I know there's a lesson in there..

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by DJHalliB, Nov 19, 2004.

1. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Today in class, we were doing sparring, but not with the usual rules (I play WTF tkd). We started out with light touches with a flat palm to the torso for a couple of rounds, then did a couple of rounds to the head, again just light tapping, then both head and torso and finally with kicks of the same light-tapping manner.

Now, I'm a big fan of full contact sparring, but somehow I found that during this type of sparring, I had an easier time reading my opponent, felt alot more comfortable (even though the contact doesnt bother me), managed to avoid getting hit quite well and had great success with my attacks.

Now the problem is, I know there is a lesson there for me thats useful for full contact point sparring, but I can't seem to spot it.

Any ideas?

2. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

You should use the light sparring to work on techniques that maybe you havent nailed 100% in full contact. Maybe they are just a little off, and throwing them maybe leaves you a little open, and your wary of receiving a full force kick to the head. So practice it light, nail it there, and then apply it in your full contact sparring.

When I practised Muay Thai, we ran through everything light, then added speed and power slowly till we had it 100%. Otherwise I never would throw that spinning back kick ( full uncontrolled, tendency to spin and leave my chin wide open, but no more after much, much practice ).

A lot of people have said that they run through these on pads/punchbag, so they can apply them full contact. Great, super what happens when you throw that slightly iffy one and theres a big size 12 coming at 90Mph at your face?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2004
  3. Swift Kick

Swift Kick New Member

You're typically "looser" in light contact sparring, which is to say you're not all that concerned with power or speed and can concentrate on technique. I hesitate to say things are easier in light contact sparring, not so much as things are just less intense, anyway. Because of that you get to execute techniques in a far more text-book manner in this kind of scenario, it gives you a chance to see what you need to work on and what works best for you, as well as giving you a chance to develop things slowly.

4. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

There's the lesson for you. Doesn't matter what contact level you play with, simply relax. You're body will move easier as it isn't as tense and your mind will be able to get your body to react faster. I actually like the idea of this drill, think I may try it with some modifications to fit my students of course.

5. Kangaroo

Kangaroo New Member

The greatest zen of light contact sparring is the ability to demonstrate true power, grace and control by delivering your blows in such a way as to emulate said power, without damaging your opponent.

This comes into play even if your opponent does not recognize it. It is up to you to realize the power and effectiveness behind your motions. Hopefully your instructor will also pick up on what you are doing right, and encourage your developement to harder contact sparring, where even there the mark of a truely developed student will use restraint while administering effectiveness.

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I imagine the instructor was just giving you a good way to train footwork, breathing, concentration, exploitation on openings and such without having to worry about getting hit hard.

If you work those skills and then take and apply them in full contact, you should be more relaxed, more familiar with the combinations, softer on your feet, and more able to spot a small opening you can exploit.

Even though we are a WTF school that competes "full contact", most of our training is done with various levels of contact from none to medium to full... depending on what skills we want students to actively practice and develop... before trying them out under complete duress.