I want to make my own Nunchucks, has anyone ever done this?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Rosie the Riveter, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

God yeah how many times do you see the fact that some crook also happens to do a martial art?

Even if it has no relevance what so ever to the crime or story.

2. Atre

Atre Valued Member

I'd say this post (http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074410614&postcount=17) is the way to attempt it.

You need the rope to pass between the rods on-axis or else when you swing one of the rods will be at an angle; would make them impossible to use.

- Don't trust glue
    - Don't trust mechanical fastenings (ie screws)
    - Unless you know about knots and how well given ropes hold them you should superglue or melt together the knot in the rope.
    - Use wood with a fine grain (anything that comes in dowels should fall under this category)
    - If putting furrows in the wood use a sander. Do NOT cut furrows into the wood, you risk splitting the grain if you don't have experience and that is asking for trouble later
    - The bit the rope wraps around takes the full g when swinging the chaku, so don't make it too thin!

3. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

We are martial artists. We put ourselves through unnecessary pain and punishment to further our knowledge, understanding and skill in our chosen fighting art. For what? To be tougher? To be badass? Maybe - but maybe not. Perhaps we just are trying to be better people...

This is not understood by a massive percentage of society who sit back and have life spood-fed to them. To them we are barbarians and thugs who like to kick the crap out of each other cos we like inflicting pain. They fear us because to do this to ourselves is insane in today's society and we must therefore be mad. They think life should be work, Sainsbury's, TV, two weeks in Spain every year, a quirky gentle hobby - and then death.

The more exciting members of modern society may break a sweat playing squash or badminton - and be proud of their efforts. Sadly, the biggest culpits of this relaxed TV-nurtured nanny state are the world's lawmakers, and we don't need to encourage potentially illegal activity and make a rod for our own backs. Here in the UK, we have a knee-jerk mentality to things that live on the edge of the law, martial arts and weapons being amongst this number.

I amongst others on here practice arts that use (what are known in the UK as) Section-18 weapons - basically things that are banned to own, let alone take out of the house or buy/sell. Virtually all of these S-18 weapons were banned through the usual knee-jerk idiocy. Fortunately there are loopholes that can be utilised - but I'd hate for these to get filled by some excitable politician with a vote-winning opportunity handed to them on a plate by some dunce who beats his neighbour half-to-death with something teetering on that edge.

Thomas Hamilton's terrible actions stopped my handgun shooting fun (handgun ownership was withdrawn in the UK), and various gang-related (and lunatic-related) sword attacks have caused Japanese sword ownership here to become that much more difficult.

Let's try and encourage safe ownership of weapons, eh?

To the OP:

• If nunchaku are legal to own in Montana, go buy some and seek out a teacher. They ain't so expensive (less than $20) that self-manufacture is the only option.
    • If they are illegal, don't buy them, don't make them, don't own them.
    I have this in my sig on Kendo World forum - and if more of us lived by it, we'd do very well for ourselves:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  4. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Indeed, one of the ryuha I have been given permission to teach in recently is very tough to teach in the UK.

Why?

We have kusarigama, chigiriki and ryofundo (kusarifundo) in our mokuroku.

Section 18 listed weapons.

5. Constant Flux

Constant Flux Valued Member

I guess its a cultural thing. Alot of times I read a post from someone in the UK and it seemed like you guys were overly cautious or just plain paranoid. I'm beginning to understand that you guys have some very strict laws over there, thus your cautiousness may be warranted.

6. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Breaks peoples' bones when misused.

So be responsible and get a good teacher. :)

7. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

I'm sure I said that several pages back lol

8. Shinobi-son HSC

Shinobi-son HSC Valued Member

I had a buddy make a pair once. 2 pieces of wood, 12 inches long, round. Drilled a hole through the center of both pieces (long ways). Ran a single piece of rope through one piece, knotted it off, and then ran it through the other piece. Adjusted the length of the rope between the 2 pieces, and made a final knot. Worked great. I saw a ball bearing chain set once that didn't seem to expensive if you wanted to have a chained pair. It was just the chain, so you would of had to attach them to some wood, rubber, or metal.

