Iaido anyone?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by YODA, Jun 4, 2002.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi all

Anyone here study Iaido?

If so do you study a traditional style or Seitei? Or both?

2. khafra

khafra New Member

I do a coupla forms once in a while with bokken, since my aikido instructor studied some iaido. I couldn't tell you whether it's some traditional style or seitei, though.

3. YODA

Hi Khafra

Describe one to me - maybe I can enlighten you :D

4. khafra

khafra New Member

Heh. Lesse--Start in seiza, then in discrete movements-'cause we're the beginningest of beginners-push the guard with the thumb and ease the blade out an inch while rising on the toes. Right leg forward so I'm kneeling on one knee while slashing horizontally with the blade, then bring it back in, grab the bottom of the hilt with the left hand, and vertically bisect the imaginary opponent's head. Let go with the left hand and bring the blade around in the right hand, palm up, arm straight out parallel to the ground, and the blade facing straight back. Bring around in a salute while rising, and switch feet-left forward, right backward. Sheath while slowly kneeling, then stand again when done. Bring feet together, drop left hand from sheath, and take two steps back-left, right, feet together.

Sorry for the english terminology, can't remember what everything's called if we're nihongo de hanashimasu

5. YODA

Yep - that's the 1st Seitei Iaido Kata.

6. acrawford

acrawford Ki-Ken-Tai no Ichi

was taking your advice about my suggestion and came across this old thread.
    What ryu do you study, and where can I find more info on the dog brothers that you mentioned in your journal.

7. YODA

I haven't studied Iaido formally for a long time.

Our website is at...

www.dogbrothers.com

8. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

dont study it, but interested in taking it up, if theres any clubs / classes in county durham. anyone know of any?
    :)

9. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

I study Muso Shinden Ryu through the BKA

I also study Aikido (Which is how I found my interest in Iajutsu)

Dave

10. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

I take Iaido started for the foot work ended up likeing it.
    It realy helps with learning distance and such for my hand to hand style and our foot work is basicly the same.