I don't see the difference

Discussion in 'MMA' started by wayofthedragon, Aug 24, 2003.

1. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

Or am I not looking hard enough:confused: What is the big difference between vale tudo and brazilian jujitsu? Is there any. I trained in Brazilian jujitsu, then I began to hear about vale tudo and saw some of it, and it seems like its basically the same thing. So what's the difference?

2. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

BJJ = pure grappling - only positional control, joint locks, chokes.

Vale tudo = anything goes - kicking, punching, positional control joint locks, chokes.

3. wayofthedragon

ohhhh.....okay. Thanx a lot.

4. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

Vale Tudo is basically the no holds barred style of competition that stems from BJJ , have BJJ competitions where striking is not allowed and the vale tudo side where anything goes, the roots are the same just some of the branches are a bit different!!

5. wayofthedragon

even clearer.....thanx;)
    When I was learning Bjj, We never did any striking, but my instructor would say in an actual fight, anything goes...punching while in the gaurd or mounted position. Kicking, everything. I guess he was referring to the Vale tudo side of it:confused: I just never heard the name vale tudo in relation to Bjj untill now. But I knew they had to be connected somewhere. They were just too similar not to be. And now I know:D