I train Silat and think about training BJJ!

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by red dub, Jan 8, 2022.

1. red dub

red dub New Member

I train for meditative purposes. I have been researching for years, where is a good place to train BJJ. I grew up in Los Angeles so I decided I will have to move to Los Angeles to train BJJ. I know LA and they have everything there. I want to train Judo concurrently.
    I know how to lock someone while crouching but my style doesn't have prone fighting. My Silat is a mixture of Barak Tuchu/Cimande/Other Styles. I also practice Escrima and Taiji, Bagua and Xingyi.
    I am 45 YO and too old for a competitive trip. I have noticed a lot of schools are only into competition. Joe Rogan plugged the Machado Brothers School in Tarzana.
    I am very interested in BJJ and Judo and if anyone has any good advice for me I would love to hear it!
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

You have to ask yourself, were does your interest for BJJ comes from?

Maybe if you know the answer to that, it gives you an opportunity to look for that in you current Silat or any of the systems you practice.

However, if you can't find it in the Silat you practice, then just try a lesson at aa judo or bjj school.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Why don't you just try a few classes near you first?

Good BJJ is everywhere now.
    (And good judo)

axelb likes this.
  4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

What dead pool said !!

Plus ,there is a difference between training for competition and having to compete. BJJ is founded in competitive sport. You would expect any good bjj club to be interested in attending competitions. However this does not mean that you must compete. My local club has a mix of people who train to compete and people who train for other reasons. Yes you might be left out of one aspect of the club , people bond over competing, but so what? Most of the time in any club is spent training on the mats. ultimately it is how you train with people on the mat that will define your experience.

Dead_pool, axelb and Mangosteen like this.