I remember Manny

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by shootodog, Jan 8, 2014.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

I remember when Manny Pacquiao was still wet behind the ears. He was called brash and foolish. I say he was finding himself back then.

He has to find himself again, now. I hope that this video will remind him.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOf5FO6_VPs]Manny Pacquiao at 18[/ame]

2. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

What is Manny Pacquiao doing now?

As for Brash: ;) :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXcgZ84ndk"]Prince Naseem Hamed[/ame]

3. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I've never seen that boxer before but he is truly, truly exceptional. You're allowed to be a little brash when you are THAT good.

4. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Watch him vs. Barrera and see him get schooled too. Overrated.

5. Saved_in_Blood

I'm sorry, but with Rios failing his blood test and the issue with Maidana possibly being slipped something I think we know that ariza is dirty. Manny went from having power at the lower weights to suddenly making guys with the best chins in boxing run. He was using and it's as simple as that, THAT is what happened to him. Now he has to use actual skill and box and move. With a good boxer now he has no real power to fall back on and will be schooled. I hope he fights Bradley... I think Tim wins a clear decision this time if Manny will do random testing. If we see that freakish power back again... we'll know what's up.

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

I disagree. That is your opinion and this is mine: Manny lost focus. He became a RJJ.

7. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

Funny that no-one ever says that about Muhammed Ali - who did the same thing in a slightly different way :confused: I guess that's what Naz gets for being so cocky.

Statistically, Naz's record is "better" than Ali's (if you remove the idea of being a gentleman from the word better) i.e:

Prince Naseem Hameds history:

37 Total fights
    36 Wins
    31 Wins by KO
    1 Losses
    0 Draws
    0 No contests

vs. Muhammed Ali's history:

61 Total fights
    56 Wins
    37 Wins by KO
    5 Losses
    0 Draws
    0 No contests

yeah, Naseem was certainly outclassed by Barrera and rightly so, Barrera was a better fighter!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  8. Saved_in_Blood

You would dare compare him to one of the best HW's of all time? Look at the resumes of the 2, I don't recall Ali EVER getting schooled the way Barrera took Nazim apart.

9. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

Wow - this is a real friendly forum!

See ya guys :)

10. Saved_in_Blood

Roy didn't lose focus... he fought like a naturally gifted athlete, but his overall fundamentals sucked.. he used his speed and reactions and didn't add to that any defense. Once he got older and slowed down just a split second he got KO'd. It's not as if he had some huge comeback after that... that's not losing focus. Manny was using and it's as plain as day.

11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Naz was a very skillful boxer, but he was hard to like due to his extreme cockiness. Ali had way more class.

I know that since Ali, a lot of fighters have tried to act the 'motormouth' or the showman, and it does put bums on seats. But in Naz's case I wonder if he ended up believing his own hype too much.

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You bring a fair point to the table, however a fighters talent should never be tested against his record, but rather, the people he has fought.

you seem like a cool guy man, I hope you stick around. We get so many people asking ridiculous questions that we lose patience.

Oh, and SIB can be quite passive aggressive and he's relatively new as well :)

13. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Both boxers were cocky but they have a different, let's say, approach..
    You can see that in every day life too.
    Two different people can say the same thing, but depending on how they phrase it, one could come off as insulting douche and the other as a nice funny guy.

And I also don't believe that you can compare them as a fighters..
    Ali proved how awesome he was, by beating two of the best heavyweight champions of all time, Foreman and Frazier, after his prime!!
    The guy is a LEGEND!
    That's why in almost every top10 heavyweight list there is, he takes either the first or the second place.

14. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

Thanks Dude, it was seeming like everyone just gets backed off here...

...I'll give peace a chance (what no peace emoticon?) :)

15. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

From the footage of both I've seen, they both exploited the boxing range very cleverly. I would agree that Ali did everything else in a good way and Naz obviously rubbed everyone up the wrong way.

Do you remember when everyone hated Chris Eubank?

...and he was a good fighter - right?

16. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Not to mention the lengths he went prove a point, a justified one in my opinion. Lost his prime because of it. He's not just a legend for what he did in the ring, but outside of it as well.

17. Saved_in_Blood

I'm disappointed that you didn't say "mostly aggressive" after that :(

Very good points though. A lot of guys go 30-40 fights undefeated, but look at their record... it's a lot of less than even decent opposition. Now, take a look at Lennox's record... it's FULL of guys who were the top HW's at his time... 2 losses, both avenged and IMO that is was makes him one of the top HW's of all time as well.

18. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

36-1 is not overrated. He didn't fight well against Barrera and the lack of a rematch with a less complacent Hamed is one of the biggest boxing disappointments of the last 15 years.

19. Saved_in_Blood

The problem is that Barrera went on to get stopped twice by Manny, beaten by Marquez, and how many loses against Morales? I don't even recall that one tbh.

You could say that both come off a different way, but Ali was a guy people loved to hate, while Hamed ... well he was just hated more than loved to be hated. Ali had that special persona, that witty, yet charming big mouth that could make you pray he lost his next fight, at the same time put a smile on your face when he won.

20. Saved_in_Blood

I don't care if he was 100-1. He fought a whole lot of tomato cans and he got absolutely SCHOOLED by Barrera... not just beaten.. but completely dominated. Why would a rematch would even have been necessary? It just showed he wasn't the elite fighter many thought he was. Ricky Hatton is one of my boxing hero's, but I can certainly say with his biggest win being over a Kosta Tszyu that came from an injury and long lay off that Ricky was not quite elite either.