I started taking lessons

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by KidKrav, Feb 14, 2012.

1. KidKrav

KidKrav Valued Member

After a hiatus from martial arts and fitness, I've found some time to get lessons. My friends and I used to watch the old videos with Rorion and Royce and roll around and we had a copy of the Gracie Combatives, but this is my first time getting personal instruction from a high level practitioner. I've wanted to to take lessons for a while, and having been away from my other styles for the better part of a year while saving, now seems like the perfect time.

I'm very satisfied with my teacher, but I'm having trouble deciding where to focus as I don't plan on competing in the near future. I'm not interested in the singular application of BJJ techniques for my self, though I do respect people like my teacher who devote themselves to that pursuit..
    Rather I see the techniques I'll learn as something to add to what I already know from other styles. I don't want my jiujitsu techniques to be reduced or made impractical because I have other influences or because I ignore the possibility of striking.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? And if so what conclusions have you drawn??

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

If you're not focused on competition, you don't need your focus to be anywhere in particular so long as you're getting fit and you're enjoying what you're doing. If it seems fun and it makes you sweat, do it.

3. KidKrav

KidKrav Valued Member

Part of me wants to become a blue belt, which is funny because I don't totally understand what defines a blue belt's level of skill. To make things more confusing my teacher said he doesn't give students blue belts until they're almost at purple level because it's better to be a higher skilled blue.

I'd like to become proficient with the techniques in the Gracie Combatives series while also learning flaws in the system from someone who can point them out and help me diversify. I feel that would make me more well rounded.

For the record, I am enjoying what I'm doing for the time. Just as long as I keep getting better.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Good stuff. You will improve as long as you train consistently. That is the key. Consistently. It's the best way to move forward in most things... but very particular to BJJ. Training in fits and spurts doesn't work.

If you're not interested in the competition aspect of BJJ there is still more than enough to learn and mix with other stuff. Simply from the stand point that anytime a stand up goes south... you can employ it.

Working towards a blue belt is a good goal. At most schools you will find a pretty healthy difference between a blue belt and for instance a white belt. Duh I guess that's obvious... what I mean to say is.... a blue belt will have a good handle on fundamentals... dominant position, splitting the guard, reversals, basic escapes and gameness. Purple again is another level above that. Again it depends on what club your rolling with... but in general that's how it works.

Have fun at it... and make sure you're getting enough recover time. Eat right, sleep right and train hard. :)

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Worry about refactoring in your other training once your a good level purple belt. untill then itll only hold you back from learning the basics. i.e. how to sweep submit and stand up from any guard etc.
    Once you gave these down and youve done a little jits with hits intergrating your other training will be much easier.