Hope that helps. Though I didn't go through all the pages to read peoples comments, it seemed people thought you would be immature with them so they commented about how you shouldn't do it instead of giving you any help. So to anyone that already answered, kudos, and to those who didn't, help through education not criticism and doubt. Everyone deserves the chance to prove responsibility.

9. Dave Humm

Actually, I agree whole-heartedly with this sentiment, only problem is, this is the 'tinternet where real life analogies don't work.

10. Shinobi-son HSC

I can agree with your statement as well. As here intention is to create these nunchucks in real life and not the internet, my statement has the potential to hold truth.

What she does with these is no one's business but hers. If one can help others by offering knowledge that they have to someone seeking that knowledge, then I feel they should as long as it does not effect ones sense of morals. You never know, by offering this little bit of info to her, there may be a time at a later date when she has info that I need, and she will want to share as well. I can relate to the need for knowledge, as I am a sponge and like to absorb as much as I can.

Peace

11. Dave Humm

You miss my point mate, in real life you'd be asked the question directly, face to face, you'd most likely know the individual, their character and personality thus, you'd be in an informed position to decide whether to give out that information or not.

Here, on this website you have no idea whom you're "helping" so with due respect no, I don't think your statement holds up.

12. HempStCrew Don

HempStCrew Don Grammar Nazi

I dont even know what to say to this post or half the other posts people have made. Someone comes here asking a simple question and people troll her about calling chucks Nunchucks instead of nunchaku...same difference people, go troll elsewhere.

As for my experience with making chucks, I only made a cheap plastic pair out of vaccum attachments when I was like 14 attached with some hemp rope. They did not work well and were too long...did not try to make a good useful pair, was bored.

As for making good homemade nunchucks, I would google some plans and research types of wood you want to use. I have several pairs and each feels very unique...my first pair of chucks is made out of white oak filled with wax in the center. My favorite pair are my speed chucks with short handles and extra long chains made from a very heavy wood.

And keep up with your "free style" chucks...nothing wrong with it and you can learn alot more IMO. There is more than one way to do things, and anyone that says you need to learn something a certain way is ignorant and should be ignored completely.

Stay positive and keep on chucking it up:D

13. Dave Humm

Anyone know how to make fertiliser based explosive ?

14. HempStCrew Don

no, but if I wanted to I could learn...as you said in this age of interwebz, the information is out there for all to know.

http://www.anarchycookbook.org/ ...have fun with you homemade explosives. Dont free style it though, you need to learn from a qualified teacher.

15. Dave Humm

You understand the irony involved in your attempt at humour ?

16. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

The knock on the door you're probably about to get won't be friendly ............

17. HempStCrew Don

do you understand the irony in you trolling this person asking a simple question on a forum meant for discussion of all areas of martial arts? Clearly you do not because you have not provided anything related to the topic on hand.

I dont want to get into a flame war with someone that cannot stay on topic.

Stay positive out there people...peace

18. Shinobi-son HSC

Yes I do know how to make a fertilizer based explosive. I also know how to make an object that can fire projectiles. But in a world where this person can go out and purchase the object in which they are trying to make themselves, then yes I will help them.

She asked for 2 pieces of wood joined by rope or chain. Why should I not help with that request. I also believe that the world is full of evil and I truly do not trust many people. But I am also not stupid enough to believe that the world is only filled with people filled with malice. Yes she could go out, build the nunchucks and beat someone seriously or even to death. Not my problem. She asked for the request of knowledge on how build tool originally used by farmers, not "a fertilizer based explosive". And considering we are on a site where martial artists, or even people whom enjoy martial arts, come to converse with each other, and not a terrorism forum, should I think any different?

But you are correct. Woe is me, I gave someone knowledge of how to make a farmers tool that, given there state of mind, could possibly be used outside of the original intent of what they are designed for. Let me guess, you also think guns kill people? Well they don't.

If you chose not to help someone, that is your choice, and is obviously the right one for you. But to criticize someone for helping another is stupid. If you didn't want to offer help then don't. I saw no issues with helping in this request. She could have just as easily googled the information she was seeking, but she asked for help from people whom could possibly give feedback on a personal level.

:banana:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  19. HempStCrew Don

why? as I said before, that information is available to everyone.

20. Dave Humm

Of course that makes everything right.