I want to make my own Nunchucks, has anyone ever done this?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Rosie the Riveter, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Rosie the Riveter

Rosie the Riveter Valued Member

I was talking to a friend via Twitter and he gave me the brilliant idea of making my own nunchucks. I am looking at a pair right now and I seeing how they are made. Although one may say it is impossible to make a pair, I think in theory, anything is possible.

I am curious, have any of you ever made your own nunchucks or even thought about making your own? If so, how did they turn out?

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I did when I was a kid. Turned out great :evil:

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

(Before anyone else gets the question in) what experience with "nunchucks" do you have, whatever they are? I know of nunchaku but not "nunchucks". If the answer to that question is "minimal" then I'd suggest reading this thread.

In answer to your question though, yes I have. Then common sense and soberness kicked in.

4. Rosie the Riveter

How did you do it? I am curious to know more.

5. Rosie the Riveter

Nunchaku are nunchucks and I am modestly experienced. I can freestyle rather well with them.

6. Moi

I think I chopped a spade handle up. Bit of chain and two U shaped nails I'd guess.

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Long long long time ago - probably somewhere around 1975 (Wonder where they are now) Two bits of broom handle drilled a hole in one end of each piece and tied together with some spare kernmantle rope that I had from climbing chocks.

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

This won't end well will it?

*sigh*

Hi Sarah,

Where did you receive your training in nunchaku?

9. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

It's really not that hard. No, I haven't made a pair, but I'm a tradesman, so I can say with confidence that it can't be that hard to link a couple of pieces of wood!

Firstly, decide on your material. The density/weight of your wood will determine how they feel/work. It's up to you how heavy you want them. Make sure you choose a diameter that fits your hands comfortably. If you just want a pair for swinging around, a cut-up broomhandle would likely do. If you plan to hit things with them, get a hardwood hanbo and cut that up.

The link can be chain or rope, up to you. The crucial thing is the quality of the join where the rope or chain connects to the wood. If the come apart during use they will most likely hit you in the face, or some other sensitive part of your anatomy. The simplest and cheapest way would be with a rope threaded through the end of each piece, as shown below.

[​IMG]

Provided you have access to a drill (and preferably a vice) I don't see how it could be any easier or cheaper. If you wan't a length of chain with ball-bearing swivels, as in most manufactured chucks that will cost you more - and you would have to make sure the mounting caps were secured to each handle with a couple of nails/screws (small so as not to split the wood).

Don't trust anything that has been glued together. A mechanical fastener is the only way to ensure safety.

Of course you may be able to find a cheap pair that suits you. Like I said, it depends what you want them for.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  10. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

And I'll be the first to fess up that at the time I made my chucks the only 'training' I had received was courtesy of the movies...

THEY WERE GREAT FUN - except when they hit me... NO, even then they were great fun... "Everybody was Kung-Fu fighting..."

11. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Why are people more interested in derailing the thread then answering her question? If you wish to comment on people training weapons without proper instruction then make another thread. As far as giving hints and ideas you aren't "liable" if she manages to poke an eye out.

12. Dean Winchester

It's called trying to act with a degree of responsibility.

There's enough idiots out there swinging weapons around as it is, not saying you're an idiot Sarah just making a point, we shouldn't be seen to be giving the ok to such practices.

Martial Artist have enough grief legally speaking when it comes to weapons we don't need to be seen promoting unsafe ideas on such a popular forum as MAP.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  13. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

my favourite for 'freestyling' at home was two pieces of plastic tubing joined with some boating cord when I was like 12 :) i did make some on a lathe too at school a few years later, probably wouldn't get away with doing something like that now though, unless the teachers weren't paying any attention. i can't see the point, and it hasn't helped my bo furi

14. Moi

Grown-ups hey? So mean!!

15. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi Dean,

Good point - it IS worth mentioning that in the UK having a pair of nunchuku on your person outside of your own home - unless they are in a bag and you are travelling to or from a martial arts club where you are allowed to practice with them by the instructor - could get you arrested if you were seen / stopped / searched by the police.

On the other hand at home - completely legal and great fun as long as you...
    - Don't injure yourself
    - Don't injure anyone else
    - Don't hit the cat
    - Don't smash the light fittings - I know of a black belt who did that - not me :)

16. Moi

YouTube is full of video like that

17. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Here's a pic with a bit more detail.

[​IMG]

I've not heard of anyone getting hurt too badly with these things. And if they did, they probably didn't remember it anyway. :D

18. Dean Winchester

You just had to open your mouth didn't you?

Guess who has just smashed one of the living room lights!

:bang:

I suffer from bouts of vertigo and sometimes need a walking cane to aid balance. Wife goes "don't forget your stick", even though I didn't even need it, I pick it up walk over to the tv bend down to turn it off and as I stand up and sort of bring my stick over my shoulder BANG! Shards everywhere.

Of course she's convinced I was trying to do Bo furi or something.

19. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

hahahaha!!! we were living parallel lives... though I was constructing mine somewhere around 1978. :p

The biggest danger of building them was my mom finding out what happened to the broom she used to sweep the porch. :(

20. Moi

I'm guessing it'd be a shorter thread with who hasn't made them