i got skin cancer for metallica

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by succubus, Mar 20, 2006.

1. succubus

succubus so hot right now

have any of you ever done anything *really* stupid, or managed to injure yourselves to watch or while watching a band you really dig?

metallica came to south africa for the first time this weekend, so a big group of friends and i went to watch the concert. not only were there far too many people in the venue (45 000 at a place that can realistically only hold about 30 000), but it was so badly organised that you had to wait 2 hours in a queue for a drink, and just didn't even think about food...

the only good thing i can say for the concert (besides the obvious wonderfulness of metallica, collective soul and seether, and being able to yell "get off the stage!" at the rasmus and simple plan without them hearing me ;)) was the fact that there were girls walking around with tons of free sunscreen.

having said that- if you ever go to a full-day concert in africa, make sure you bring every sun-protection apparatus known to mankind. the weather was predicted by all to be rainy, so i didn't. i now have first degree burns on my arms and neck, and second degree burns on my face.

this means that not only should i actually be in hospital right now, i also am not going to be doing anything social for the next three weeks or so.

the sun sucks. and yet i stayed on in the baking sun to watch metallica. for most other bands i would've just gone home.

so what stupid things have you guys done for a band?

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

nowhere near as bad as that, but I walked from one end of dublin to the other, with no real idea where I was, through what I now know as rough areas and all, to go see........

metallica

:D:D

3. Almost got crushed in 1996 when I was 8 years old. Seeing Metallica at Earls Court Road. :D

I grew up on them. It's a shame how terrible they are now.

4. succubus

far from it. i thought they were incredible. they've got such a good live act.

perhaps it's because i'm not really spoilt for choice here, though. :p

wow. metallica seems to be really bad for people. i'm thinking of writing to their publicist and seeing if i can get free tickets to their concert in tokyo when i'm there in august. ;)

5. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

you'll write them a letter saying 'your shows are really bad for people, can i have some tickets to one of your shows?' :D

6. succubus

yes! :D it's like when you write to a company complaining about their product and they send you a huge box full of... the same product.

hell, a girl can try, can she not? :p

7. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Maybe they were punishing you for using Napster? (Go on, admit it) ;)

8. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Metallica are amazing. I saw them live twice, back in the days when they were at their best, during their "...And Justice For All" tour.

Just thinking about it has made me stick "Master of Puppets" on. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Maybe not worth getting first degree burns over though. :cry:

9. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Didn't happen to me (Obviously) but somoene died at the metallica concert I went to. Crowd control was awesome at that event :woo:

It does seem that the band has a bad influence on people.

10. Wax

Wax Valued Member

Though I've never had a major injury (beyond concussion from a stray pair of Docs) I've seen a few. Saw a horribly broken arm, remember, if you are going to do a massive stage dive make sure the people below are willing to catch you. Seen much blood from cut eyebrows, ripped peircings and bruised noses.

The worst was at Big Day Out a few years ago, Limp Bizkit were playing and we decided to leave the stadium to see someone else as it was getting too dangerous. Quoth my bro in law "Someone is going to get killed in here". We were just out the gates when we heard the music stop. A 15 yo girl died in the crush. :'(

Remeber kids, the person next to you in the mosh is your responsibility. If they fall, pick em up. If they look distressed, help them to the back. If they look panicked, make some room by taking two steps back (you may need to tell the people behind you to step back to, just yell "space!").

11. succubus

Taff- ha! i've never used napster. quite honestly. :p i was a dj for years so always bought my own cds.

anyway.

MWDAndy- not first degree. second degree. first degree burns in south africa are minor sunburn. :p and it was kinda worth it. we'll just see how it heals, and then i'll let you know. :p

Wax- yeah, i generally only mosh at small gigs. at something this huge it would've just been suicide. i had golden circle tickets (the fenced-off part in front), so i just stood at the back of that, where there was a bit of space, and jumped around. it's much more fun. ^_^

but i have seen some crazy things happen at small gigs (around 200 people), especially with the punk bands. people go nuts. which *really* sucks if you're the photographer standing in front trying to do your job. :p

12. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

You put yourself in harms way for Metallica? Dude. Theres nothing more metal than that. \m/

13. succubus

steeeeeeeeeel!

14. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

Hyeahaar!

15. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

I got crushed at ozzfest during soulflys performance. the crowd swayed left and someone trod on my foot so i couldnt move with everyone else. i didnt get much more than a few bruises and cuts (battle scars) but it was scary as hell :eek: i then proceeded to walk up to the hill and pass out under a newspaper, sleeping right the way through tools set ( :bang: ) partly through excess alcohol, partly through exhaustion and partly through injury related fatigue.