I it detrimental to buy well padded shin pads as a beginner?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by conure1986, May 31, 2015.

1. conure1986

conure1986 Valued Member

Hi again MAP,

I've noticed a lot of the other guys in class have their own shin pads, and I was about to go ahead and buy some when I realised...Is it a good thing for a beginner to actually spend money on these after just a few months? I've bought gloves, a gum shield and hand wraps simply to avoid having a tooth smashed out when I accidentally drop guard, or having permanently swollen knuckles, but should a beginner be using good quality shin pads right off the bat?

Are the generally thinner/lower quality ones provided by the gym going to be better during the initial stages for shin conditioning? My shins don't bruise like they did a few months ago, but they're presumably a long, long way from being actually conditioned.

I know generally the consensus is that better equipment is often a good thing, but thought that maybe that doesn't apply to a beginner, here.

2. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Banned Banned

If you want all that gear, go for it I guess. But to me, when it comes to fighting, there ain't no shin pads or any other protective gear. It's just my fists, my head that uses them, and my iron will that gets me through the fight.

3. conure1986

conure1986 Valued Member

It's a tough one - I want to spar but I'd be kidding myself if I ever thought I'd be a competitive fighter. I expect I'll be competent with enough training but doubt I'll ever be capable of stepping into the ring (especially as I'm starting at 29!).

It's mainly a question regarding light sparring and drills.

4. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

The pads aren't for you, they're for whoever you're partnering or sparring with.

In my fairly limited experience (in terms of MT) the majority of your conditioning will probably be done outside of sparring, when you're not wearing pads (using a heavy bag, maize bag etc.).

Good gear that will last is a must in just about any combat sport.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Qft

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It's that sort of attitude that sees fifty-year olds practically crippled and unable to do much of anything pain-free, wondering where it all went wrong.

You can (and should) train with pads, because that has nothing to do with how to fight for real.

7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

The only reason I can see for buying cheap equipment is if you aren't sure you are going to do MA for very long. If you see yourself doing this for awhile, I suggest going ahead and making the investment in good quality equipment.

Or if you simply cannot afford better equipment.

Why buy cheap, only to have to buy another pair that is better quality down the road?

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you buy it cheap you buy it twice or more eventually.

Buy last years middle class equipment on sale, it'll last and I'll be a good price.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

We're having a conversation about training. Would you like to join us?

10. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Leather ones are ok, I'd just get a pair of £15 elasticated ones, in truth the thick leather padded ones are trainers/pad holders shin pads, fighters wear elasticated ones. That being said many fighters DO wear the leather ones. To me it's like training with Wellington boots on though.

11. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I don't see 29 as too late to start. You've still got plenty of years in you if you take care of yourself and train regularly. I'm a few years older than you and I can still do ballet about as well as or better than a teen at my level. :) :cool: (I can't speak for full contact MA, as I only practice weapons)

12. leeroyjenkins

leeroyjenkins Valued Member

I know this comment is appalingly late, but I only just joined this forum and want to get stuck in...

Most of your shin conditioning will be done elsewhere, i.e the heavy bag. that's where you can get real shin conditioning. I make sure to include in my training 60 roundhouses with left leg and then right leg into the heaviest bag there is. Over time it deadens. I would still reccomend getting shinpads as they are more for your sparring partners and not you

I'm much the same as you though, I have been doing it 2 years, I don't think I will ever step in the ring, I would maybe do one or two, but in all honesty, the fighting is not the problem....its my cardio. It is appalingly bad. I would like a 1-2 minute mark hunt style dust up, but I wouldn't have the cardio to engage in a points battle with some whippersnapper. I would feel satisfied getting in a dust up, but my cardio is so bad that I'm done and I would just be outpointed to a decision victory