ICHF Seminar (May 3)

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Thomas, May 5, 2003.

1. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I went to an ICHF seminar last Saturday in Lake Placid, New York (USA) at the US National Olympic Training Center. I'd like to share the topics that were covered to give people an idea of what's covered in these seminars.
    Cost for the seminar was $80 (US) and included lunch in the athletes' cafeteria (excellent food!). The seminar began at 9:30 am and lasted until 5 pm. The instructor was the founder of the system (Cheondoo kwan Hapkido) Grandmaster John Pelligrini (see cover of latest Black Belt magazine).
    1. We began with 2 hours of empty hand techniques, beginning quite basically and progressing into some neat joint locks. We worked passing blocks and circular deflections.
    2. We expanded the empty hand techniques into a few pressure points that can be used. Later, the empty hand techniques and pressure points were combined in common self defense applications like bear hugs and grabs.
    3. lunch break
    4. We worked basic cane techniques and moved up to some intermediate and a few advanced techniques. We had lots of practice time as well and plenty of canes to go around.
    5. We worked knife disarming drills, including defenses from an icepick style attack, to a low thrust, and to fore and back slashes.
    6. We then spent some time working thrid person protection drills and discussed when and why to intervene. After practicing the techniques, we had a brainstorming/ Question and Answer time for other situations.
    Overall, it was a great seminar. Grandmaster Pelligrini is a natural teacher and teaches with respect and openness. The seminar was open to anyone and we ranged in rank from completely non-experience non-martial artists to grandmasters. It was done very systematically and seemed to hit techniques for every level. I would highly recommend an ICHF seminar for any martial artist.

2. HKD

HKD New Member

he has a seminar coming the high point NC in agu. which is about 40 min. from where i live. i hope to go to it this year.

HKD

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I hope you have a great time. I have heard that soon, Grandmaster Pelligrini will begin cutting back on the seminars he personally teaches and have more of the regional directors take over. GMP is a great instructor but the regional directors are interesting, too. I am looking forward to whatever comes up next!

4. hercules

hercules New Member

I am happy to see you enjoyed the seminar.

I personally intended Pellegrini`s seminar back in 1996.

So far I haven`t been impressed by the hapkido part at all.
    All I have seen is basic locks and yes there was deflection techniques but I believe a wing chun class is much more appropriate for this.

On a personnal level, that guy has got a huge ego and seriously lacks modesty.

On the good side, the weapon part was good. (taught by master Bram Franck at that time)