I want to learn Kung-Fu should I join this institution?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MsjFreak, Feb 1, 2015.

1. MsjFreak

MsjFreak New Member

Hello everyone.
    I have decided to learn and practise Kung-fu shaolin. Therefor I have searched for a shaolin organization (school) to learn it and I found "Wahnam shaolin institute" founded by the grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit, Institute website:
    http://www.shaolin.org/
    Anyway, I want your thoughts as professionals/knowlidgeble beings about martial arts.
    Should I join their classes? If so why? If not then why not?
    Sincerly,
    MsjFreak
    :)
    (Sorry for my bad english)

2. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Take this at face value as I do not study kung fu at all and am only able to offer a lay persons view on that school. I would suggest finding another school. They talk of 1200euro intensive courses teaching master level chi kung courses, tapping energy from the cosmos, curing illnesses with chi. It all sounds very dubious to me.

That's before the talk of rape (a statement is issued on the link) and I'd definately leave that school alone.

3. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

edit-double post

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Avoid like the plague. Rapesville. Population - Nobody willing.

5. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

The kung fu they teach is legit but, wow, did not know about the rape accusation thing. Sadly, physical, emotional, and or sexual abuse are not unknown in martial arts. They are all facilitated by having an individual in a position of authority over others.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Wong Kiew Kit and his group have several red flags and are generally not viewed positively. They fundamentally don't appear very skilled, they've shown some laughably delusional sparring in the past (although there is some evidence that this is improving) and on the internet they have a pretty cult like mentality (indeed, there's a fair chance that one of them will sign up and challenge me for disrespecting their Sifu) which is a huge turn off for me. Also he's made some pretty outlandish claims about Chi manipulation.
    Where are you?

7. MsjFreak

MsjFreak New Member

Thank FunnnyBadger for your comment. The fees written in the website are different than the fee's I will pay. Because that I will train with a different instructor (Certified on the website list). The fees are about $80/month. So it seems fair to me. What I really care about is their KungFu is a real one or McFu :D + I have asked his students about his manners and ethics, no body complained about them.

Thanks for commenting and sharing your opinion :)
    Can you please include more details about Sifu's institute and his group fundemental training?, and how was their "attitude" while discussing manners?, and more importantly did you ever seen them spar? Where they good? (Your comment shows that they were cowards or loners in a way, but I need more percise information because it's really hard to find a MA instructor in my area and I don't want to quit choosing them for just being insiders -loners-) thank you very much for your comment. I live near Saudi Arabia because in the eastern region due study porpuses.

8. MsjFreak

MsjFreak New Member

These things are indivdual manners and eithals. We cannot judge a whole institute based on one instructor fault rather on an accuasation. The thing is is there Kungfu legit or not ?
    Thank you very much for sharing your opinion :)

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

are there other styles in the area?
    IIRC BJJ is quite popular in some areas of saudi

10. MsjFreak

MsjFreak New Member

I could barely find any Dojo or an instructor in my area. What I can find is:
    Karate, Teakwando, Kungfu
    And the Karate are mostly shotokan (Which is a sport style.Therefor the practise isn't ment to fight but just light touches for score), I havent researched Teakwando instructor much, because I'm not very much of a kick-type person. So the only thing I have currently reached rather found is an instructor from this institute.
    Thanks for your reply :)

11. Ben Gash CLF

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K96tPiw5ZZo"]Shaolin Sparring II - YouTube[/ame]
    From that list I'd go with Shotokan, which is not a sport style but may well have a sportive element.

12. Ben Gash CLF

However how organisations manage such things reflects upon them.

13. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

ShotoKan my friend. You will he surprised how un sport like it Is. That is if you make beyond a year.

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

No judo? No. Boxing? I has a sad :(

15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i enjoyed shotokan when i did it as a kid.

try out all the classes?

16. MsjFreak

MsjFreak New Member

Thank you everyone, I will go with shotokan and will see how it goes like.
    I'm honestly thankful for your replies :)
    Sincerly,