i used my kobutan for SD today...

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Tommy-2guns..., Aug 7, 2006.

1. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

Today i was forced to use my kobutan in a self dfenece situation, feeling uneasy as to weather i could handle the situation empty handed i used my kobutan for a number of strikes and a lock...i no longer doubt this weapons effectiveness as i previously did.
    i Think it is a valuable peice of kit when outnumbered and i recomend it to anyone who if concious of their own perosnal safety, i am angered that these are forbidden by the law, i say carry one anyway or similar keyfob. if i hadnt had mine things could have ended up a little nastier, either for me or the guys involved.

regards

Tommy

2. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

care to go into a bit more detail as to the encounter?

3. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

.....being careful not to incriminate yourself in the process?

Tommy-2-g, did I hear correctly that you heard a rumor that a friend had to use a kubotan in self-defense today?

4. Tommy-2guns...

'it is here-say' that i had to use the kobutan on two guys today who tried to mug me when i was using a phone in a phone box, i was taller than them however the two were evidently a lot more muscular than me, so i thought that at such close quarters grappling with much stronger guys would be foolish, and as striking was out the window so close, ' it is alleged;)' that i used the kobutan, on one man striking hammerfist blows on the collar bone, jaw and then thrusting to the eyes and pinching and twisting with the kobutan on the back of the others neck, causing him enough pain for him to give up resistance and allow me to get away home.

i recommend martial artists carry the kobutan, even if the british 1984 state has banned such a simple and helpfull tool. i beleive the kobutan flows well with any martial arts you practice and requires little training to use effectivly.

5. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Just be sure not to let it slip from your grasp and land in your attacker's hands :D

I love hitting people with things and I've been known to sleep with my weapons tucked in beside me at night. However, I don't think it should be legal for anyone to carry any sort of weapon unless it is a requirement of their profession.

6. AquaNinja

AquaNinja New Member

Ah, but what is a "weapon". Was doing some hanbo techniques last night, and they could easily be performed with a golf umbrella (assuming it wasn't a cheap plastic one).

How is a kubaton particulaly different from a large Chubb key, or in fact one of the tiny mobile phones that exist these days.

I agree you shouldn't be allowed to carry a bowie knife or a Beretta with you on a night out, but when people try to legislate against everything it makes my brain hurt.

7. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Tommy you carry a keyring with you !!!!! (no your friend carries a keyring with them !!!)

8. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

9. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Plain kubotans are NOT illegal to carry under UK law. It is a solid iron or steel keyring, nothing more. Only spiked 'ninja' kubatons are illegal. See below.

However, I suggest you get a mod to delete this thread asap. And don't mention use of weapons (self-defence or not) again on an open forum. Donkey...! :D

10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

The thread stays, even if it will be just used as information for me (the legal quote you posted mainly) when I get round to working on a new sticky for this place :)

11. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

I'm not a legal expert (who is??) but I'd say that whilst carrying anything that you INTEND to use as a weapon is illegal in the UK - USING anything that is to hand, including the thing-a-me-bob that's on your keychain when attacked by two people isn't illegal as long as your actions are in self defence and are proportionate to the level of threat.

In the UK 'reasonable force' is the concept - unlike TEXAS where it's KILL EM ALL :) :) :)

All the best.

Robert.

12. Tommy-2guns...

lol out of interest which concept to favour the most?

13. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi,

For me it's simple - I train so that if I'm out by myself and I'm attacked by the DEADLY BIKER GANG FROM HELL - I can defend myself without hurting them...

Could I do it? Heck no, I'm not that good. But it's why I keep training.

All the best.

Robert.

14. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I can't believe there's a specific statute outlawing the carrying of manriki gusari. How often do you reckon anyone tries to go out with a manriki gusari?

I'd love to hear on the news "Police in Manchester have initiated a manriki gusari amnesty in an attempt to quell the rising tide of 'weight-on-a-string' related crime in the area. Over 70,000 people were killed in the past year in manriki gusari related incidents. Most of them buried the weighty bit in the back of their own head while trying to mug passers-by"...

:D

15. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

It's due to the 80's Ninja craze! Makes things tricky for us Bujinkan folks!

16. ScottUK

Remember the following phrase, people:

"Officer, I am truly sorry for what I just did to defend myself, but I genuinely believed my life (or the person's life whom I was defending) was in danger".

Not a get out of jail card, but if you believe you are in mortal danger, you can respond appropriately.

NOTHING is black and white, though. Be safe (and sensible) out there.

17. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

And how often have you used that whilst standing there in Hakama with sword in hand :D :D

18. ScottUK

I use my sword-based justifiable force about once a week...

19. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Good advice for all.

20. Tommy-2guns...

manriki gusari ? is that the weapon with a ball and chain that i heard was desighned to entrap swords...i understand that is probably not how it was used but thats all ive heard about that weapon.