Ice Baths

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Simon, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Have any of you tried ice baths, or cold water therapy.

I have started to do some work directed by the incredibly clever, but nutty as a fruit cake, Wim Hof.

I now take daily two minute cold showers and the effect on my mood has been noticeable.

My pulse drops and my mood definitely lightens during the cold showers.

His breathing method is new to me as well and that also has a positive effect.

Mitch and axelb like this.
  2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Yes I've been doing them for a few years, usually around the time of increased activity (training for a race).

I feel it helps when I'm particular over sore, and have an elevation of mood also for some time after.
    Also do the cold shower, usually after training. I haven't followed Wim Hoff's method, so I'm not familiar with the breathing part, I follow slow deep breathing method that I would normally do when meditating.

The ice bath 1-2 times a week, I don't do more than that, probably not a true ice bath as I believe it needs to be a metal bath. I use my normal bath, with 2 shopping bags of ice (not sure how much that is, but that's what I use to carry it from freezer to bath).
    I can't fit my whole body in, so it's up to about my lower chest area for no more than 10 minutes.

I notice my HR drop for some time after also, based on reading of my watch.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I know someone who took all wim hofs claims as being true (which there not, but are still impressive) tried out his hyperventilation method, and almost drowned in his bath.

Then I looked into it and a few people have actually died due trying to follow his methods, so that put me off it.

Then I looked in more detail ( not this but something very similar in Dutch: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/wim-hof-the-iceman/ )

And it looks like he has a natural adaption to cold, which his twin brother who doesn't "do breathing" also can do.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like a cold shower, and I think some fortitude training is good for the self, but be careful with the hyperventilation practice.

There's a reason respiratory homeostasis evolved!

Edit
    I've just checked, there's been a few more deaths now, I can see 4 from a quick Google, including at least one this year.

4. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Hi there, Back in my crossfit days, we had an infared sauna, and an icebath. We would alternate between the two on recovery days. Once used to it, its a very helpful recovery combination. The only issue I had was itchy skin, but that was from the ice/heat combo. Icebaths get deeper than a cold shower IMO.

Mitch likes this.
  5. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Cold plunge therapy works wonders for athletes, but especially strikers.

I know a lot.of people in their latter years regretting they did not learn about this earlier in their training.

6. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I do it occasionally. Certainly when I feel like I may have tweaked a muscle, freezing it in the cold water definitely helps.

I think beyond any specific physical benefits it's a good at building mental resilience. I hate cold water and the water in my building is just barely above freezing in winter, so it takes some real effort on my part.

7. Dead_pool

Well this episode of BTB had me rolling with laughter about Win Hofs " park story".

Does anyone here still take his schtick seriously?

axelb likes this.
  8. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Hey Deadpool long time.

I don't know much about Wim Hof other than he's one of those controversial figures who can do amazing things that most people should never attempt. The cold plunge/ immersion stuff is, as far as I know, fine for most people, but it depends on your overall health condition. I've actually read studies show cold water therapy (showers/immersion) is effective for improved circulation in some people, bad for heart muscle in others, and very bad for people who should avoid cold shock altogether.

When I see these kids of mixed studies, I usually conclude it depends on the individual person, and something people should talk with a doctor about. A full immersion definitely taxes the heart, which is probably fine for a pro athlete but not for, say, and obese person with hypertension, asthma etc.

I personally prefer to cold plunge things like sore limbs, or just my face (I have read in several places that cold water facial immersion can immediately lower a rapid heart rate).

I didn't have a chance to watch that video (I don't have alot of time for podcasts these days) but could you summarize the "park day" story so I could go look it up when I get a chance?

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Dead_pool

Tldr, he's lied about pretty much everything in his past, he's lied about all his accomplishments, his lied about the medical studies he's taken part in, and he's personally almost died multiple times due to very poor decision making skills, which leads into his risking other people's lives both through his courses and through his PR stunts. Which has lead to multiple deaths.

In the park story, after abandoning his underage children in a squat, for a new woman after his wife died, years later he arranges to meet one of them in a public park, before hand he gives himself an enema using the public fountain (which he has done before) which due to a change of fitting cuts through his intestine wall and leads him to having emergency surgery, during which he refuses all antibiotics and instead using breathing..... (Which is very very very unlikely to be true)...…...

Wim is a classic grifter.... He's just managed to disguise it quite well.

Grond and axelb like this.
  10. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Thanks. I thought the guy had bona fide Guinness records. He's in their Hall of Fame, so I kind of assumed at least a few things checked out.

Wim Hof: The Iceman

Is there some info out there on the medical studies he has lied about? I'm really interested in this.

11. Dead_pool

Interesting he only has one actual world record, which is still a good thing, it's just not the 18 or so he claims.

All the references are in the linked podcast if you have time.

Grond likes this.
  12. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I'll try to get through it. Not a big fan of Gonzo journalism these days, but I'll give it a shot. At my age I tend to put these things on then wake up from my nap 30m later.

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. Dead_pool

You'll want to stay awake for the park story!

14. Dead_pool