I want to train blindfolded. (to sharpen my other senses)

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Sedvan, Nov 22, 2005.

1. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

try it out and you will probalble resemble your name :)

2. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

I'm not sure about Muay Thai. I'm sure it's no different than training blindfolded with a live knife.

3. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

blindfolded chisau

I have played blind folded chi sau it was very interesting.. I liked it I actually relaxed more at first..... and found my Tai Chi Chuan came out or so my teachers said........aftr a few minutes I would get nervous....

4. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

i once sparred blindfolded in a bedroom. years later my shin remains scarred. i passed out due to smashing my shin into the sharp wooden point of a bedpost...good times.

5. Kata-Kid

Kata-Kid New Member

This should be something Dale Seago could give some pointers on, i think. The Sakki-test is about sensitivity (atleast what i've gathered), so he should be able to give some great input.

6. rubberband

rubberband Valued Member

In 1985 Sid Campbell wrote a book called "Shadows of Darkness: secrets of a night fighter"... It covers exercises he used to train blind karateka as well as to enhance the awareness of his seeing students. I think the book is out of print now but was published by Paladin Press. You might be able to find a used copy floating around... ISBN 0-87364-1...

In the book Campbell covers basic concepts of spacial feeling to detect someone in the dark and gives examples of drills for increasing night awareness, movement through a house, and fighting when you can't see... overall I like the book...

I have practiced submission wrestling both standing and on the ground blindfolded and find it to be rewarding for increasing ones sense of touch... however I have also found that it can negatively effect your wresting game by making you want to hold on a bit too much to the other guy...

I have also practiced many of the drills Kurohana described and have found that you can over practice them to a point where you rationalize what happens and start confusing yourself... I think it is best to practice them once in awhile and not all the time... I have found that having this ability remain a mystery is the key to it working when you need it to... just learn to listen to it, then move on to something else... the more you try to control it the worse you will be at it...

take care, steve

7. stormtrooper

stormtrooper New Member

8. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

That's a very good point about not overtraining. Another thing I would like to add is vary your partners. Otherwise you begin to read your partner instead of actually increasing your sensitivity or awareness.

9. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Try not to hold onto your parnter as much; let them wrestle you around without putting up much resistance at first. You should be able to feel them move without holding onto them constantly.