I need to bench 185 by monday, can meditation help me?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by AbsoluteHardcor, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

just try it you have alot more lifting potential just have to unlock it. Dont doubt yourself just go in there balls out and lift

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Warm up at a comfortable lift and add smaller amounts as you increase the weight. Get plenty of rest between sets (~5 minutes plus) and have a little caffeine before hand though only enough to stimulate, not to leave you shaky. As you get closer make sure the increments are smaller, a couple of 1 1/2 plates either side as you increase it. When you lift think about pushing yourself down into the bench instead of lifting the bar and keep your eyes focused forward without turning your head. Get a pre workout drink in half an hour before you start of 1/3 protein and 2/3 sugars.

Beyond that praying might help if you're at all religous! ;)

3. AbsoluteHardcor

AbsoluteHardcor Valued Member

Today is D-day guys. Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

4. Nuklz

Nuklz The Ascended

So.............Its Tuesday what happened?

5. jade dragon

jade dragon New Member

It'll be a few days before he can lift his arms enough to type a reply.

6. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

LOL. Poor kid. =)

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Video just in! :lifting:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFc9J3Ix3U0"]Weight Lifting Follies - YouTube[/ame]

8. shitosempei

shitosempei New Member

.........and.....how'd it go?

9. beeran1

beeran1 Valued Member

I LOL'd my A off when I read the title of this thread. Props to you for being honest man. Just outta curiosity, what other outlandish claims did you make whilst drinking last night?

10. Exether

Exether Valued Member

hahahaha. I've been reading this topic waiting to see what happened. Out with it already!@!:bang:

11. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

He still can't lift his hands to type??

12. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

More like he's still trapped under the 185. :evil:

13. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

CF,

LOL. That may well be the case.

14. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Last Activity: Yesterday 09:28 AM

I'm not sure we'll hear about how this ended!

15. RNC

RNC Valued Member

If this guy could actually bench 135x15, then he should be able to bust 185 out a couple times at least.

16. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

Whether the OP could bench 185 or not, he's an idiot for thinking that meditation is going to going to boost his ability to generate force, and I couldn't care less whether he made the lift or not. We don't need even more guys under the age of twenty asking even more stupid questions about weightlifting in general or the bench press in particular.

17. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

1st of all the dude should already be able to bench 185. If he trained properly he should be able to bench 210. My general rule is every rep you decrease in your set you should be able to go up 5 pounds.

By the way, yes meditation does work.

When you stop focusing on the task at hand and tripping yourself up psychologically you just do it.

Now if you physically have the potential you will. If you don't, you better have a good spotter. :)

18. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

So, is this guy still alive?

To Slip:

"It's all fun and games, until someone drops a weight on their head. Then it's freakin' hilarious" :cool:

19. Tansy

Tansy I train ninja guinea pigs

Oh dear, he may have had to make a trip to the local A&E. I hope that he is ok though, you need a spotter training and to do it gradualy and then it should be fine...I hope.

20. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

ROFL! Hilarious.

On the note of meditation, well actually visulisation. The human mind actually can't differentuate between real actions and vividly imagined ones. There are some people that say mental training is as effective, if not more so, than physical training.

There have been many studies on this. In one case, they had 3 groups training in basket ball. The first group did no training at all, the second trained conventually; shooting hoops etc. The final group just sat around imagining they were training. After 8 weeks, the first group didn't make any progress, obviously, but the other two both improved at the same rate.

Obviously, in the above case, this wouldn't help much. Not in 2 days anyway. However, hand in hand with physical training, I could see visulisation playing a very large role in improving in any area.