I know Kung Fu!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Freeform, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

In the 80's we had the movie Ninja, the 90's we Van Damme and an assortion of othe kickboxers, now we have Keanu Reeves (?) and Jet Li.

Having watched a few 'making of' documentaries for the Matrix and Charlies Angels I was just wondering what you all think of these A list celeb's getting taught kung fu by imported chinese masters for half a year and then being connected to some wires for some aerial madness.

Over to you!

2. khafra

khafra New Member

Well, I'd consider it more Wushu, the demonstrative, martial art-based form than an actual fighting art; and as such a harmless diversion rather like Arnold Schwarznegger being taught how to dance for True Lies.
    I think the connection between Hollywood style Kung Fu and dance isn't really that new; look at David Carradine. The CGI is new, but I think people still understand that it's not real, even though it looks better than it used to.

3. Freeform

Schwarzenegger doing Wushu.

LOL

4. khafra

khafra New Member

Heh. That I would pay to see. :D

5. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

*LOL* i think we all would.
    Well he was given a (HONORARY) master level black belt from the WTF Tae Kwon Do for hold his tournament

Chazz

6. Freeform

WHAT? The man can't even pick his leg off the ground its that heavy!

7. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

He doesn't have to Chazz. He can push your head to the ground and stamp on it.

I was impressed by Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, in terms of the way the wire techniques were blended with the free standing ones. Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan & Jet Li, plus many others went for a 'got no strings' approach for a long time. I feel that this brought things a long way.

Now with computer technology, we can make anyone look good. This is possibly a lost opportunity as an outlet for genuine MA. Guys like Philip Rhee ( Best of the Best ), Jeff Speakman ( Pefect weapon ) and others are accomplished artists, but anyone can be made to look this impressive with technology.

If only the technology could be made to help M Artists act, you could have;

Arnold Scharzenegger in Othello

JCVD in Gone with the wind

Steven Seagal in Nico

Anyone remember Joe Lewis????

8. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

The Father of American Kick Boxing!!!! (So he is sometime called)

9. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Its not the fillms or actors that i find irritating, its the people who think they can actually learn MA from them! Ahem!

10. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hey Chazz,

Joe Lewis!

Thomas Vince said he was Ex Kenpo!. I saw a film years and years ago. Day of the Panther or something...........impressive.

So did he and Chuck cross guard?

Very, very fast for a big guy.

And good looking ladies ( so my wife says )

Where is he now?

11. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

Hey, I bet some of us would blow some of these celeb-turned kung-fu action stars away if we were ever put on the big screen. And with the strings and wires added, man we'd be hot:D
    Le'me at'em....hollywood here I come;)