"I" Method

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by diablo despacio, Jan 25, 2005.

1. diablo despacio

diablo despacio New Member

Hi

Has anyone heard of the I method of stickfighting as presented by Matt Thornton SBG ?

Regards :)

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

It isn't a method of stickfighting - it's a teaching method can can be applied to any martial art.

From an interview on the SBG website...

"As an example, in wrestling a beginner may practice a double leg without resistance at first (what we call the Introduction stage/ introducing the skill), then move on to isolation sparring, just working that double (what we call the Isolation stage/ isolating the skill), and finally progressing to a full on match where you simply fight for takedown, (what we call the Integration stage/integrating the skill into your total game). Throughout that entire process the mechanics of a double leg always stay the same. Someone practicing a double leg on a practice dummy for the first time will work the fundamentals of that move in the exact same fashion as someone who is using it in an Olympic level match."

3. diablo despacio

Cheers Yoda :)

4. diablo despacio

I was curious only because Matt Thornton teaches stickfighting in one day !

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Interesting.

I could teach you Boxing in one day - doesn't mean you'd be able to box.

6. diablo despacio

No but with practice on my part i would only need a couple of days training with you...........................

To correct faults etc

But me thinks your anaology is weak, stickfighting and boxing are completely different !

:Angel:

7. diablo despacio

But have not got time for debate on the subject

Thanks for your knowledge RE the "I method"

Lots o regards

8. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

hmmmm let me see,

Boxing I use timing, distance, footwork, speed & skill to hit you with my hands standing & in the clinch.

Stick fighting I use timeing, distance, footwork, speed & skill to hit you with a stick, my hands, my feet, my elbows, my knees & my head. While Standing, in the clinch & on the ground. O and lets not forget I can try & tap you when ever I want.

Man you were right, they are different, go figure :p

9. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I was gonna say that, dam:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I box like I stickfight, I stickfight like I box, as Remy Presas always said. It's a;; the same:D

10. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Isn't the SBGi stick method called SMACK or something like that? Any body trained in it?

11. Scotty Dog

Never trained it, but I do use the I method (to an extent) when I teach.

I've found the integration phase (i.e. isolated sparring) a good way to translate things to full sparring. I do tend to spend a LOT of time on the introduction phase though.

Pat:- Sotty mate, I couldn't resist ;)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  12. diablo despacio

Sorry i should have explained fully why i asked the initial Q.

I was looking at the actual combative functionality of what i was doing (both empty hands and weapons) as related to today's society that i find myself in (mainly British and Spanish)

So yes i know that today's stickfighting and boxing are the same both, sport orientated and both take a considerable time to learn and both are not practical for the street!!!

After 25yrs of traditional study i have to agree with the Combatives lot when it actually comes down to functionality and what is real and what is not!

Hence my question about the I method and stick training in a day ( of course there is the time you study and evolve with the small amount of techniques taken from that day) for me angle one and four is all that is needed why make it more complex .....

13. Scotty Dog

I dare you to say that last bit to a decent boxer :p

Functionality is determined by what you can and can't apply under pressure. If your not able to apply (or at least simulate) something in a sporting enviroment, how do you expect to do it when someone's tring to take your head of for real.

As for the 2 angle thing, in my class we have a forehand & a backhand shot (they can come in different angles & heights, they can cut through, retract on the same line or stay on the same side ;) ) it never really get's more complex than that.

the hard thing to learn isn't the strike, it's not the footwork to get you in range, it's not the defence that stops you getting hit on the way in/out, it's not learning how to put power in your strike. It's getting the timeing to do all that just right & smack the other guy.

You can't learn that it one day.

14. diablo despacio

I am a decent boxer and used many a pre-emptive left hook with great success (as i'm sure any half decent boxer could)

as to your comment RE; that you have to simulate something in a sporting environment to be able to replicate it when somebody is doing it for real mmmhhh ???
    There are far better mechanisms and training methodologies available to pressure test something other than a sporting environment which is sooo far removed from the real thing as ...............................???????

15. Scotty Dog

Depends on the sporting environment,

If the participents agree to a set of rules,(regardless of how limiting or not those rules are, regardless of the enviroment) and there's an element of competition (in other words your trying to get hit & not be hit). To me it's a sporting environment.

back to the initial subject of this thread, just because you've got a weapon in your hand, it doesn't mean you can become proficent fighting with it any quicker than you can become proficent fighting empty hand.