I think I have somewhat of an eating problem.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by KidCanFight, Mar 26, 2007.

1. KidCanFight

KidCanFight good is not good enough

Hopefully someone can help here.

For as long as I can remember, I have been somewhat overweight. I lost some weight a while ago and am not as much as I was, but still not terribly fit. I am not extremely fat or obese or anything, just a bit fat.

The problem is, I seem to have somewhat of a food addiction. It is not terrible and life threatening like some food addictions, but I want it to stop so I can lose some weight and get fit.

Pretty much, I always feel like eating. Whenever I am full (unless I am full to the point I feel sick) I want to eat something. I will do so, which only makes me feel like eating more, and so the vicious cycle continues. One of the big problems is the food I eat when I am not even hungry is junk food.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to not be in the mood to eat when I am not hungry?

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

2. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hey KCF,

You're young and growing (which may be one explanation) or maybe something else is up. Speak to your parents about your concern and ask to see your local doctor so he can do some simple tests and hopefully give you the all clear.

After that point you can deal with the nutrition issue with more knowledge.

Lily

3. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

You sound like me man. The first thing is that if you are starting to crave food and you ain't hungry that can sometimes mean that you are bored. If you want to find out wither you are hungry or not do a test, drink a glass of water then wait. Sometimes your body just wants water. Make sure you are drinking heaps of water during the day. During class if you can have a water bottle next to you and sip water while doing school work, at work or in front of the computer. Other things you can do is suck on sugar free mints or chew on sugar free gum. If none of this works then go see a doctor because It could mean that your body wants more vitamins, protein or something. Whats your diet like? Are you drinking enough water? I highly doubt Its an compulsive over eating disorder.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  4. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

You know, sometimes you think you're hungry when you're actually thirsty (it sounds weird I know). How much fluid do you drink during the day?

5. KidCanFight

I drink lots of water every day.

Like, 2L-4L. No big issue there. I should drink some while sitting at the computer though.

Edit: BTW thanks to everyone who has helped so far).

6. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

whats your diet like man? Getting enough of vitamins and protein into your system?

7. KidCanFight

Well I try to get plenty of vitamins. I have Vitamin C, Zinc and Multivitamin tablets every morning, as well as fruit w/Yogurt and other stuff through the day.

As for protein, I could probably do with a bit more.

8. strider

strider Valued Member

goto a dietician

9. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

You could get oe of your parents to do their job and clap you about the head and tel you when to stop. Works for mos people

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Edit: misread the original post. :eek:

Willpower is what you need, to say no to yourself. If you really can't do that, then seek professional help. If their are psychological reasons for an eating compulsion then get counselling. Start with your GP.

But try the willpower alternative first. ;)

Good luck. :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  11. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Eat more protein and vegetables then you will be too full.

Weight training would aslo be a good idea.

12. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

1. you need to eat healthy... not diet...just eat better
    2.spread out your meals to 5-6 small meals a day
    3. change your eating habits- it takes around 21 days to form a pattern .... so it takes around 21 days to brake it
    4.you are young and growing and your body requires a certain amount of calories to function, so make sure you are taking enough calories

13. KidCanFight

Thanks for the help so far guys.

I have tried willpower, but it hasn't worked all that well in the past. I think I probably might just eat because I am bored, so I need to entertain myself.

One thing I noticed last night was that I wanted something to eat so I had a glass of Milo and then didn't feel like eating, so that may work to some extent.

14. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

just try to stay away from junk food as much as you can. when you're bored, you can actually use that time to practice some kicks. go outside and run. go out for a walk, or take your bike and go for a stroll around your neighborhood. do you like sports? goto the park and play football with your friends. there's tons of things you can do instead of sitting at home and eating chips.

15. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Give yourself a good reason not to be fat.

Something that ACTUALLY matters a lot to you.

16. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Talk to your parents (if you still live at home) and tell them the situation and see if they will modify their shopping list eg stop buying the crap food.
    If it isn't there you can't eat it. You may have the best intentions in the world but if people around you don't help you with it then its 10 times harder.

G-bells suggestion of 5-6 meals a day is a reasonable one, thus cutting down gaps between meals.

17. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Yeah listen to G-bells, he's the food expert.

18. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

If you're eating mostly junk food, it's highly likely that the majority of foods you consume have a very high glycemic index, which means they trigger a large release of insulin, are broken down quickly, and leave you hungry shortly after you eat them.

Before you see a dietician or a psychologist as some have suggested, I say you try out low GI foods for a while and see if that helps.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Check out this website to learn about the glycemic index and how different foods effect your insulin levels and how long they satiate you.

Another trick is to try eating calorically dense foods with large amounts of mono and polyunsaturated fats. A great example is all-natural peanut butter (not that Jiffy or Skippy crap). A peanut butter sandwich on multi-grain bread is a great way to make you feel full for quite some time.

You can curb your appetite, possibly lose weight, and definitely lower your risk of diabetes by simply staying away from all the simple sugars.

19. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

she meant i went to school for nutrition you ****** :woo:
    don't make me take all 350 whatever and stomp a mudd hole in your **** :mad: :p

whats 350 kilos in pounds anyway?

20. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

350 Kilogram(s) = 771.6179176471 Pound(s)

Excuse me I think I have a friend who may be stout.
    (If you get the refference you are an old git like me:p)