I gotta ask :)...

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by KellyOwens, Nov 10, 2007.

1. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Maybe you've all been asked this question before but here goes.

My SIL received her BB in TKD and is now pursuing Ju Jitsu. Her first class is next week. She told me that if you become a BB (or the Ju Jitsu equivalent...I know nothing about your art...sorry :rolleyes: ) that you have to be "registered as a lethal weapon". Is that true? If so, who do you register with...local, state or federal agencies?

Thanks for bearing with my ignorance :D !

Kelly

2. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Absolute hogwash.

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Yes you do
    You register with me. It's £99.99 for hands or feet individually and a bargain £149.95 for the whole package. Paypal accepted*

*Sever - gladly separating fools and their money since whenever the hell I felt like it :D

As you may have grasped; I'm taking the ****. No, this is one of the stupider of the few million stupid martial arts myths doing the rounds

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Yeah, it's a complete load of rubbish, and whoever told her that was either having a laugh or is fairly clueless about the matter themselves ;)

5. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Not in Michigan or any where else I know.

6. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

i had to be registered as mel gibson once.

it was pretty awkward.

7. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Kelly ..........no this is a myth ..ignore the sarcasm from some ..

this question is asked time and time again ....and not in any particular state or country...

kind regards

Smurf

8. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

yea we have all heard the question many many times and ive heard that rumor too. The first reason i never believed it is because it would be almost impossible to enforce and monitor, it would be more trouble than its worth. Im suprised though because so many people know its complete myth yet it continues to be something that soo many people think. Its also kinda weird how it seems like since she got her BB in TKD she moves to ju jutsu like she is done with TKD since she got a BB. Maybe its just me who sees it like that

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I think this rumour comes from the fact that in some courts your martial arts experience may be taken into consideration when the discussion on reasonable force crops up. If they feel you could have controlled the situation without resorting to kicking them in the balls, uppercutting them in the face, flipping them onto the hard floor, jumping on their head a couple of times then breaking all four limbs, you might not be getting off on a self defence plea! ;)

10. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

OK, well that part has some merit. If you get in a physical conflict with someone your black belt could actually be a detriment. Keep in mind the court and/or jury probably has watched a few martial arts movies and expects anyone with skills to control a situation without serious damage to the other person. Your training may give you an edge in a conflict but a prosecutor could use your training against you and make you seem like a lethal weapon who got out of control.

11. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Thanks for the replies all! I had my doubts :).

Kelly

12. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

You were definitely right to! ;)

But maybe if we had to register as slightly less than sane, we'd qualify? Anyone?

13. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Rhea has the correct :D

All I know is that any of our BB's who owns certain training weapon has to have it registered at their local police station or something like that. Nothing about registering yourself as a 'lethal weapon' :p

14. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

The USA does not do that. I almost asked one of the BB in class when I first started if they had to because I had heard that as well, but someone did ask in class and our teacher then started to go on about how there are so many myths about martial arts.

15. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

what's a SIL?

16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

sister-in-law