fine to me. I don't care that much about manny vs Floyd and have felt for a long time it would be an easy nights work for Floyd and believe it or not I don't think that's his biggest legacy fight, but rather fighting the winner of cotto Martinez at 160.

I'd like to see manny get the fight and bypass arum so he can make more first. How much I care about seeing the fight is very low on my scale of excitement.